Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I just got my truck back yesterday from the dealer and they fixed my timing chain whine. However, I popped on my AC this afternoon and it is now acting funny. It blows cold, but I can hear a loud hum every time the AC compressor cycles, and it only cycles for around 10 seconds on, then off, then on, then off. The noise disappears when the compressor turns off or when you have only the fan blowing and not the ac. I can feel the hum through the brake pedal and even the steering wheel. I never remember it being nearly this loud.

I looked at the serpentine belt, and as soon as the AC comes on I see the belt tensioner/belt start vibrating pretty violently. When the ac turns off, the belt goes back to normal rotations with little vibration.

The noise sounds to me much like when a power steering system is very low on fluid and you hear a hum noise while trying to turn. But I know for a fact the noise is coming from the AC or the compressor. Any Ideas on what is causing this, could the belt be too loose or maybe the dealership did not tighten or align the compressor properly?

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
Well I just got my truck back yesterday from the dealer and they fixed my timing chain whine. However, I popped on my AC this afternoon and it is now acting funny. It blows cold, but I can hear a loud hum every time the AC compressor cycles, and it only cycles for around 10 seconds on, then off, then on, then off. The noise disappears when the compressor turns off or when you have only the fan blowing and not the ac. I can feel the hum through the brake pedal and even the steering wheel. I never remember it being nearly this loud.

I looked at the serpentine belt, and as soon as the AC comes on I see the belt tensioner/belt start vibrating pretty violently. When the ac turns off, the belt goes back to normal rotations with little vibration.

The noise sounds to me much like when a power steering system is very low on fluid and you hear a hum noise while trying to turn. But I know for a fact the noise is coming from the AC or the compressor. Any Ideas on what is causing this, could the belt be too loose or maybe the dealership did not tighten or align the compressor properly?
If it's low on refrigerent it will keep cycling.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
Do they have to evacuate the r134a when doing the timing chain service?
When my Pathfinder had the chains replaced I don't think refrigerent was needed. I believe they just lay the compressor to the side but it doesn't mean his didn't leak from being handled.

Clint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts