Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The shorter filter was originally used on engines that had the oil filter screw onto the oil cooler, but, in most cases, the longer filter (the 15208-9E01A) will work and fit just fine. On some of the Nissan front wheel drive engines that had that type of oil cooler, the longer filter would also fit but might rub against the plastic liner, so the shorter filter might make more sense in those applications.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If we are talking about 2nd Gens, there are two different filter numbers. The only difference is one is shorter. With the filter housing coming out of the side of the engine on the 4 cyl the longer filter won’t fit. It will hit the frame rail before it aligns to thread on. Had this happen to me on one of the first few oil changes on my truck. I think it was with a filter sourced from the dealer, but it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier Crew Cab SV
58 Posts
Never knew getting a oil filter could be so complicated. I want the longer one for my 2019 V6 when I do my first oil change. 15208-9E01A Opps Amazon says this filter doesn't for my 2019 Frontier! WTF? Made in Mexico?
:)

·
Premium Member
10,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,028 Posts
Never knew getting a oil filter could be so complicated. I want the longer one for my 2019 V6 when I do my first oil change. 15208-9E01A Opps Amazon says this filter doesn't for my 2019 Frontier! WTF? Made in Mexico? View attachment 315207 :)
It will fit, they just haven’t vehicle specifically checked it yet. The 2020 Frontier has a different engine now but would
bet these filters too will work.

Clint

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Never knew getting a oil filter could be so complicated. I want the longer one for my 2019 V6 when I do my first oil change. 15208-9E01A Opps Amazon says this filter doesn't for my 2019 Frontier! WTF? Made in Mexico? View attachment 315207 :)
The 15208-9E01A will work on any VQ40DE engine. It makes sense that the filters are made in Mexico since Nissan has the Aguascalientes, Mexico, plant. The Nissan "made in Mexico" oil filters are made by Gonher Auto Parts in Mexico:

But, Nissan oil filters are made by several different manufacturers worldwide, including Mahle, Sakura and Union Sangyo. There are also several different part numbers that are basically the same filter, including 15208-9E000, -9E01A, -31U00, -31U0A and -31U0B (and so on). Are there better oil filters on the market? Probably.. But, all of the genuine Nissan filters are made to manufacturer specs at the very least.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll stick with the Wix 57356XP. $11.99 at O'reily's. Does not have the paper element like most others. That with Amsoil 5-30 signature series.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use a Baldwin B1402, but the B1400 is shorter and the B1431 is longer for anyone wanting additional filtering capability.

Just grabbed a B1402 off amazon for around $5.78 last one. Will not be changing for another 2k. Seems like a well built filter. Thanks for the reference!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mahle OC707 is what I'm running from now on. Cheap, No clatter on start up.

Local dealership changed hands and are now charging nearly $20 for an OEM filter!

·
Banned
583 Posts
Personally I've never ever seen or heard of an oil filter failure from anyone. Minus the "I had an uncle" story.any of the filters sold nationally should be more than adequate for any vehicle sold today.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I got into a pretty big fight with a dealership over this a few months ago,

I bought an oil filter from them since I was already there for other things, I went to install it and it wouldn't fit on, i ran up to discount auto and bought a right filter, sure enough when I got the old one off I used my micrometer and measured the thickness of the threads and of course it wasn't the same.

I went back to the **** hole dealership a few days later and they tried denying my return, it took the shop manager and a few other people almost screaming in the lobby over a 9 dollar return, they were arging with me that the filters are the same, I told them I would give them a 100.00 bill in my wallet if they could install it on my truck right then and there. I asked them over and over to get a mechanic and told them the size of the threads were different, they stood their ground until I threatened I would leave the worst reviews online for them.

After literally 1 hour I got my money back with them still swearing it was the right filter

·
Registered
867 Posts
Made in Mexico?
Sure. Mexico enjoys a place in two free-trade zones covering basically all of north and south america, and if most or all of the Nissans use filters produced at that particular factory, it's a no-brainer to manufacture for this hemisphere there.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Personally I've never ever seen or heard of an oil filter failure from anyone. Minus the "I had an uncle" story.any of the filters sold nationally should be more than adequate for any vehicle sold today.
Back in the mid-80s when I started working for Nissan, Purolator oil filters would sometimes cause the oil light to come on when used on some of the Datsun engines, but I'm not sure why? As far as I know, it's not the case today and would agree with you, however, some filters do a better job of getting debris out of all than others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mahle OC707 is what I'm running from now on. Cheap, No clatter on start up.

Local dealership changed hands and are now charging nearly $20 for an OEM filter!
That's ridiculous. I work the customer counter at our local Nissan dealer and I sell them for $6 regardless of who it is (retail for $8.53) and the crush ring. No reason to be selling them for $20. Beyond ridiculous

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's ridiculous. I work the customer counter at our local Nissan dealer and I sell them for $6 regardless of who it is (retail for $8.53) and the crush ring. No reason to be selling them for $20. Beyond ridiculous
Yeah, definitely not right. They also needed my VIN# and took 10+ minutes to find the right filter before saying "So.. It's like $18+ tax, do you still want it"... I declined obviously.

Sucks because it's 2 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lol, don't need the vin either unless that person had just started. Even then though, you shouldn't need it. Both of the filters would work on a 4cyl Frontier but personally, I sell the one that it calls for. So if said person says they need an oil filter for a 4cyl Frontier, I give them a 65F0E and 9E01A if it's a V6. Just saves any kind of discussion when there doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Assuming the same thread pattern and gasket diameter, with a manufacturer-suggested 5000 mile oil change interval I'm not really all that worried even if one uses the smaller of the two filters on the V6.

When a friend of mine used to build big block Chrysler engines, he'd spin-on a Neon filter before painting them. The Neon filter was tiny but had the same mounting surface as the old PH8 and PH43, so he could paint the engine without obstruction and without getting paint on the oil filter mounting surface, and he'd often leave that Neon filter on when he did the install, replacing it with the right one once the motor was in.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts