Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a product called S-100 that get's my dirt bike back to like new clean. Here is a picture.

It is pricey at $10 per quart but I could probably get the whole engine of my Frontier with half a bottle. I prefer this stuff to simple green on my bike, but the bikes gets mud on the hot engine and so is essentially baked on. My Frontier is pretty clean as it only has 30,000 miles but I'd like to get it as new looking as possible for selling purposes.

What do I NOT want to get wet under the hood?

Greg

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I use a product called S-100 that get's my dirt bike back to like new clean. Here is a picture.

It is pricey at $10 per quart but I could probably get the whole engine of my Frontier with half a bottle. I prefer this stuff to simple green on my bike, but the bikes gets mud on the hot engine and so is essentially baked on. My Frontier is pretty clean as it only has 30,000 miles but I'd like to get it as new looking as possible for selling purposes.

What do I NOT want to get wet under the hood?

Greg
i love huskyssssss, handle like a dreammm

but yoo, were you getting this stuff?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
pretty much all is okay except electrical connectors, especially mass air flow, coils, and injectors connectors. If you do, disconnect them and blow them out, no air then wd40

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Engine Compartment detailing tips from a Professional Detailer

It would depend on how dirty your engine compartment is, but I 1st of all am a professional detailer and own my own company with 15 Yrs and 4400+ vehicles detailed. Anyway, I normally use Either Purple Power or Castrol Heavy duty degreaser, unless the grease is thick, then I use oil eater ( caution : oil eater is hot, and will etch [stain immediately ] aluminum ). If selling your vehicle, and thats why your cleaning the engine compartment, spray with the castrol or purple power, all over engine compartment and let sit for 10 minutes, brush any heavily greasey areas and reapply more spray after brushing while in your 10 minute window.

Rinse with strong stream of water ( I use a pressure washer, but stay off obvious electrical connections or around obvious places that will damage ){ do not use a steam cleaner as steam ruins computers }, immediately after rinsing entire engine bay , start the vehicle and let the engine dry your compartment.

Then if selling the vehicle , but not driving at all or very little......use an Oil base tire dressing ( clear "Mequires Hot Shine" works best ) and spray all over engine compartment and let dry.

If selling, but need to drive the vehicle and still want a nice finish on the black rubber engine compartment use leather conditioner on all the hoses, black plastic pieces, etc.

If your selling a classic car or the like and want the inside to be factory looking, use baby powder on the hoses and the plastic pieces.

note: Know that dressing applied to your compartment is a grease and dirt magnet , so apply according to the above application.

......................................................................................................................

·
Registered
505 Posts
It would depend on how dirty your engine compartment is, but I 1st of all am a professional detailer and own my own company with 15 Yrs and 4400+ vehicles detailed. Anyway, I normally use Either Purple Power or Castrol Heavy duty degreaser, unless the grease is thick, then I use oil eater ( caution : oil eater is hot, and will etch [stain immediately ] aluminum ). If selling your vehicle, and thats why your cleaning the engine compartment, spray with the castrol or purple power, all over engine compartment and let sit for 10 minutes, brush any heavily greasey areas and reapply more spray after brushing while in your 10 minute window.

Rinse with strong stream of water ( I use a pressure washer, but stay off obvious electrical connections or around obvious places that will damage ){ do not use a steam cleaner as steam ruins computers }, immediately after rinsing entire engine bay , start the vehicle and let the engine dry your compartment.

Then if selling the vehicle , but not driving at all or very little......use an Oil base tire dressing ( clear "Mequires Hot Shine" works best ) and spray all over engine compartment and let dry.

If selling, but need to drive the vehicle and still want a nice finish on the black rubber engine compartment use leather conditioner on all the hoses, black plastic pieces, etc.

If your selling a classic car or the like and want the inside to be factory looking, use baby powder on the hoses and the plastic pieces.

note: Know that dressing applied to your compartment is a grease and dirt magnet , so apply according to the above application.

......................................................................................................................

Awsome info on the detailing. Thank you. This should be stickyed.

Love the photo, gotta stop stareing... and drooling. Mmmmmmmm...302, shaker.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
thanks for the professional information.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Your welcome for the info ... look at the hood buffing post

Your welcome for the info ... look at the hood buffing post , for more info and some of my clients pics.

·
Banned
6 Posts
x2 on the purple power. I use it through a foam cannon, let it soak, then pressure wash it off. Only variation I have in the process is I hose the entire engine compartment down with tire foam, then start the engine and let it dry like that. Haven't had a problem, and I've noticed that by doing it that way it really cuts down on the dirt collection.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
x2 on the purple power. I use it through a foam cannon, let it soak, then pressure wash it off. Only variation I have in the process is I hose the entire engine compartment down with tire foam, then start the engine and let it dry like that. Haven't had a problem, and I've noticed that by doing it that way it really cuts down on the dirt collection.
spraying any kind of tire foam or dressing on the engine is a dirt magnet

·
Registered
275 Posts
I finally got the nerve to clean my engine bay too. I just used some commercial degreaser and diluted it down a bit more. I didn't want to do a full spray on anything, even though I covered up the battery and filter. I just misted everything nicely.....saturated with the degreaser....let sit for about 5 minutes....rinsed.....and drove around for a couple minutes. it still looks 100x better than it did. I'm going to ahve to do my fiance's Focus this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Anyone willing to post a picture of your 3.3 and circle things to keep dry please? I'm scared as hell to clean my engine bay. I would hate to ruin something! Its all dirty though and needs to be cleaned.. Very little grease in there just mud and dust. I doubt it has ever been cleaned...I have a pressure washer now and want to do this... Help me out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 01 3.3 and I clean the engine everytime I come back from running through crop field trails and just when I clean the truck. I use formula 88 and just mix with half water. (thats so the hoses will not turn white) I usually spray a light mist over the whole engine compartment and then spray the formula 88 everywhere and extra on the more dirtier parts. Clean the rims, tires and wheel wells. I go back hose off the engine very throughly close the hood and crank her up and finishing cleaning her. I never cover anything. Youll be ok as long as you crank her to get her to self dry everything.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tip. Always keep engine running while rinsing off and continue to run until dry. As long as current is running through connections, water shouldn't penetrate. As Brutal said take care around MAF sensor and injector connections. I ve always used high pressure cleaners on my engine bay and never had an issue using this method.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
What is obvious to you may not be to others. I am not spraying under my hood unless I know I am for sure no going to break stuff. I am not a professional.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing I've noticed with the 4.0L is the coil pack area tends to hold dirt and if hosing off, water will accumulate in that area. I'm not sure how water resistant they are. Most people don't use water near them. In the engines I've cleaned in the past, the coil packs were cover by the engine cover and I'd clean the rest by hand. I have some sand in the coil area after going to the beach a few times. I'm hesitant on hosing off this engine and having water sit around the coil packs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Compressed air/leaf blower?

Reactions: NJMIKE
1 - 20 of 20 Posts