Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have slept in the bed of the truck with another person much, you soon realize how much space the wheel wells take up. I would like to build a sleeping platform right above the wheel wells. Some trucks are set up for this with cross bar supports molded right into the bed's sidewall. Ours do not. I have some ideas but would like to see how some of you folks decked off your bed. Got some good examples? Pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
In my build threads I had a bunch of pics and details on the sleeping platform I built. It worked really well and did not cost much at all. It was basically 2x6s in an H config with 3/4" plywood on top. The plywood sat just above the wheel wells giving you all the extra space to sleep + storage underneath.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice jbumx2 I like that I'd like to see more of it

·
Registered
844 Posts
I sketched one up awhile ago but haven't got around to building it. Going to use 1x2x1/8 radius corner aluminum tube for 3 cross pieces. Some trapezoid shaped 1/4 plates for the ends to bolt to the utilitrack. I want it to fall above the wheel wells but leave room for storage. Then I'll make two plywood panels for the deck and finish them with some marine carpet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My dad did something like that back when he had a pickup. His had seating and storage under the benches but you could move the center slabs from between the benches on the floor and put them up like yours to make a bed. The whole set up was padded and carpeted. It made road trips fun. That was back when we could be back there without seat belts though.

·
Super Moderator
10,423 Posts
My dad did something like that back when he had a pickup. His had seating and storage under the benches but you could move the center slabs from between the benches on the floor and put them up like yours to make a bed. The whole set up was padded and carpeted. It made road trips fun. That was back when we could be back there without seat belts though.
I remember the good old days as well. Nice to hear that you have such fond memories.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
10,423 Posts
Very nice job jbumx2.

Clint

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great job. I'll do the same with my truck. I was thinking about it for a long time but wasn't sure how to do it and what materials to use. But as my friend did the same with his truck as well now I'm more inspired to make such a bed in the truck. He built the sleeping platform using materials from dino, I think I'll order the materials from them as well, as they seem to be qualitative. Once I finish I'll share the pictures with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts