Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said they give every vehicle they sale a lifetime power train warranty with a $100 deductible for the original owner only. I did sign a sheet receiving the warranty. Has anyone else ever gotten a "free" power train warranty and successfully used it?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Never had lifetime, but I did have a long extended warranty that I needed to use to replace my rear diff - I only had 3 days left on that warranty.
Was your extended warranty thrown in, or did it come with a cost?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They said it was a no strings, totally free warranty. Other dealers in the area did not seem to offer it, but some in the extended area did. I mean I hope to never use it, but I wasn't too much in the market for a paid extended warranty. I got GAP coverage, but I left the rest off. They didn't push the extended warranties either, just the finance guy mentioned them.

I did not buy the extended warranty on my 2012 Mustang, and I traded it for the truck with 46k on it. No issues. I did buy it for my 2014 Polaris RZR but contemplating getting a prorated refund.

Maybe it's legit, and maybe if I ever need it, it will get backed, I dunno. Just seems hard to believe a lifetime power train warranty would be free.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No strings? Are you sure you don't have to have all maintenance performed at the dealership? Read the fine print.

Vic

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No strings? Are you sure you don't have to have all maintenance performed at the dealership? Read the fine print.

Vic
That probably is a string, but I didn't think about that because the Mustang I had, I always let the dealer do the maintenance cause it was so low and I didn't have a good place to do it myself. Plus they only charged $40 to change the oil and rotate the tires and I had a hard time getting the synthetic oil and filter for much cheaper than that

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You may find you have to have all service done there and on the top tier service, the one that has you do every option available for each service. I had that offered to me for my wife's Sentra, then looked at the terms and went to a different dealer just because I thought that was a crappy way to make you pay extra for service.

·
Rogue Admin
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got the same warranty and paid extra. I also paid $400 for lifetime oil changes and I have really gotten my money out of that one.
Just to clarify my extension wasn't drivetrain but bumper to bumper. Didn't want to make 7 years of payments to have something break after the standard 5 year warranty.

Lifetime oil changes for free... even after 25 months i'm still less than 20,000km and the first 2 were free and Nissan One gave me 4 oil change certificates on top of that (free) so at this rate it will be a while before I actually have to pay for one.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'm getting free lifetime (conventional/dino) oil changes...though the up-charge for synthetic is ~$37??
I won't make the switch until my 2nd or 3rd oil change, but, that up-charge about makes it a wash I reckon - compared to doing it myself. :serious:

·
Registered
567 Posts

Vic
This^^ I found this to be the case at a dealer I was looking at. Since it's 70 miles away, it's pretty useless to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kraft Nissan in Tallahassee "threw in" a lifetime powertrain warranty. I don't recall there being a deductible but there may be.

I have to have the vehicle serviced at a certified blah blah blah. I just take it to them and let them handle it.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Have the "Lifetime Powertrain" on my 13' for "no charge" but of course there was a $1200 bla bla for paint treatment and Nitrogen in the tires... and when I said so that's for the warranty of course they said No that is no charge....LOL Mine does have a $100 deductible and the only stipulations are full service disclosure and before the 5yr/60k factory warranty it has to be completely inspected at the dealer so it almost sounds like they will make Nissan pay for anything they think could be an issue probably hoping that I will get rid of the truck before anything that gets replaced goes bad again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes I have the lifetime warranty....as long as the dealer does all the "major" service. 35 miles from where I live. Nitro fill tires are a joke. Went to Discount Tire (3miles away) and they deflated and refilled my tires for free. I am not driving 35 miles to have my tires checked.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
itsa gimmic

I was also given the "free" lifetime powertrain warranty... fine print is (for me) it is ONLY for engine & trans (no xfer or diffs) and ALL Nissan recommended maint HAS to be done by a shop (not necessarily teh dealer). I don't remember who the insurance carrier is for this "lifetime" warranty. Oh, it also won't pay if you do any mods...
I also sprung for the Nissan Extended as you CAN do your own maint and many mods...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Was your extended warranty thrown in, or did it come with a cost?
They said it was a no strings, totally free warranty. Other dealers in the area did not seem to offer it, but some in the extended area did. I mean I hope to never use it, but I wasn't too much in the market for a paid extended warranty. I got GAP coverage, but I left the rest off. They didn't push the extended warranties either, just the finance guy mentioned them.

I did not buy the extended warranty on my 2012 Mustang, and I traded it for the truck with 46k on it. No issues. I did buy it for my 2014 Polaris RZR but contemplating getting a prorated refund.

Maybe it's legit, and maybe if I ever need it, it will get backed, I dunno. Just seems hard to believe a lifetime power train warranty would be free.
Have the "Lifetime Powertrain" on my 13' for "no charge" but of course there was a $1200 bla bla for paint treatment and Nitrogen in the tires... and when I said so that's for the warranty of course they said No that is no charge....LOL Mine does have a $100 deductible and the only stipulations are full service disclosure and before the 5yr/60k factory warranty it has to be completely inspected at the dealer so it almost sounds like they will make Nissan pay for anything they think could be an issue probably hoping that I will get rid of the truck before anything that gets replaced goes bad again.
I was also given the "free" lifetime powertrain warranty... fine print is (for me) it is ONLY for engine & trans (no xfer or diffs) and ALL Nissan recommended maint HAS to be done by a shop (not necessarily teh dealer). I don't remember who the insurance carrier is for this "lifetime" warranty. Oh, it also won't pay if you do any mods...
I also sprung for the Nissan Extended as you CAN do your own maint and many mods...
Those are all aftermarket service contracts that they rolled into the price of the vehicle. It benefits them because it brings you back to their shop whether you pay for repairs or the service contract provider to pays them. In a way it also makes it easier for them because fewer customers complaining about lack of warranty or that the dealership didn't service the car for free. And yes, the waters are deliberately muddied by the marketing for such things.

Legally speaking, a warranty is there without signing or money changing hands. A warranty also falls under the Magnusson Moss act wheras a service contract does not. That means they can't tell you who can work on it or what parts as long as those persons are trained and the parts meet spec. Basically, they can't say "Use brand X or we void the warranty" but they can say "use fluids/components that meet specification A" and oh by the way, only brand X meets that spec (though it's possible for someone else to copy it and meet spec A). Case and point GM and Dexos certified oil. Started out only M1 met that spec so you had to use it (but it had to be phrased as "you have to use A spec oil" not "you have to use brand X oil". Then Castrol, Valvoline, and others tested and met the spec so now you can use any of them.

Similarly for labor, they can't say you have to have all non-warranty work done at the dealership. If you can show that you are reasonably capable and equipped, you can do the work yourself (Like in my case, having a degree in auto tech and formerly worked in a shop and dealership and have a lift and generous assortment of tools in my garage). They might not give in easily but a true warranty they can't force it unless they can show you performed the repair improperly.

Conversely a "service contract" (extended warranty) they can do whatever they want because it's a contract rather than a warranty. "We will cover this as long as you do that"

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealer I just bought mine from here in SGA (Tenneson Nissan in Tifton) includes 20year/200K miles powertrain warranty and free synthetic oil changes for life. I questioned what the catch was and even asked specifically what I had to do to keep the warranty in effect. The salesman said "nothing at all, just drive it."
However, the only paperwork that I got about the warranty just says 20y/200k miles powertrain warranty with no details. I may follow up with the service manager to investigate this deeper though...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I received something similar from the dealer I bought mine from. Lifetime power train stuff. All I have to do is take it to them and let them do everything, even the non-sense "recommended" stuff. You, know the stuff that isn't in any manual anywhere, but some guy in the business office decided to make it "recommended" so they could get you for every single dollar.

I just ignored it. Wasn't worth the hassle. I figured if I ever needed to actually use it that they would find some excuse to get out of it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts