Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
truck front.jpg I just finnished installing the PRG 3" deluxe lift kit.
When installing the rear DEAVER 2 leaf spring pack the instructions say to dispose of the original single (thick) lower overload spring and add the new 2 spring pk. to the existing 3 spring pk.
It did give me the expected 2-3" lift, but has anyone tried keeping the overload spring in place?
It should be good for another inch.
I don't mind the rear being a little higher like the original PU styling or I can dial up the front RADFLO's a bit.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
I actually started a thread asking the same question a couple weeks ago. Nobody has really tried it yet that had responded. Many said it would work but you would lose some of the flex that is gained by getting the deaver. I'm still planning on trying it when I pull the front back apart to do the titan swap. I figure it will be on the lift and should only take a few minutes. If I get done before you I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was thinking that might happen too. That's why I have been hesitant to reinstall them. I want to mostly because I tow a 3200 lb jeep on a 1200 lb or so trailer and don't want to destroy the deavers completely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just installed the AC 3 leaf pack and decided to leave in the overload leafs. I work in construction and carry heavy loads quite a bit, so I wanted to have the insurance of the overload leaf. The ride is a little rougher than stock, even with the new Bilsteins. I do notice a clunky sound from the rear. I thought something wasn't tight, but I retorqued everything down and the clunk is still there. I'm thinking it's just what I have to deal with by having the overload leafs with the aal's. I did have to rotate the overload leafs 180 degrees to avoid the guide bracket from interfering with the bracket on the aal's. I did gain almost 4" in the rear. So with my Revtek spacer up front at 2.5" lift, the rear sits about 3" higher(can anyone say "rake"). I'm hoping that when I install the adjustable bils and LD lift coils up front, the rake won't be as bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i remember Greg tellin me NOT to install the overload leaf since it woud cause premature wear on the AAL's
I was told by AC that you could leave in the overload leafs but would just need longer u-bolts. They said they don't recommend it but didn't tell me why. Greg is probably correct, but I don't know the reasoning behind it.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I have also seen a few of Frontiers on the EXPO use the Automotive Customizers 3 leaf pack and keep the load left in.

Deaver seem to wear out fast on their own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told by AC that you could leave in the overload leafs but would just need longer u-bolts. They said they don't recommend it but didn't tell me why. Greg is probably correct, but I don't know the reasoning behind it.

What about the front lift height?
It looks like you got at least an inch or 2 extra lift in the rear.
I might try it if it isn't too.
Is it a really stiff ride or (clunking) noisy?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's how it sits with the 3 leaf+overload leaf in the back and Revtek 2.5" spacer in the front. Hopefully when I install the adjustable bils in the front with lift coils and gain another 1/2" it will push the back down a tad.

I don't really mind the truck having a little rake, since I need the load capacity. I had about 1200lbs of wood in the back the other day and the leaf pack was sitting flat on the overloads. I gaurantee those AC leafs will snap like toothpicks if I put over 1500 lbs in the bed. I don't really think they add a whole lot of load capacity which is why I'm going to keep the overload leaf in place.

·
Registered
310 Posts

It looks like the "clunk" could possibly be coming from the AAL guide bolt underneath making contact with the top of the overload leaf. Greg told me not to reinstall the overload leaf as they would pull the AAL's back down causing them to flatten out and wear out prematurely. Im assuming because of the bolt on top of the guides, but I see you dont have those in. The only other reason I can think of is that the lowest leaf is shorter than the other 2, so if you have enough load in the top 2 leafs would bend over the lower leaf causing them to flatten out or possibly crack. Greg said the deavers dont increase load capacity, but dont reduce it either. Also Black Nanja, love the wheels, thinking of gettin those. Could you post a close up pic of the lip/rim. I wanna get the lip polished up, but dont know if it can be done with the recess in the lip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts