Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*PLEASE* Read this entire thread before posting. Check for updates by looking at the Editing box date and time at the bottom of each post.

All unnecessary chatter will be deleted to keep the discussion on topic and minimize posts. PLEASE use this thread - Overlanding - Death Valley, CA for all discussion that is not SPECIFICALLY related to subjects related to this run. If you have any questions PM me and I will get back to you ASAP.

Dates for this run are: Thu March 23 - Sun March 26 2017.
I am planning to drive to the area on Wed March 22nd and you are welcome to join me.

This will be the first trip to DV for the NorCal/NV wheeling crew. We will be camping in 2 different locations in the park, in order to explore more terrain.

The participant list will be limited to 12 rigs due to the limits imposed by the National Parks Service (NPS). 10 people have committed or expressed interest already, to be included on the list, PLEASE send me a PM and I will add you to the list. If someone drops out, you will move up on the list.

I am putting your percentage of participation and attendance dates next to your name based on previous discussions and private communications. If you want me to change either of those, PM me the info.

Confirmed Attendees:
1. BCBrian 100% (3/22 late - 3/26)
2. JeniorNV 100% (3/23 late - 3-26)
3. jbumx2 100% (3/23 late - 3/26)
4. crewmaxxis 100% (3/23 - 3/26)
5. Chito Frontier 100% (3/23 - 3/26)
6. Tom R 100% (3/23 late - 3/26)
7. Nomad 13 95% (3/23 - 3/26)
8. TokenTaco 100% (3/23 late - 3/26)
9. Jay (FJ) 100% (3/23 - 3/24) Chito's friend

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Route

Here is the best map I have found so far - Death Valley Backcountry Roads

Thu eve 3/23 we will be meeting at Panamint Springs CG. Fri 3/24 we will be running N to South Pass and Saline Valley Rd, over Lippincott Rd to The Racetrack, Teakettle Junction and then Ubehebe Crater. We will then head S to Furnace Creek and spend the night at Texas Springs CG. Sat 3/25 will be a run S to Warm Springs Canyon, through Butte Valley and over Mengel Pass through Goler Canyon. There are several cabins and historic sites along this route. The plan is to make it back to Panamint Springs CG but if we get delayed there are many places to camp on the trail. Sun 3/26 may include a little morning exploration before heading for home.

Link to CG for thu and sat nights - http://www.panamintsprings.com/

I suggest that you reserve a site now as the group site and several individual sites are already reserved.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rules and Regulations

From NPS:

AUDIO DISTURBANCES
• Operating motorized equipment or machinery such as an electric generating plant, motor vehicle, motorized toy, musical instrument, or an audio device such as a radio or stereo, in a manner that exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels at 50 feet or, if below that level, makes noise which is unreasonable for the time and place, or impact on others is prohibited.
• Operation of a public address system in connection with a public gathering or special event requires a permit.

BACKCOUNTRY CAMPING
Backcountry Camping Permits
Voluntary backcountry camping permits are available at the Visitor Center and other visitor contact stations when open, and may be issued by NPS field staff. The permit is designed to gather backcountry use statistical data and provide vital information for rescuers in cases of emergency.

Where Backcountry Camping (roadside or wilderness) IS allowed:
• More than 1 mile from the nearest paved road, developed area, or designated day-use dirt road.
• More than 100 feet from any water source that is not otherwise closed.
• Undesignated or roadside camping is allowed in previously disturbed areas along open dirt roads.
Where Backcountry Camping (roadside or wilderness) is NOT allowed:
• On all paved roads within the limits of the national park boundary.
• Within 1 mile of the nearest paved road, developed area, or day-use dirt road.
• On the floor of Death Valley from Ashford Mill to 2 miles north of Stovepipe Wells.
• On the active shifting sand areas of Eureka Dunes.

*The following will need to be researched and addressed*
Backcountry group size:
• Limited to 12 persons, and/or 8 pack animals, and/or 4 vehicles.
• Groups overnighting in wilderness, backcountry, and in non-designated group camping areas with group size exceeding 12 persons shall be required to split into smaller groups of 12 persons or fewer, and hike, camp, and eat a half-mile mile from the other group. Visitors and other park guests may request an exception to these limits from the Superintendent under the terms of a Special Use Permit

CAMPFIRES
• Campfires are permitted only in NPS-provided fire grates or grills. These fire enclosures may be found in campgrounds, picnic areas, backcountry roadside campsites, or outside of roadside campgrounds.
• Wildrose, Thorndike and Mahogany Campgrounds are closed to campfires between June 15 and September 15 due to High Fire Danger season.
• At Sunset Campground all ash producing fires are prohibited, except those in the Group Designated Fire Ring.
• The construction of new fire rings is specifically prohibited.
• All firewood must be brought into the park. No gathering, cutting or scavenging of firewood or kindling is permitted in the park from any source.
• Fires left unattended, regardless of the length of time is prohibited.
• In all designated campgrounds, natural gas or white gas-produced fires are permitted in appropriately designed units wherin the flow of gas can be controlled and instantaneously discontinued.

ROADS & VEHICLE USE
• All vehicles must remain on established roads. This includes motorcycles, bicycles and four-wheel-drive vehicles.
• All motorized vehicles and drivers must be properly licensed.
• Operating a motor vehicle in a manner that causes unreasonable damage to the surface of a park road or route is prohibited.
• The maximum speed on paved park roads is 35 mph unless otherwise posted.
• The maximum speed on dirt roads is 25 mph unless otherwise posted
• The maximum speed limit in all campgrounds is 15 mph unless otherwise posted.
Variations from the speed limit designations in the general regulations have been made where road conditions allow either a higher speed without jeopardizing public safety, or require a lower speed limit for public safety and to prevent road deterioration.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Required equipment

Each rig should carry the following: OK maybe the title should say suggested...(remember this is a work in progress.)

Vehicle:
- Recovery points front and rear.
- Recovery Strap.
- CB Radio. Those with Ham radio's, please bring them in case of emergency.
- Full size spare (2 preferred). The same size as the tires on your truck.
- Plug Kit and can of Fix-A-Flat. (So you rip a sidewall on your last spare and have to jam a bunch of plugs into it... get the idea?)
- Jack that can lift your rig and lug wrench.
- Compressor capable of inflating your tires.
- Extra fuel. We are going to be in some of the most remote country in the US.
- Coolant and water.
- Oil and other lubricants.
- Fluid spill mats.
- Wide variety of tools.
- Spare parts. Suggested by a trusted member.
*CV axles
*Tie rod ends
*Hub/wheel bearing assemblies
*U joints
*Serpentine belt
- Tarp to place on ground during repair.
- Brake clean and wipes.
- Traction device. Maxtrax etc.
- Shovel.
- Trash Bags.
- Fire Extinguisher.
- Snake Bite Kit.

Personal:
- Well stocked First Aid kit
- Water. LOTS.
- Food. Extra.
- 5 Gal Bucket with a lid that fits tight.
- Toilet Paper (to throw in the bucket).
- Biodegradable Soap.
- Sunscreen and hat.
- Prescriptions.
- Spare eye glasses.
- Solar Shower (please).
- Bath kit (soap, toothbrush and paste etc.)
- Warm Clothing.
- Camping Gear. (Sleeping bag, tent etc.)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Place holder

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Slot Available

If you would like to join us on this adventure please post with the percentage of probability that you will be there. Please do not throw your hat in the ring if you are not more than 70% sure you will make it. Since this trip is limited to 12 rigs, anyone who says maybe or less than 70% will be subject to being bumped by serious participants.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Route Map

Here is our planned route highlighted on the map. As we get closer, I will gather information about any closures or washouts that could affect our trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pretty sure I'll be racking out in this thing...

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Well crap...

I really hate to do this but I don't think we'll be able to attend:( We really want to go but I just don't see us finishing everything in time, and this is beside the fact that we have done zero planning as of yet.
My time has just been sucked up with the senior project, work, other classes, rain, and now being sick. I'd have to take a week off of work beforehand to finish in time now. Had some unexpected trailer issues come up and I haven't even touched the truck (which needs some love).

Really, really sorry guys:(

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well crap...

I really hate to do this but I don't think we'll be able to attend:( We really want to go but I just don't see us finishing everything in time, and this is beside the fact that we have done zero planning as of yet.
My time has just been sucked up with the senior project, work, other classes, rain, and now being sick. I'd have to take a week off of work beforehand to finish in time now. Had some unexpected trailer issues come up and I haven't even touched the truck (which needs some love).

Really, really sorry guys:(
Sorry to hear that glamisdude. Hope you feel better and get the trailer finished soon!

I removed you from the list.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^I know its been while... Maybe once things cool down a bit in terms of stuff going on I'll finally get around to hosting the Anza Borrego camping/wheeling trip I've been talking about some a few years now.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2 weeks to go!

I hope everyone is getting prepared for this trip as it is only 2 weeks away! The forecast is looking good for the next 10 days with temps ranging from the low 90s to high 50s.

There are some trail/road closures that may affect our route but Tom and I have been discussing alternates if they do not reopen by our arrival. Fridays route is clear but saturdays route may change and we have been discussing the options available. Camping plans will remain as planned.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The West Side Road is back open with the notation 'High Clearance and 4 Wheel Drive Recommended' so the previously discussed route is accessible again.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
1 week to go!

1 week from today we will be meeting at Panamint Springs for our 1st Death Valley Adventure. Tom R has a great plan in place for the route and site seeing stops.

Rig count is down to 8 as R00 has dropped out. If anyone is considering showing up on wednesday let me know.

If you have a capable vehicle (4X4, skids/sliders etc.) and want to join us, PM me.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Don't know whether I'll be able to make it out on wed, most likely late morning on thurs.
I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know whether I'll be able to make it out on wed, most likely late morning on thurs.
I'll let you know.
Excellent Nomad! Let me know if you need my cell # (I have no idea if it will even work out there....) and I'll be monitoring CH 22.

Maybe what I'll do is head east thu morning and meet up with you. If we have time we could explore a little of the area that we will not get to on the planned runs.

Let me know what route you will be taking into the park.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am on my way to DV. Contact me via my cell number or CH 22 when you get close by.

See you tommorow!

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I am on my way to DV. Contact me via my cell number or CH 22 when you get close by.

See you tommorow!
Ok. Safe travels! I'll hit you up via text when I head out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts