Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
for that cost, an f150 crew cab texas edition with 4x4 and the 3.5 ecoboost right next to it on the lot could have went home with us.
That's how I felt buying a Frontier, that I was basically paying the same price (or more) for a smaller/less-capable truck. But I consider the Frontier to be the right size tool for the job, and for that, I see value in it.

I would NEVER want a 1st year car/truck from any make.
Same here. At least with Fords, you should always wait until the minor model change (mid-cycle refresh) to consider purchasing one.

The one exception I've made to "never buy a first-year car" is my Honda HR-V. I bought it a few months after it was available for sale in the US. But even though the body of the car is new, the engine is the naturally-aspirated, port-injected R18A6 used in Honda Civics for the last 8ish years. And at least in my case, the manual transmission is from the Honda CR-Z sport hybrid.

I would've looked elsewhere if it shipped with a new engine/transmission.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
That's how I felt buying a Frontier, that I was basically paying the same price (or more) for a smaller/less-capable truck. But I consider the Frontier to be the right size tool for the job, and for that, I see value in it.

Same here. At least with Fords, you should always wait until the minor model change (mid-cycle refresh) to consider purchasing one.

The one exception I've made to "never buy a first-year car" is my Honda HR-V. I bought it a few months after it was available for sale in the US. But even though the body of the car is new, the engine is the naturally-aspirated, port-injected R18A6 used in Honda Civics for the last 8ish years. And at least in my case, the manual transmission is from the Honda CR-Z sport hybrid.

Even with Honda's its a gamble. My parents used to drive ACURA brand cars. Bought first year versions years back nothing but problems. So much so they switched over to Lexus.

Rule of thumb, NEVER buy a first year anything. Yeah you might get a good one? Maybe Not, but the % of getting a bad one is MUCH higher vs a version that has been out a few years.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV CC SB 4x4
13 Posts

I had this same experience with HR-V, and it was great! Proven engine and 6-spd trans, just a new chassis. Only issue I had was a noisy window seal (quickly fixed by dealer,) and under-powered AC (by design to get more mpg out of the ancient engine.) I too would have avoided a new power plant.

One of the biggest draws for me was the 15+ year proving-time of the Frontier. Coming out of wonky Subaru issues, I am happy to get lousy mpgs for a vehicle that works right every time.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts