Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and does anyone on here know much about long travel suspensions? I'm loving them so much right now, that I don't want to settle on a regular suspension lift/body lift.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JayP, I'm originally from San Diego. Do you know of any shops out in Cali that deal with long travel suspension setups? I know we're talking HUGE bucks here (even if it was only a kit that could be bought, let alone a custom fab job) , but I'm just doing my research. . .

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
for nissan spencerlow all the way well atleast for "bolt on"
WeldTec
ORC
Mcneil
DuG Fab
richerracing
gr fab
autofab
i'm pretty sure all/most is in SD county. Do your research. lol

old pic i'll dig up some more if you want

Attachments

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Are you looking for Frontier specific shops/kits or just long travel suspension in general? You may want to check out Dezertrangers.com and Desertrides.com too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JayP, thanks for the response. I left San Diego almost 6 years ago after living there for 15 years, long before I was into 4x4s and lifted trucks. As you can tell, I was into minitrucks, but now, I'm crazy about prerunners and long travel suspensions. I'll be sure to look into all of those, and I'd love to see all the pics you have.

Prerunner Greg, I don't know. I guess I'm looking for both. I'd really like to find Frontier specific shops/kits for when I'd like to transform my truck, but I'd also like to learn more about long travel suspensions in general. I'll be sure to check out those sites. . .

·
Registered
230 Posts
also a DR person here. big lurker on the forums but i am at a good amount of the races.

when it comes to long travel suspensions in general i would say camburg is the company to go to (unfortunately no nissan). there are some companies out there who do great work (like newline), but they are very very high dollar. i know total chaos makes a nissan kit, but i do not know the travel numbers. if you are going to do long travel and use it for its intended purpose, i would highly reccomend getting it caged while youre at it. you don't need to turn it into a trophy truck, but youll be more likely to push the truck to its limits and i have seen this many times. cages are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a company or a kit that would give me the look/ability of long travel, but also the daily driveability, considering this is my daily driver?

I saw the Camburg Tacoma in the July 2006 Off-Road magazine. I guess it had Stage 1 before, and then they put Stage 2 on it. Camburg is awesome. Too bad they don't do Nissans. I've been talking w/ SLR about long travel, and they're actually looking for a donor truck. I told them I'd give them my truck in a heartbeat if I was back in Cali.

·
Registered
230 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
Is there a company or a kit that would give me the look/ability of long travel, but also the daily driveability, considering this is my daily driver?

I saw the Camburg Tacoma in the July 2006 Off-Road magazine. I guess it had Stage 1 before, and then they put Stage 2 on it. Camburg is awesome. Too bad they don't do Nissans. I've been talking w/ SLR about long travel, and they're actually looking for a donor truck. I told them I'd give them my truck in a heartbeat if I was back in Cali.
you can put LT on a daily driver no problem. it is a little bit more expensive as you will almost definately need some new body panels (fenders obviously, bedsides and hood depending on whatelse you decide to do) and a larger wheel/tire combo. the only real draw backs you will see from having long travel on your daily driver is decreased gas mileage and acceleration due to the fact that it will almost definately have a larger wheel/tire combo, but this can easily be fixed by programming chips or buying a new rear gear. i would go with the latter eventhough it isn't THAT big of an issue. also you will probably lose bedspace aswell depending on how you do the rear end due to cage work and shock hoops.

total chaos makes a good product and i know they have a kit out for the 05+ frontier, pathfinder and xterra. the write up does not say how much travel it pulls but i would guess 8-10 with what they offer in the kit. definately a good buy and will give you a little bit better offroad capabilities.
http://www.chaosfab.com/91500.html

camburg is a great group of guys and does some of the best work i have ever seen. the toyota stuff is pretty sick, but their best work is in the rangers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
for true long travel setups a cage is a must. If you beat on your truck without a cage it will bend things that werent designed for all the extra loads. I have an 03 tacoma double cab with long travel front and rear and a full cage. The cage was by far the best investment. For strenght and safety. Im Dedsled on DR and RDC if anyone cares.

Oh and my frontier is my daily driver and work truck so Im loving the way stock rides now. Not creaks droning hard getting into or out of. Other than tires and walker evans wheels, Im leaving this one alone.

Oh and SLR is the man

·
Registered
230 Posts
BajaWill said:
for true long travel setups a cage is a must. If you beat on your truck without a cage it will bend things that werent designed for all the extra loads. I have an 03 tacoma double cab with long travel front and rear and a full cage. The cage was by far the best investment. For strenght and safety. Im Dedsled on DR and RDC if anyone cares.

Oh and my frontier is my daily driver and work truck so Im loving the way stock rides now. Not creaks droning hard getting into or out of. Other than tires and walker evans wheels, Im leaving this one alone.

Oh and SLR is the man
you don't need a full blown cage for long travel. it will work just fine without a cage, its just better if you have a cage because of what will probably happen when youre pushing your truck.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
bajawill said "for true long travel" (which i consider 18+) This is very debatable but i think that this is pretty a fine line between mid-long. If your going to spend that much money on a setup of that proportion i think that having a cage is pretty much the next step. It's not like your going to be able to keep your bed anyways without spending a few G's. Now for a DD why would you want a superdupersickygnargnar travel anyways unless you plan on three on wheeling evey turn. DD/desert stick to 12-15 inches it's the valving not the numbers. my.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts