Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally made the leap and purchased a new Frontier (2019 SV 4x4). I take delivery tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should look for before taking delivery? Also, this is my first time owning a truck, do you have any advice for someone who's previously only owned smaller cars. (I have driven trucks at work on occasion, so not a total newbie).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to CF and Congrats on the purchase.

The dealer will/should perform a PDI(Pre Delivery Inspection).
Other than looking over the fit-and-finish(body panels), take it for a drive before the final paperwork is signed.

OH!......... Make sure they top-off the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Make sure you get all the Utilitrack parts; there should be 8 pieces.

Check to make sure the spare has air. This is easy to overlook.

I would check out the four wheel system. Engage it on a dry road and you will feel squirming in the steering wheel as you steer left and right. 4Lo is the same except engine rpms are higher. Do not get too agressive with this test as the squirming means there is conflict among the axles. You could pop a part that is over stressed.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Best not done on a paved road, he should have specified gravel or dirt road.
The tires are rubber and will provide the "give" that prevents damage. Long before you damage a part, the tires will start bouncing and slipping in additon to the steering wheel twitch. The trouble with gravel or dirt is that the test may not be give a clear signal. A dry road will give the signal quickly.

A side benefit of this test is that it teaches the driver the conditions when 4WD cannot be used on the Frontier. The main benefit of Frontier 4WD on the road is that it prevents the back end getting loose and swinging around. I sometimes use 4WD in heavy rain for this protection. It works fine because of the slippage. However if I detect a steering wheel twitch, I know the conditions are too dry for 4WD so I cut it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Make sure you get all the Utilitrack parts; there should be 8 pieces.
Hmmm ... I only got the four clamps. The end caps stopped being included back in 2016 or so. Also, the under seat cargo net wasn’t made available after 2015 (or thereabouts) according to my dealer. He got me one anyway from an aftermarket supplier (still a genuine Nissan part).

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have the Utilitrack system .. Make sure the front and rear tracks are perfectly in line.. Mine were not and when I would try to slide the cargo basket forward. It would catch there every time. I took my truck back to the dealer 5 days after I bought the truck and they removed the bolts lined everything up reinstalled. For no charge . (Now it slides very easily.)

·
Registered
483 Posts
So I finally made the leap and purchased a new Frontier (2019 SV 4x4). I take delivery tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should look for before taking delivery? Also, this is my first time owning a truck, do you have any advice for someone who's previously only owned smaller cars. (I have driven trucks at work on occasion, so not a total newbie).
Congrats! Make sure window frames are flush with A and B pillars on outside and check body gaps around doors and fenders. Check rear diff cover for fluid seepage and overall rust on undercarriage.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Demand floor mats, you should get two cup holder inserts, and a kind of worthless dash tray liner. Make ‘em give you a Nissan hat. And tell ‘em I’m pissed that I didn’t think to demand one. And lunch. Go for a cheeseburger. With onion rings & a malt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They keys are chipped. Make sure you get the tag for it in case you ever need to make a new one.
That explains the 3rd key with the blacked out Nissan logo and a metal ID tag on the ring. Wondered what that was for.

Demand floor mats, you should get two cup holder inserts, and a kind of worthless dash tray liner. Make ‘em give you a Nissan hat. And tell ‘em I’m pissed that I didn’t think to demand one. And lunch. Go for a cheeseburger. With onion rings & a malt.
I bought the only PRO-4X in my region that didn't come with floor mats from the factory. The downside of looking at literally every single Frontier within a 1-2 hour range is that I somehow overlooked this omission and had to buy them after the fact. They weren't too bad, only $100, but still.

I don't know if there's any liner in the dash tray, I've literally never even looked up there. I do have the cup holder inserts though.

Dammit, I should have asked for a Nissan hat! :mad:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congrats! I remember you started shopping around the same I did. I just got mine exactly 2 weeks ago!

Like the others said, go over the body and paint and look for any misaligned panels, door dings, or other problems. Especially if your truck has been sitting on the lot for a while, like mine was, or if it's a trade from another dealership. Lot damage happens, and some things get overlooked. If it's a factory fresh delivery right off the carrier though, you won't have as much to worry about.

It turned pitch black out and started raining hard when I took delivery, and apparently nobody noticed the giant scratch on the hood. I didn't either, until the following day when it was nice and sunny out. I also found a bunch of smaller hairline scratches on the doors, the kind you'd get from dangling keys or coat zippers. But this one almost looked intentional, like someone was mad or simply testing the paint for durability.

The dealer fixed them all of course, but it was still a bummer to have to go back for something like this.

20190930_135557.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the wheel well liners for missing fasteners. Mine was missing three on the passenger side. I didn't notice it for a few days until I realized that the liner would flap if I bumped against the thing Nissan calls a mud flap. Was an easy fix. Also found a piece of paper in front of the radiator. Everything else was fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check the wheel well liners for missing fasteners. Mine was missing three on the passenger side.
That's a good idea too. It's surprising what gets missed. It wasn't a car or truck, but my brand new lawn tractor was missing several trim clips as well as one of the rubber caps that goes over the wheel hub. The hood flopped all over, no idea how they missed that during assembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Picked the truck up today and checked everything you mentioned. All good. Not rattles, everything works, not missing any screws or clips (that I found so far). They did throw in a Nissan hat and floor mats :) I still have to go back next week to get the step bars and tow hitch installed. I will try to post some pics on the weekend. Thanks again for all the help deciding on Frontier and knowing what to look for. I expect to be a regular on this forum for years to come!

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Check the wheel well liners for missing fasteners. Mine was missing three on the passenger side...
Mine is missing a couple, too. Ima get my crusty a$$ a hat outa this yet.;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm heading back to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my license plate. Maybe I can sweet talk them into a Nissan hat?

I lost it during a move, but up until recently I still had a hunter orange Ford Truck hat from the 90s that I got with my first car.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sweet talk???

Ask for your salesman & when he/she walks up, ask really loudly... “Dude! Where’s the hat you promised me when I bought my rig a couple weeks back?? Oh... and grab one for my bro Munga, too! And quit tryinna rip us off, yo!”...

:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts