Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 06 Frontier a few months ago and I am considering a few performance mods such as intake and exhaust. I've already put on the leveling kit with some larger tires. Just a little concerned about what the dealership's reaction would be to all of these things if I ever need any warranty work.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the dealership's regarding performance and/or suspension modifications. When I was younger I had a VW GTI and I was told by my service rep that I was screwed if I did any performance mods because they could always find a way to blame any problems on my mods.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
my dealers service manager thinks my mods are cool. he has no issues with anything i have done to date

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
there is accually a law that says something to the effect of, a modification cannot void a warranty unless:
  • the modification is proven to cause the defect
  • the modified part is the/the cause of the defect
  • the modification provides proof of purposful abuse to the vehicle

real issues of what you are wanting to do
intake:
  1. known, if uses an oiled filter, to cause MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to prematurely fail.
  2. the dealer can blame many sorts of things on an intake.
ehaust:
  1. Illegal in some states (california for sure). where our law basicaly says you cannot replace a component of the emissions system unless it is broken.
  2. I have heard of them voiding paint warrantys
  3. you are kissing your emissions warranty good-bye.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My nissan dealership actually sells performance mods. They have a big dry marker board in the service department with a list of sales they have for mods. last time I was there they had the banks exhaust, both K&N intakes and nismo intake for the Frontier. Titan and Armada had a few parts too but nothing campared to the 350Z that list had like 10 aftermarket parts. And these are the parts that are on sale so who knows what else they sell. Only thing is they still charge outrages prices even when they are on sale

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I better go with the AirAid intake. It should be the simplest to switch back to stock since it uses the factory tube. I might just pass on the exhaust. I'd be doing it just for the sound anyway since most of the systems that are out seem to be 3 inch which is just going to rob me of low end anyway.

I guess you never know what your true experience will be with your dealer until you have a major problem. Then I guess I will find out how cool they think my mods are. LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
i work for a dealership and my manager, service consultant and all of us tech have no problem with all performace add on like intake and exhaust, we have a lot of G35/FX's have this modification, and we never have/ or get any driveablity problem with it. or and failed part related to the modification.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the dealership this morning. They do sell and install the K&N intake and magnaflow exhaust. The parts guy said that as long as I buy from them and they install it that there should never be any waranty issues. The only problem is that they want $395 + labor for the damn intake 8O sounds like a rip. Anyways, I think I'm just being a little overly paranoid about these basic mods causing any major problems.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
224 Posts
beefy06 said:
Went to the dealership this morning. They do sell and install the K&N intake and magnaflow exhaust. The parts guy said that as long as I buy from them and they install it that there should never be any waranty issues. The only problem is that they want $395 + labor for the damn intake 8O sounds like a rip. Anyways, I think I'm just being a little overly paranoid about these basic mods causing any major problems.

Thanks for the replies.
i've been browsing around all over the net and some other forum, i haeven't heard or reported any problem with this basic mods. $395 for intke or exhaust?
you can installed this part yourself with basic hand tools/time,
i dont think ehasut will void any of your warranty. as far as intake i would assumed some dealer will void it only from filter to throttle body if something break. as far as you mass airflow meter, they need to prove that you CAI they need to prove that your CAI make the mass airflow go bad.

if anybody got mass airflow problem and dealer wont cover it under warranty i would ask the for readings on the sensor normal reading at 98%-102%

bad sensor below 80% or over 110%
dirt on mass airflow will not make sensor go bad, i think

i had a bad sensor before try to cleaned nothing changed on the reading
they usually go bad internally not externally.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Might be some discretion involved

Early on, I asked my dealer if adding a leaf spring would void the warranty. To clarify, the mod I was interested in was strictly for increased stiffness for load-handling, not for the very tiny amount of lift that would result. The response was the expected one: DON'T DO THAT!

Later on, I was talking about it again to someone else at the dealership. I described what I was considering AND told him it would be custom work done by a well-regarded spring and axle shop. This time, the response was, 'Oh, if [name of shop] is doing the work, you won't have any trouble at all. Don't worry about it."

I think what they are paranoid about is people tacking on Add-A-Leaf kits, people who don't know what they're doing. BTW, I did talk to some 4WD shops and I got the impression some of them had no clue about the load-handling aspect. So in some cases, it might be a matter of who does the work, and what the goal is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts