Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought my 2016 Frontier. It has the basic bumper to bumper 3yr/36K mile and 5yr/60K mile power train. Then dealer lifetime powertrain warranty. They told me I need to have all recommended services done by them or by ASE certified techs. I think some of the corner oil change shops have ASE techs? I usually change my own oil but I guess I will let someone else do it on this ride

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just bought my 2016 in March and I got the complete lifetime warranty with it from St Augustine Nissan. As far as I know right now, the only catch is you MUST have all the scheduled maintenance done at a legit Nissan dealership so it is documented. That means at 5000 miles I can't take it to Jiffy Lube and have them throw in new oil, it has to go to Nissan to have it done, even if I hand them the Mobil1 or Royal Purple synthetic oil that I'll insist on that I purchased myself. They still have to be the ones doing the maintenance. I did get the first 3 years of maintenance thrown in with the purchase contract at least so I don't have to worry about that.

Really not sure how this warranty will work with them right now, it's been 21 years since I bought a vehicle and stuff has changed a LOT since then. I know none of the other dealerships here in north central Florida advertise or offer this warranty for new vehicles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will have to ask the dealer again about my lifetime warranty and services. I think they said I had to use ASE certified shops for service. I assumed I don't always have to use Nissan shops but I will find out before going anywhere else for maintenance. I usually service my own vehicles. This will be new for me!
As for running synthetic, I would make sure you get a couple oil change intervals in before you switch to Mobil 1. I know a guy, bought new Ford F150. I think it had 2500 miles on it when he changed oil to synthetic oil, then changed it every 4000 or so miles. The truck was burning oil like crazy for a new truck. Using a couple quarts in less than 5000 miles. In the owners manual it pointed out NOT to switch to synthetic until the engine had 10-15,000 miles to allow for proper break-in. He found that when it had around 25K on it. I think that truck was an 04 model year.
Being this has the lifetime warranty I don't care what oil they put in it. I've never been a fan of synthetic oils anyway but as long as it is covered to their specs then what difference does it make? It blows up, they replace it , happy owner right? I think the key to any engines survival is just steady maintenance, including changing antifreeze every year or two. All this aluminum/steel they use corrodes, good coolant prevents it. I've changed a lot of headgaskets that I think may have been prevented with good coolant over its life.

Congrats on your new truck, I am very happy with mine! Hope to run the wheels off it! lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's a good thing to know. Maybe I'll hold off on synthetic for the first year or so. I run only royal purple in my 1995 Nissan hardbody. That truck has never had a single thing break on it save for the most recent transmission job. Other than new tires/belts every 5 years, new battery/brakes every 10 years and the annual oil/filter change, it's gone 21 years without a single thing failing, so I'll stick with the synthetics on it. That said, it's darn near impossible to kill those 1990's 4 cylinder trucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those old hard bodies are great trucks! I bought a 1988 d21 with a blown headgasket back in the fall. Was able to just replace headgasket(and fluids,etc). After I was done it ran so quiet you could barely hear it running at idle. That truck had 249,000 miles on it. The kid that bought it from me later drove off with a smile. It was a really nice running truck for an old one!

Might be worth looking into the new truck break in period. Nissan may specify what a proper break in time is, then you would know when it is safe to swap over to the synthetic if you decide to. After witnessing it with that Ford, its something I won't forget. Its a shame to have a brand new truck that continuously burns oil forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you got a "warranty thrown in" deal or a dealer that adds it to every vehicle, you paid for it somehow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No extra charges for the lifetime warranty. I expect they assume I will always service the vehicle at the dealership, which is money for them, plus they also assume I will screw up before the truck is too old and make the warranty they offer void. I bet 90-95% of vehicles they have given this plan to have lost the warranty before the factory warranty wore off due to people not servicing vehicle within Nissan specs.
They charged no dealer fees, no delivery charges, nothing extra aside from the price we agreed to with my trade.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No more lifetime at Nissan of St. Augustine

Just bought a new '16 S King Cab less than a month ago and asked about the lifetime warranty. First, it is only a powertrain warranty, not a comprehensive one. And, I was told they no longer offer it. The service manager told me it was simply too costly and complicated to manage and they have discontinued it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought my 2017 last week, and it has the "warranty forever". I do have to get the service done at the dealer or at a certified shop. I have some local shops that are certified. I will have the service done for at least a while, but I'm not sure about long term depending on costs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got free oil changes and a free lifetime powertrain warranty included. My end of the deal is I have to get all maintenance done by the dealership. I am undecided on if I'm going to go through with it. Free oil changes are nice but the last time I had a dealer do an oil change, I was stuck there for almost 3 hours. And I don't relish paying them to change a cabin air filter when I can get one on eBay or at Napa and put it in with no tools. The gamble of course is I might need that powertrain warranty at 150k or whatever.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got free oil changes and a free lifetime powertrain warranty included. My end of the deal is I have to get all maintenance done by the dealership. I am undecided on if I'm going to go through with it. Free oil changes are nice but the last time I had a dealer do an oil change, I was stuck there for almost 3 hours. And I don't relish paying them to change a cabin air filter when I can get one on eBay or at Napa and put it in with no tools. The gamble of course is I might need that powertrain warranty at 150k or whatever.
And during those 3 hour oil changes every 5,000 miles they are hoping they can snag you and reel you into a new car while waiting... Them fresh baked cookies in the service dept are laced with mood enhancing drugs... lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
And during those 3 hour oil changes every 5,000 miles they are hoping they can snag you and reel you into a new car while waiting... Them fresh baked cookies in the service dept are laced with mood enhancing drugs... lol
Yep, exactly. Expect a phone call from a sales person every time you bring in the vehicle with the same old spiel "We need used trucks like yours, come see me when you stop by the service department and we'll see if we can get you in a new one at the same payment."

·
Registered
305 Posts
I simply bought a manufacturer's wrap extended warranty for about $550 through USAA. If you are a USAA member, I'd check it out. There are other warranty packages available as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I simply bought a manufacturer's wrap extended warranty for about $550 through USAA. If you are a USAA member, I'd check it out. There are other warranty packages available as well.
Not a USAA member (though I could join as I have family who served), but since I bought my Frontier CPO I get a 7 year 100k powertrain warranty, besides the remainder of the 3y/36k warranty that came with the truck when new (bought it used 2 months old with 3.7k miles so I basically got a full warranty). I'm not too worried about the lifetime coverage, the dealership would weasel out of paying for something if I needed to use it one day anyway.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mine did

My dealer included the lifetime powertrain warranty. Nice to have if ever needed.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What do you need to do in order to use the lifetime powertrain warranty? Do you have to have all service done by the dealer?

Vic
All maintenance receipts. Mine did not require service to be done there, good thing too, it's 3 hours away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of the guys I work with just bought an 18 Frontier from a dealership here in Boise Idaho. And they are warrantying the the powertrain for life for free with a $200.00 deductible. Crazy.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts