Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to buy a vehicle and my short list is down to 2 very different vehicles.

1. Frontier Pro4X or

2. Jeep Wrangler 2 dr Big Bear package

My debating point is that I already have a truck and I already have a trail vehicle, I just have to decide which one to let go of.

Current rigs are:

Pickup: 2000 F250 Super Duty, V10, 4x4, manual shift transfer case and 5 speed manual trans. I bought this truck because we were getting a big camper and I wanted a truck that could pull it effortlessly. Now the camper is gone and this is more truck than I really need. I would get rid of this to get the Frontier

Trail rig: 1990 full size 351W powered Bronco. All the trail gear (lift, 4.56 gears, 35" tires, Detroit locker in the rear and Detroit TrueTrac in the front, 12k winch, custom bumpers front and rear, etc.). I would get rid of this to get the Jeep.

I have driven several of the new Tacomas and the transmission in them is more indecisive choosing gears than my wife choosing a restaurant. Plus the new engine in them is gutless unless you wind it like a sewing machine. No thanks.

Tell me the reasons you chose the Frontier and why you still love it, also tell me what complaints you have about it.

I am really leaning toward the Frontier but the Jeep has that whole top and doors off appeal. It just haunts my mind that it is a Chrysler/Fiat amalgamation that has a reputation of being problematic.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have owned a 2009 Xterra and now a 2016 Pro-4X Frontier. I am somewhat disappointed that my brand new Frontier suffers some of the same issues that the 2009 Xterra had. Lots of squeaks and rattles....mainly inside the doors and dash. And it only has 2700 miles on it.

My buddy has a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. It seems to have a bit less room in the front seats then the Frontier. We went off roading right after I bought the Frontier and the Jeep preformed a bit better on some of the trails we went on, or maybe he was just more adventurous then me.

I use the Frontier for my hunting and trail running rig. It fills that role well. I just wish that it was more solidly built as far as the squeaks and rattles go.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I am a Huge Wrangler fan, had a '97 TJ and dropped in a 350, but the under powered one in the JKs is disappointing, never had one but I test drove the JKs when they first came out and was not to impressed, however both are good choices

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a Huge Wrangler fan, had a '97 TJ and dropped in a 350, but the under powered one in the JKs is disappointing, never had one but I test drove the JKs when they first came out and was not to impressed, however both are good choices
The 3.8 engine in the JK from 2007-2011 is an absolute dog.

The Pentastar V6 from 2012- current is a vast improvement (you just want to make sure you get a 2015 or newer model as they have most of the bugs worked out of the engine)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Owned a TJ for about 6-7 years...gears, axles, lifted on 35s, etc etc etc.

Had my pro4x for about 2.5 months and its a much better "overall" vehicle. If you're going to wheel a lot and dont have a lot of stuff to carry with you, go with the Jeep.

If youre looking for something as a daily driver while also carrying stuff, go with the truck.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
I bought both, a new 2016 Frontier SV and a 2016 Wrangler Oscar Mike Freedom Edition last year and both are great. I have no complaints about either one. No dealer visits needed in either one.
It's up to what your needs are that will help you decide.
Good luck, it's a tough choice.

Clint

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I have owned a 2009 Xterra and now a 2016 Pro-4X Frontier. I am somewhat disappointed that my brand new Frontier suffers some of the same issues that the 2009 Xterra had. Lots of squeaks and rattles....mainly inside the doors and dash. And it only has 2700 miles on it.
That's interesting. Could it be that you've just been unlucky? My dad had an '09 X and my brother has a '15 X. Both suffered far fewer annoying rattles and squeaks than most cars I've owned. I hope you've been unlucky rather than us being lucky. Squeaks and rattles drive me nuts, and now I'm scared for my truck (only 1500 miles so far).

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's interesting. Could it be that you've just been unlucky? My dad had an '09 X and my brother has a '15 X. Both suffered far fewer annoying rattles and squeaks than most cars I've owned. I hope you've been unlucky rather than us being lucky. Squeaks and rattles drive me nuts, and now I'm scared for my truck (only 1500 miles so far).
16' here with 5500 miles, not a single rattle or squeak. Now, my 2013 Grand Cherokee? That thing made so much noise it was unbearable. It was a main deciding factor in trading it believe it or not.

OP, I recently cross shopped wranglers with the pro4x, among other things. For me it came down to a couple things. A base wrangler sport was basically as much $$ as a pro4x. No options, vs essentially fully loaded. Next came the hauling capacity. The truck wins there as well in both cargo with the bed, and 2x-3x the towing. Road noise was way better with the pro4 as well. As far as offroad ability, for ME they were probably essentially equal. The pro4 has the locking rear diff, and beefier tires/suspension over a base wrangler. Either can be surely upgraded to do better.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Could be, but the dash rattles, hood squeak, rear end issues, etc., are well documented. See this thread:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/common-problems-frontiers-44626/

I still think the Frontier is a good price point vehicle, but you would think with such an old platform Nissan could have resolved these issues by now.

I am just happy it is not my primary ride and is used for hunting, camping, and trail running.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Aside from the passenger seat vibration when nobody is sitting in it, my truck makes no noises.

The only complaint I have is that the power windows are much slower now than when I bought it 3 years ago.

Truck or jeep? Get whichever one you'll be using as your daily driver. No point in buying a brand new Jeep if you're only going to use it for offroading and the rest of the time you'll be driving your old truck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd go with the Frontier mainly because you are going to be using it as a daily. I don't think you should buy something new for a dedicated trail rig. Plus I'd take a bronco over a Jeep.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a new jeep last year and has had nothing but problems with it. May be a fluke, but just do your research before you pull the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a new jeep last year and has had nothing but problems with it. May be a fluke, but just do your research before you pull the trigger.
What kinds of issues is he having?

Clint

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd go with the Frontier mainly because you are going to be using it as a daily. I don't think you should buy something new for a dedicated trail rig. Plus I'd take a bronco over a Jeep.
I have asked maybe a dozen of my friends about my Bronco vs new Jeep, and all but 1 said I would be crazy to get rid of my Bronco for a Jeep.

The 1 who differed said it was because the Jeep was "cool".

Pic of the Bronco

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like the Wrangler but don't think I could settle for a Sport. I'd want a 2dr 6MT Rubicon which is a $40k CAD vehicle. The 3.6L Pentastar just isn't what I like in a V6, feels similar to the Tacoma 3.5L IMO, no low end torque.

If I was buying new I'd get what I have now. King cab Pro-4x 6MT, can be had for $29.9k CAD.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
That is an early 80 Bronco right? I had an '82 and loved it, I sold it and bought a '97 Wrangler, also loved it

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is an early 80 Bronco right? I had an '82 and loved it, I sold it and bought a '97 Wrangler, also loved it

It's a 1990 model.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have asked maybe a dozen of my friends about my Bronco vs new Jeep, and all but 1 said I would be crazy to get rid of my Bronco for a Jeep.

The 1 who differed said it was because the Jeep was "cool".

Pic of the Bronco

That's a nice Bronco. Wish the upcoming one would look like that but it doesn't sound like it will.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Ahhh, an OJ Special

·
Registered
520 Posts
My 05 wrangler unlimited got traded due to BS distributer design and no part availability during the 08ish fiat buyout. Brought home an 07 Unlimited with 27kmi on it, she was cherry. Noticed a PS line leaking, backordered. Then the severe lack of power became annoying. last straw, I started to feel the torque converter slipping on lockup. Traded it in shortly after. Shortest ownership of my life at two months! I love the Jeep camaraderie but its really just sympathy for your brethren's pain and suffering from owning a MOPAR. If they can't engineer quality into a 60yo platform I don't want it. None of these issues with my 4.5 yo 42Kmi Frontier. Which incidentally I have owned the longest of any vehicle..
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

1 - 20 of 40 Posts