Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another thread on the hefty skids but my searches didnt turn up much. I was planning to install these and started doing research to look for instructions on how to install these. I found some from Hefty but they were for an xterra. After looking for a while more I ended up feeling like they may have sent me the wrong sized transfer case skid.

Here's the full set on Hefty's website

This is exactly what I had bought and made the selection for King Cab/Crew Cab Short bed
Store - Hefty Fabworks

These are what I have The one with the red paint sprays is the transfer case skid. Its almost as long as the one for the gas tank.

I'm a little concerned they may have sent me the CCLB skid set? I double checked my invoice and it for sure says I ordered a KC/CCSB set.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It looks right. The gas tank on he cclb sits back farther. The cross member that the trans skid bolts to is a single unit on yours. I have two cross members one that does nothing and one that has the carrier bearing.
You should be good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Looks just like what I got. The install instructions for the Xterra off the hefty website are 99% correct for a Frontier. With that said, I did do some head scratching with each skid but that was mostly which nuts and bolts went in to which holes. Start with the gas tank one and work forward. Once you lift the skid up where it goes it mostly make sense.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
why put paint on the skid?

also I like the skids, I may think of doing the same

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks just like what I got. The install instructions for the Xterra off the hefty website are 99% correct for a Frontier. With that said, I did do some head scratching with each skid but that was mostly which nuts and bolts went in to which holes. Start with the gas tank one and work forward. Once you lift the skid up where it goes it mostly make sense.

Thanks this helps. I'm still scratching my head over which bracket goes where for the gas tank skid. I wish there were more clear instructions around that.

why put paint on the skid?

also I like the skids, I may think of doing the same
Avoid excessive rusting?

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
I agree on the instructions. For the money spent, even a photocopied pencil drawing would have been nice.

The longer bracket goes to the inside edge of the skid and up to the upper crossmember (up by where the gas tank straps bolt in) and the angled one goes on the side of the outer frame rail. Again, once you lift the skid up in to place, it will make sense.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The Transfer Case skid in the picture on Hefty's site is for an Xterra. It is much shorter than the one for the Frontier and has a different shape.

All the other skids will fit on either vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree on the instructions. For the money spent, even a photocopied pencil drawing would have been nice.

The longer bracket goes to the inside edge of the skid and up to the upper crossmember (up by where the gas tank straps bolt in) and the angled one goes on the side of the outer frame rail. Again, once you lift the skid up in to place, it will make sense.
Thanks, I bailed on doing this today cuz of some other stuff that came up but this helps. I'll have to raise and lower it a few times to have it all make sense.

The Transfer Case skid in the picture on Hefty's site is for an Xterra. It is much shorter than the one for the Frontier and has a different shape.

All the other skids will fit on either vehicle.
Thats what I gathered from the responses here.

with the RED spray...
LOL I pained the brackets for the gas tank with the only spray paint I had at home. I also did these in a dimly lit basement and the black paint that folks here had suggested goes on real thick but takes forever to dry. Cuz i missed a spot I got lazy and just primed and sprayed red on the little corner that I missed.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Painting the skids is a good idea, prevents rust, all mine are painted as well. When you install the gas tank skid, put the back of the truck in the air. Install all the brackets very loosely to allow for adjusting, as you tighten the bolts on the skids, keep checking for clearance between the bolts/nuts and the tank itself.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Since I have installed these skids on 2 different vehicles and removed and replaced them several times, I thought I would offer you some installation hints.

-Use a floor jack to support the skids as you lift them into place and get the hardware started. A piece of wood or a folded up rag on the jack will reduce the chance of scratching the skids.

-Install the Transfer Case skid first, followed by the Transmission skid, Engine skid and finally the Radiator skid. This is the recommended order from Hefty. The Gas Tank skid can be installed at any time since it does not mount close to the other skids.

-Temporarily install the Engine skid and use a punch to carefully mark the locations for the holes required for the larger outer bolts. Remove it and put it aside while you drill these holes. Touch up the drilled holes with some black paint to avoid possible rust at these locations. These outer bolts are highly recommended for securing this skid as the M8 bolts that screw into the cross member attach to weak inserts that have a tendency to break loose inside the cross member. Since they are right in the middle and at the low point, they take a beating on rocks. I have had these in place for many years and the 4 lg bolts at the outer corners have held the skid in place very securely.

-The Gas Tank skid is the hardest one to get installed due to the brackets required. Leave the hardware for the brackets a little loose to allow for adjustments. Be careful to check that the 6 bolts that attach the skid to the brackets are not touching the plastic gas tank. I had to buy shorter bolts to eliminate this interference. If you have sliders, check for interference where the flange that mounts under the frame may overlap the slider mount. I had to modify the skid to fit with my White Knuckle sliders. See attached picture.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry for another thread on the hefty skids but my searches didnt turn up much. I was planning to install these and started doing research to look for instructions on how to install these. I found some from Hefty but they were for an xterra. After looking for a while more I ended up feeling like they may have sent me the wrong sized transfer case skid.

Here's the full set on Hefty's website

This is exactly what I had bought and made the selection for King Cab/Crew Cab Short bed
Store - Hefty Fabworks

These are what I have The one with the red paint sprays is the transfer case skid. Its almost as long as the one for the gas tank.

I'm a little concerned they may have sent me the CCLB skid set? I double checked my invoice and it for sure says I ordered a KC/CCSB set.
I really love the color of your Fronty bro! ::grin:: It looks amazing!!! What color is it and where did ya go to get it done?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts