Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have tried the search function and I am not finding anything like this.

I purchased a 2016 Frontier SV brand new in 09/2015. I noticed in the first few days that occasionally the A/C would not blow cold air until I drove about a mile. If I just started the truck then let it sit for say 30 minutes -- the A/C would still be blowing hot air. As soon I drove about a mile -- the compressor would engage, and it would blow cold air. 50% of the time I would turn the truck on and it would work just fine. I did notice if I let the vehicle sit overnight, it would almost always work the first try. It normally fails if I drive it for a bit, park/stop truck, run an errand and then when I come back it fails. I have brought it to my dealership multiple times for this issue and they tell me they can't recreate the issue (and have changed nothing....most aggravating part). I had the service manager drive my truck a total of 300 miles -- he has attempted driving it as his daily vehicle and it works fine. I have brought it in -- turned it off -- then when the runner goes to move it from the checkin to the parking lot, it was in failure....by the time they get it to the bay it works again. So now I went to trade it in today in frustration and the A/C fails so they didn't want to give me a good price on the trade in.....it is still under warranty, but I am so tired of dealing with Nissan. I just want to ideas on what to change myself. If I can get the A/C to work properly, I'll just keep my truck.

Thanks for your time!

Neal

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know whether it's "something in your head" or a real problem and you're just looking for
something to complain about.
If I were in your situation I'd trade it. Either because I was unhappy with it and looking for a
reason, or I was unhappy with it because there was an actual reason. Either way you're
wanting to get out of your vehicle, get the best deal you can and get out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I appreciate the response. Just to clarify I tried trading it in at the same dealership for another Frontier. They offered me $12,000 for it because of the AC issues (issue happened during the trade in inspection). The service department denies there is an issue and wont take it back.

I just went outside and fired it up and it was in failure. I hooked a multimeter to the single red wire going into the compressor and there is no voltage on the line. I suspect there is a relay somewhere that is not engaging. The bizzare thing is it will kick on at the exact same distance of driving every time this happens. I really just want to fix the thing. This is my 2nd frontier and I don't want to go away from the vehicle.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Does your truck have the Auto temp system? I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the sensor that sits on top of the dash. I notice sometimes when it is really sunny out it can affect whether the system starts heating or cooling, I think based on how much heat might be getting beamed on to the sensor. If it is really overcast or there is a cold spot (because of being covered) maybe it could affect it?

Have you tried calling Nissan Corporate affairs and discussed the problem with them? You should try doing so if your dealership is not able or willing to diagnose the issue and resolve it under warranty repair.

800-647-7261

·
Registered
376 Posts
I understand your situation. Don't really understand how they can test drive it and
decide that they can't give you anything for it because it has A/C issues while their
service department denies there are any A/C issues. But either way you need to trade
it, either to them or another dealer. My kid bought an Expedition some years ago. It
turned out to be one of those flooded insurance dumps from "Rita", he's been nothing
but miserable, problem after problem. I'm sure he's lost years off of his life because
of anger and frustration, but he's stubborn and won't take a loss and get on with his
life. I've tried to get him to unload it. His loss... I can't help him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your truck have the Auto temp system? I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the sensor that sits on top of the dash. I notice sometimes when it is really sunny out it can affect whether the system starts heating or cooling, I think based on how much heat might be getting beamed on to the sensor. If it is really overcast or there is a cold spot (because of being covered) maybe it could affect it?

Have you tried calling Nissan Corporate affairs and discussed the problem with them? You should try doing so if your dealership is not able or willing to diagnose the issue and resolve it under warranty repair.

800-647-7261
Thank you -- I have not tried either of those. I was not aware of corp affairs -- I am sure they would love my story. I have the little bulb sensor near the center of the dashboard by the windshield. Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram for that circuit?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I appreciate the response. Just to clarify I tried trading it in at the same dealership for another Frontier. They offered me $12,000 for it because of the AC issues (issue happened during the trade in inspection). The service department denies there is an issue and wont take it back.

I just went outside and fired it up and it was in failure. I hooked a multimeter to the single red wire going into the compressor and there is no voltage on the line. I suspect there is a relay somewhere that is not engaging. The bizzare thing is it will kick on at the exact same distance of driving every time this happens. I really just want to fix the thing. This is my 2nd frontier and I don't want to go away from the vehicle.
If you still want to deal with this dealership, I would talk to the General Manager. I would bring up that the trade in inspection found the A/C issue, hence the low ball price. His service people say there is no issue. I would then demand the fair trade in value as if the truck had a good working A/C or I would demand they fix the issue found during the inspection.

Push the issue. Seems the dealership employees are giving two different stories. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The good is that you've checked and found zero voltage getting to compressor when inoperable, so that rules out the AC compressor and AC clutch/clutch gap.

Issue is the problem can ONLY be troubleshot when inoperable, and must be done with someone with the right knowledge. So either another mechanic, another dealer, or legal resolution.

I had an intermittent non-closing sunroof on our used 2005 Yukon, dealer after several attempts said they "had no idea what was wrong". I fought and finally got my repair money refunded as I had paid for a repair and got none. We decided that since we were finally able to get it closed, just to remove the fuse and let it be closed, at least no rain damage or vandalism that way. To dealer the real cure was to replace the entire sunroof, at my expense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give an update. I downloaded the service manual and there is a section called "diagnosing the HAC based off customer complaint. There was an entry for my description. Next I ran the AC diags (press/release defrost and floor defrost together then hit recirculate while ac is off). It runs some diags and spit out error code 41. This error means the front ambient sensor has an open wire. I toned out both wires to the front ac unit inside....low and behold one wire tones out and the other does not. I have a cut wire. This issue does not need to be in failure to show up. The failure appears to happen when the 2 ambient temperature sensors are a certain number of degrees off. There is a 100 second timer in the auto ac system that engages the ac when I start driving about a mile because the other ambient sensor detects a dramatic change in temp from air flow. This time does not check every 100 seconds until movement has started.

I do not understand why nissan could not do this. the service manual literally starts with "diagnose based off customer complaint". I have brought my truck in 5 times over the last 14 months. I recorded a video of the diags so I can give it to the service manager and provide to nissan customer care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think your dealer is shady and knew about the problem and was just trying to get you to trade it in for less than it's worth and buy something new. There is Zero chance they did not know about the issue if you had a trouble code. They can just plug it in to Consult or whatever they use and know the issue. If I were you when you get the survey on this dealer I would give them a horrible score.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think your dealer is shady and knew about the problem and was just trying to get you to trade it in for less than it's worth and buy something new. There is Zero chance they did not know about the issue if you had a trouble code. They can just plug it in to Consult or whatever they use and know the issue. If I were you when you get the survey on this dealer I would give them a horrible score.
On more than one occasion I've had to "talk" to the GM at a dealership on shady behaviour discovered on 2 different new cars purchased from them. Once they are caught red handed they were very "happy" to fix both the issue and/or my wallet. Caught them hiding damage and removing an optional mag wheel spare on a lease car once and swapping stereo on another and trying to claim well you bought it that way...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was able to work with the service technician and show him how produce the error/issue. He was amazed that the truck could show error codes like that and asked how I figured out how to do it. I showed him the service manual and started at the section that explains the customer complaint. Then just followed the links through the book -- what an idiot. They at least gave me a loaner while they replace the wiring going to the sensor

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Was able to work with the service technician and show him how produce the error/issue. He was amazed that the truck could show error codes like that and asked how I figured out how to do it. I showed him the service manual and started at the section that explains the customer complaint. Then just followed the links through the book -- what an idiot. They at least gave me a loaner while they replace the wiring going to the sensor

Was he also surprised that he gets a paycheck every other week? Jeez....

I would have raised a little bit of a stink for having to do the tech's job for him.... A couple of free oil changes or something...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do not understand why nissan could not do this. the service manual literally starts with "diagnose based off customer complaint". I have brought my truck in 5 times over the last 14 months. I recorded a video of the diags so I can give it to the service manager and provide to nissan customer care.
Thanks for the update, glad you were able fixed it. Unfortunately car dealers sometimes don't hire the best and brightest. Your dealership seems to have a severe customer relations problem. Hope you can find a better dealership close by.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.