Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

To save me trolling through posts, does anyone know of an aftermarket (or cheaper genuine) source of diesel fuel filters for the D40?

I have no great objection to paying nearly $200 for the filter if they can't be bought for a better price, but obviously if I can get them cheaper I will :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Geeeez where are you buying your filters from ??? They $120 trade , I doubt that you can just fit any old filter as you have the water sensor and return line cooperated into the unit further more the filtration is super super fine something like 1 or so microns

Dont F$^& with it $120/40'000km=$0.003/km cheap

·
Registered
509 Posts
get hold of Nizzbits see what price he can do.

if you often get crap in the fuel concider fitting another filter in front of the stock one. that will reduce the need for the main filter to be changed so often.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geeeez where are you buying your filters from ??? They $120 trade , I doubt that you can just fit any old filter as you have the water sensor and return line cooperated into the unit further more the filtration is super super fine something like 1 or so microns

Dont F$^& with it $120/40'000km=$0.003/km cheap
You're right of course - the technical aspects of the filters cannot be the subject pf penny pinching. However as is often the case, after-market filters of equivant quality can be sourced. I'm not trying to fit "any old filter" - I know that the water sensor etc is required.

Unfortunately my local Nissan dealer doesn't move on prices much....not even for a return customer like me (I have bought 6 vehicles from this dealership), and the dealer on the other side of town still wanted $6 more....so I ended up having to spend $183 for the filter.

As I'm not in the trade any longer, I don't qualify for "trade pricing" so have to pay good old fashioned retail.

However I am changing my fuel filter at 20K because of the fact that (a) I spend a lot of time in the scrub and (b) I installed an auxilliary tank about 1K ago and it's time to change the filter.

Agree with what you say however, a few points of a cent per km is not to be argued with - however with Nissan spares only open during business hours, it's not convenient for me to get my parts from them. For example - I use Ryco oil filters because I can buy them from any local AutoBarn etc. Change my oil every 5k because it's cheap insurance...

But if there were fuel filters available aftermarket, at a location more convenient than the dealer (ie, open on weekends for example or via mailorder) then I would buy from there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What year D40 have you got?
I have some for series one that will not fit mine gen parts , I dont think you will find Ryco doing filters for the D40 as the filters are made exclusive for Renault in Germany somewhere

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Martin, but mine's a later build - mid 2008. I require the 16400-ec00b part number.

Looks like Mann are developing a filter that will fit. Not sure on availability though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer mate, and I do appreciate it - however I might just hang off for now and see if an aftermarket one comes along. I've got another 20K up my sleeve now :) Plus, the old one went into my "spares box" for heading out into remote areas.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Once you have removed the old filter I would not use it again as moisture will find its way into it and thats the last thing you want going into the pump , in about 20k I will be ready for another filter myself

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive never cleared the ecu after changing fuel filters never had a problem i change mine every second oil change which is 10000km king cabs are about $50 each i think so not so bad. Ryco do actually do a filter for D40 utes I recently asked at repco

·
Registered
619 Posts
At 10k the learning curve wont not get high enough to effect the filter change, mark my words you try changing the filter at 40k and see how far you'll get

What is the Ryco part number as I'm only aware of filters for the early D40's are available these filters were the same as the D22 , From Series 2 in the D40 range the filters changed to to expensive type

Changing your Diesel fuel filter every 10k is a waste of money unless your fuel is up the Sh!t.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive seen way too many common rail trucks that have 2 fuel filters one being a water seperator and filter second a fine filter have problems due to australian crappy fuel i would have changed at least 8 injector pumps and 100 injectors in 10 months working for isuzu and cause is bad fuel. Trucks that had filter changes done more often didn have as many problems as those who followed the book.
My fuel filter is only around $50 or $60 off nissan I change oil every 5000km and fuel every 10000km these engines should have a primary and secondary filter fuel in aus is crap not very clean at all and water is a big issue also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ive seen way too many common rail trucks that have 2 fuel filters one being a water seperator and filter second a fine filter have problems due to australian crappy fuel i would have changed at least 8 injector pumps and 100 injectors in 10 months working for isuzu and cause is bad fuel. Trucks that had filter changes done more often didn have as many problems as those who followed the book.
My fuel filter is only around $50 or $60 off nissan I change oil every 5000km and fuel every 10000km these engines should have a primary and secondary filter fuel in aus is crap not very clean at all and water is a big issue also.
You have me intrigued Ozkingcab - why change your oil and filter every 5K? I assume that you are using fully synthetic oil and unless you are burning up the racetrack or always running off road in dusty/dirty/harsh conditions this oil should easily function effectively for 10K.....shouldn't it??? Recently did a 19K trip across 4 deserts and I did change the oil and filter every 5K but for normal running I'll leave the change to 10K.
I also have no intention of changing my fuel filter more often than necessary....the damn thing cost $180 for the non-trade person.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I change my oil and filter every 7k on std oil and 25k on F/syn with a filter change 1/2 way

I still dont believe you can get your filters for 50 bucks notice there is no mention of that ryco part number?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I havent gotten that part number because i didnt ask for it he showed me on the computer that they were available I didnt need one at the time so why get the part number.
I change oil every 5000km because i live on a farm my job is at a mine site which to get there i drive thru forestry every day i have 2 water crossings and also very dusty.
My 08 king cab also has a issue with dust going straight thru air filters.
I use semi synthetic oil have since new.
Ill dig up my receipts for my fuel filters when i get time but i know for sure my fuel filters have not been over $100 including buying air filter or oil filter with it so this is why i think my fuel filter is in the 50 to 60 range

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok I have finally had time to scratch myself and clean my ute found my reciepts for fuel filters and they have been $45 each time genuine nissan fuel filters im not sure why king cabs are so cheap.
When i bought my first filter they hadnt even gotten any of this particular fuel filter in to the country yet ever..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got a local diesel workshop checking up on after-market options for me. He has an older build (Spanish built) D40 diesel and it has two filters - the water separator mounted on the passenger side, the other one mounted on the drivers side where mine is mounted.

For whatever reason, Nissan decided to integrate the water separator into the main filter body on later builds like mine - and the filter costs substantially more.

Anyway, now that I am back from holidays I will be going to see the diesel guy tomorrow. He was trying to locate an aftermarket filter housing assembly which I can retrofit. Something that uses standard CAV style filter elements, with a water separator on the bottom. Will hopefully find out more tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts