Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have been trying to sort out my recently acquired 06' Frontier. It had been sitting in a storage area behind a local garage for about a year or so before I acquired it last week. During that time a family of rats had made their home in the compartment that contains the in-cabin air filters. I pulled the nest and old filters out and cleaned out the rat poo as best as I could and, I've also sprayed deodorizer (Ozium) into the system. The Ozium spray definitely helped but, it still reeks of rat piss whenever I turn the AC on....

Anyone else had this problem? If you did, what did you do to get rid of the stink? I'd rather not start pulling the duct work out, if there is an alternative.

I guess at least I have a name for the truck now "The Rat"

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I seriously hope you mean mice got into the duct work and not rats. But naming your truck "The Mouse" wouldn't sound as cool as "The Rat". If you've sprayed this product into the vents and it didn't work, try it again. It may take more than one application. It may also take just using it and allowing time to pass to make the smell go away. When you replaced the cabin filters make sure you installed them with the arrows pointing down. The filters are for filtering the air coming into the cabin, not going out. So the arrows have to point in the direction of air flow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife's Impala had a smell (she said it was rat ----) coming from the vents. I used a vent deodorizer from Auto Zone twice with no luck. I was at Hendrick Chevrolet for maintenance and they set me up with the gut that purifies the air in all used cars they take in. His system took an hour to run. The smell was gone for a while, but it smelled like chemicals. The chemical small finally went away and but the rat ---- smell came back. My wife cant take those smells and we finally traded the Impala off.
Good luck. Hope you can get rid of the smell.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just rolled back in to the yard after going down to the LKQ in Trafford to pick up a rearend for "The Rat" ?. I did a sniff test and the rat piss smell is not nearly as bad as before I sprayed the Ozium through the vents but I can definitely still smell it. I'll try spraying it again and let it air out some more and see how if that helps anymore.

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have a smell in the wife's Sorento. Come to find out it is mildew on the condenser unit. Bad smell but I doubt near as bad as rat mess. But anyway. Kia actually has a kit that you spray this stuff up the a/c drain under the vehicle. Subaru has a similar kit. Something like that may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news, as of this afternoon most of the ratty smell is gone from my truck��

Yesterday evening I sprayed some more Ozium into the in-cabin air filter compartment while the AC was running and today I drove it around with the AC on for a while. It seems to have aired it out pretty good.

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another way I've used with good success in my other cars for any mildew type odors, night be helpful to you on this as well : Mixed a spray bottle with one quart Isopropol Alcohol, 2 drops of Dawn, and a liberal spray of Pure Citrus lemon oil freshener. removed the cabin filters, ran the car and heater on high with windows open while spraying the mixture thru the fan (slowly so that it wasn't pooling and and to make sure its getting to the evaporator area) Took a few minutes of patient spraying to get it all thru the system. Let the car continue running with heat on high for 10 more minutes to thoroughly dry everything up. Replaced the filters with new charcoal filters. (Premier Air Filters - Premium Automotive Air Filters) No more stink on startup. I've used the commercial/professional products before, and this worked better.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Another way I've used with good success in my other cars for any mildew type odors, night be helpful to you on this as well : Mixed a spray bottle with one quart Isopropol Alcohol, 2 drops of Dawn, and a liberal spray of Pure Citrus lemon oil freshener. removed the cabin filters, ran the car and heater on high with windows open while spraying the mixture thru the fan (slowly so that it wasn't pooling and and to make sure its getting to the evaporator area) Took a few minutes of patient spraying to get it all thru the system. Let the car continue running with heat on high for 10 more minutes to thoroughly dry everything up. Replaced the filters with new charcoal filters. (Premier Air Filters - Premium Automotive Air Filters) No more stink on startup. I've used the commercial/professional products before, and this worked better.
This sounds interesting, I may give it a try. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts