Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Het guys.. Last night I took my truck down on the beach.. Anyone familiar with Smith Point/East Moriches NY on Long Island is aware of the rocks I am talking about.. Anyway, when I got down to the end of the inlet, I ended up not paying much attention, and bottomed part of my front end against one of the many small rocks that dot the trail at the end and of course it made a huge clunk.. The truck is running fine, and it doesnt appear as though I damaged any major components but figured I would post a picture and get some opinions here:

Comments, opinions?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am going to say that it is fine. It doesn't look like that bolt/nut was touched and the weld doesn't look cracked or anything. The corner surface rust seems normal but I would probably clean and paint that when you touch up the dent.

I have to ask, did any mechanical parts get smashed? Did you dent the oil pan, trans pan? Did you hit the Tcase? How is the LCA doing?

Side Note: Next time let us know what you are taking a picture of and when you are standing so we know the orientation. It makes it a bit easier to figure out what got hit and what is around it that could have an issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and get a better picture later when I have my real camera.. That was just from my cell phone... No, it does not look like I dented the oil or trans pan, but again like I said -- would require more careful examination later when I can fully get under there and take better pics.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If nothing else is bad, then make sure you clean/sand and paint the areas. This will help prevent future rust from the snow and salt used in NY.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Meh.. it's fine. Some semi-flat spray paint and it's good.

PS/DS on mine are bent from landing on my Shrock skid.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Het guys.. Last night I took my truck down on the beach.. Anyone familiar with Smith Point/East Moriches NY on Long Island is aware of the rocks I am talking about..
Im assuming you were just 4 wheeling on the beach bc you got a beach pass. You should try to other side of the inlet. Depending on where you live though it could add up to 45 min to your travel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Im assuming you were just 4 wheeling on the beach bc you got a beach pass. You should try to other side of the inlet. Depending on where you live though it could add up to 45 min to your travel.
Actually was doing some fishing last night from the west side of the inlet.. I'm located in Manorville, and had been thinking about trying things from the eastern side of things via Cupsogue on a few occasions.. I think the trip down to Cupsogue on the east side may end up being quicker, and less time in 4WD.

But I just enjoy the ride itself.. Yeah, I have a Suffolk County pass, so I can go either/or.

Oh yeah -- the rocks I am talking about are the ones that are on the pathway right at the very end of Burma Rd on that end -- alongside the jetty (But obviously NOT the jetty itself!)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Actually was doing some fishing last night from the west side of the inlet.. I'm located in Manorville, and had been thinking about trying things from the eastern side of things via Cupsogue on a few occasions.. I think the trip down to Cupsogue on the east side may end up being quicker, and less time in 4WD.

But I just enjoy the ride itself.. Yeah, I have a Suffolk County pass, so I can go either/or.

Oh yeah -- the rocks I am talking about are the ones that are on the pathway right at the very end of Burma Rd on that end -- alongside the jetty (But obviously NOT the jetty itself!)
if you head over to Cupsogue, Just so you know they do have a decent amount of soft sand. And when your on Dune rd, Do the speed limit. I cant stress that enough. The Cops will pull you over for doing 32 in a 30. Hell I got pulled over for a cracked windshield.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
better get some skid plates soon before you really F something up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In regards to the skid plates -- my usual 4-wheel activity is limited to soft beach sand -- except in this particular area of the beach that I was in...

Anyway, hear are more detail pics.. Oil pan, tpan, tcase, are all above where I hit.. To me, it looks like the frame took the brunt of the scrape... The bottom of the LCA got scraped up a lil:

·
Registered
220 Posts
skidplates will drone and vibrate at idle, better not.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
And when your on Dune rd, Do the speed limit. I cant stress that enough. The Cops will pull you over for doing 32 in a 30. Hell I got pulled over for a cracked windshield.
In the Quogue part of Dune Rd especially! Never got a ticket there, but it's common knowledge not to speed on Dune Rd in that section.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Skids vibrate/drone at idle? What? Are those the aluminum foil ones?

What vehicle is in the pic above my post? What did they hit?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts