Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else keeping track of their MPG's?

Here is what i have for the last 6 months

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't keep detailed records of consumption for my vehicles any longer - mainly just work out the numbers at each fill.

Your figures look about right according to what I have been getting however.

Before I fitted the larger tyres, roof rack etc, I used to get better mileage. However since the speedo is now reading accurately (according to my GPS), my mileage would have been 5.3% optimistic compared to now anyway.

I work my figures in litres/100km. So I was getting roughly 11l/100km before fitting the bigger rubber etc. That equates to an exact translation of 11.55l/100km. Taking into account the greater rolling resistance of the different tyres, wind resistance from teh roof rack etc, I am satisfied with my current 12.1l/100km (last fill yesterday). I believe that equates to approx 23.5mpg.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I get mid 10L/100Km but if i travel freeway at 120kph it pushes me out to 11L/100Km . thats with the 33" tyres and with accurate speedo off GPS

·
Registered
170 Posts
I generally get about 28 MPImperialGallon around town, similar on the HWY.

yesterday I towed a commodore (1500 kg) on a 660 kg trailer about 8 km from my old place to my new place, it was all accelerate to 80 km/hr, brake to a stop, rinse repeat, and I according to my scanguage I was getting about 18.8 MPImperialG (16 l/100 km)which i reckon is pretty good and probably worst case for towing- it was still falling when i reached my destination.

·
Registered
182 Posts
my first tank got me to the snowys and half way back, 800kms. now i struggle to get 650kms out of 68 Litres, which ever way i drive.
mate of mine was getting not more than 450kms from a tank.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Carrying a constant load of 1200kg and hilly terrain I used to get 11.8 / 12.4L/100KM and on a trip still loaded that came down to 11.4L/100K. Since I have gone over to LPG enhanced I average 8.4L to 9.5L/100k and on a trip with no load 7.8L/100k

I once drove from Sydney to the Gold Cost and back loaded with the Family and kids gear on one tank of Diesel (150L) and one tank of LPG (50L) :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
GDay Martin

Hey mate a while ago you were playing with different jet sizes for your diesel/gas set up what size did you settle on in the end.

Cheers Sproga

·
Registered
619 Posts
I ended up with the 45 jet
The 40 was good but I found that I would still have LPG after the main diesel tanks ran dry , now that I'm using the 45 jet I run out of LPG first which suits me fine , I did go to the 50 jet and still no "pinning if you like" and found that in the wet I would loose traction everywhere sure was fun for a little while but to dangerous for every day drive and the fuel economy got down as far as high 6L/100k

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for that Martin

Is that running the standard 80lt tank in your nav as i have a 150lt in mine. I see alot more advantage useing gas than fitting a after market chip,fitting the chips reminds me when we used to screw the pumps up on trucks to make them go harder on express and i know there are alot of benefits to be had in heavy transport by useing gas.Just need to decide who to use.My Navs only 2 years old so dont know if it effects the warranty or not shouldnt do. its not like your altering anything just changing the fuel propertys.so a 45 it will get.Cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
I fitted a 150L from here Long Range Automotive I dont like Plastic tanks out in the bush as there is F-all you can do with them it had to be steel I also like the fact that it has a drain plug, something the plastic tanks do not have

The LPG tank is a 60L tank that is classified as 50L usable as you should opt somewhere between a 3:1 ratio of both fuels, my tank is in the tub as I could not find a tank/tanks that would not protrude lower than the chassis rails decreasing my clearance. I have a slider draw system in the rear for all the tools etc and due to the weight I carry air bags were a must to stabilize the ride as best as poss. The filler I mounted to the center of the rear bar next to the number plate this way I can fill up from both sides of the bowser

Do a search at this site I posted pictures etc when I first installed the system
I ended up buy the kit fitting all the hardware and letting my Gas man do the high pressure side, I ended up fitting a kit from here D-Gas Diesel-LPG Enhancement the reason for this was purely because I dont like injecting/fumigating the LPG before the Turbo , in short having a charged intercooler with LPG in a front on would be a nasty outcome

Warranty wise there are some Dealers that just say sorry the engine has been modified and they will not let you say another word , even tho we all know it is only mixing air at the intake , the dealer in Penrith will at least look at a problem despite the gas being fitted , I phoned Nissan Aust up about it and was told in not so many words just go and try another dealer. I than asked if all Dealers were now franchised a 10 sec pause before another word was spoken pretty much confirmed that they are

What part of the state are you in ? your most welcome to check out the system fitted and running

Cheers Marty

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gday Martin

Thanks for the offer to check out your set up on gas but you live in the NRMA state and i live in the RACWA state so that wont happen in the near future.I am a big user of diesel so have a good understanding of gas/diesel set ups and how it is performing in the heavy trucking industry.
I agree with you that gas/diesel is a prefered option and has far better benefits than chiping diesels,chiping diesels just reminds me of when we used to screw up the pumps to get the trucks to go harder years ago.I am running the same brand of 150lt tank as you to so i will just stick close to what you have done, the gas tanks is whats going to be my sticking point as the back of my well body is full all the time.
I can tell you though from years and years of fuel records you do not get as many bangs for your bucks as you did from the old diesel mixtures, you use alot more to do the same things, as diesel fuel went through euro 1 to euro 4 the fuel economys went down and thats were gas/diesel is coming into it own by give the diesel a tickle up and replacing lost power and increasing fuel economy thats been lost.
Well thanks again for the offer.Cheers Sproga:fantastic:

·
Registered
619 Posts
You sure are long way from home LOL .Old spec Diesel I which the smelly stuff would come back at least you knew the Cetane rating was better than the crap we get these days, OH the old days where by adding some "moth balls to your tank" gave you more bang for your buck LOL wouldn't dare doing that on today's engines, on average without playing around with the jet size you will save at least 2 or 3L per/100km driven SURE you say, I didn't believe it either but you do, the power is a lot smoother and more usable throughout the engines rev range

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ok just to open the bidding a little
I just drove to Sydney and back ( I hate Funerals) and according to scangauge its running like 11.7liters per 100km and we sat on 120 kmh all the way.
2 fat buggers in front and one pinhead n a child in the back and we werent dribbling along

Not bad for a Petrol beasty

I did however have the air at 42psi all round and drove as much as possible on cruise

·
Registered
619 Posts
LOL can of worms .......... I think any diesel owner would tell you that hwy driving and on cruise gives you some phenomenal figures with a diesel, when it comes to hauling heavy loads diesel will out gun any petrol engine

I would say if I left my truck unloaded and drove it to Vic I would get nearly the same fuel mileage if it was only half loaded , once you are at the 120km mark there is very little throttle response required to keep it there , my return would be around 7.4L/100km driven this is the best I have to date I'm not going to try to better it , sure I can just sit on 90km and you might get another 0.5L/100k driven

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Martin or other Members

Do you have BP Ultimate Diesal over there, we were the 1st to get it here about 2 years ago then i was told Queensland was getting it next??? it was meant to be what 98 ron is in petrol. I tried it for 3 months and it made no differance at all,the only thing it did was unload money out of the pocket as it was allways about 5/6 cents more a litre and did zip.
I have kept fuel records for the 2 years i have had my Navara which i got new and i no sirnixlot asked about fuel economy and i can say that is figures converted back to litres and ks works out about the same as my records that i have, a good site for anyone wonting to convert there fuel figures is www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/fuel_efficency
(Saves useing the head to much)
As a matter of interest i add a litre of Castrol tq111 automatic transmission fluid every time i fuel up with diesel i never part fill, its allways around the 130+litres and i do that to my fuel because i dont beleive there are enough lubrecating propertys in the fuels to day and thats the only reason i do it so hopfully i will get a nice long pump life and anything else to do with the fuel system, if you only have a standard tank of 80 litres i would only add a cup full.So in time i will see if it pays off.:noworries:

Cheers Sproga

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah we have the higher Cetane Diesel over here as well but not in my area, for me the gas kinda takes up the slack today's normal diesel lacks.

I would look and ask around before I would add tranny fluid don't forget the new diesel engine are designed to operate efficiently on this fuel also I read somewhere that using Bio-diesel de-laminate something inside the pump over prolonged periods of use and pumps are not cheap for these suckers I wonder if adding tranny fluid would have the same effect?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was told the same thing by the GM of Nissan Jamaica, the pump and the injectors "corrode" or something of the sort

sucks that it's confirmed now as i would have liked to run the bio

side note i just got 23.78mpg with the new turbo :) with lots of WOT action

·
Registered
69 Posts
I havent heard of any crd diesals likeing bio fuel.I have been adding a litre of tranny oil to the nav for 2 years now no side affects at all, i dont see it being any different to adding mollroys additives which i use and add every second fill up to the truck which is comeing upto 970.000klms and hasnt been touched, had to replace compressor 200.000k ago, full service every 20.000k, had afew hot sets done (tune ups) normaly wear and tear items replaced etc and the donk,s only burning about 5 litres for every 20.000ks so im hoping my tranny oil give me the same benifits in the nav as mollerys time will tell lol. Wont push the truck past a million ks though be in my interest to do some open heart surgery on the donk.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will always appreciate input from higher mileage owners but...wtf did you just say?

·
Registered
619 Posts
In short he said he has always used tranny fluid as an upper cylinder lube much like "RedeX"for petrol engines, because today's Diesel does no longer have its lubrication qualities like it used to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts