Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Recently (about 2 weeks ago) took my truck in for a routine oil change at my local dealership. Normally always do this myself, but I was short on time and had to go there anyway for another matter. 2 birds with one stone, or so I thought. Dealership is: Mike Barney Nissan, in Buffalo, NY. I opened the hood today only to find the oil cap was never put back on and the driver's side of the engine bay covered in oil. I should've known better, but at least it was only 2 weeks and the oil level is still fine. Luckily enough the cap was left on top of the engine cover and got sandwiched between it and the hood, so I didn't lose it. Guess I won't be making that mistake again. Very disappointed, do not go to Mike Barney Nissan for anyone in the Buffalo area!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wow! That sucks. Looks like you dodged a bullet there. Clowns are always in a hurry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't contacted them yet, being that it's Sunday and they are closed. They'll be getting an earful tomorrow, but I doubt they'll do anything about it

·
Registered
Great truck
1,099 Posts
Our local ford dealer forgot to put oil in my wife's 2014 ford escape when it went in for it's first oil change. I know how you feel.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've done it. Even left the funnel there. Probably 1000 miles before I found it. A random whiff of motor oil was my only clue. That was a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised. Car dealers and politicians are lumped into the category of the worst sort of folk. Slippery and sneaky. I'm still going to call and see though, I got to try
If it's close by, I'd drive in and give them chit in person. They'd be more likely to at least wash down the engine bay right there.
Some dealers are much better than others, don't be surprised if they treat you right.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I too think they'll deny it since there is no actual proof that they did it. Before you call I'd suggest figuring out what you want from them so you're prepared for the call. Since no damage is done they likely won't refund but maybe they'll detail the engine bay since that won't cost them anything but an hour of some kid's labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If nothing else, threaten them with giving them a bad survey rating. Our local dealers constantly want you to give them nothing less than a 10 on all their survey answers. On my wife's car, they tried to sell me a new tire because they told me I had a screw in the sidewall and that they couldn't remove it. I looked at it when I went home, and it was just a small screw head in the middle of the tire in the thickest part of the tread. It was only about 1/8th of an inch long and did not even penetrate the rubber. I picked it out with my thumbnail. When I got the survey, I gave them really bad marks. I got a call from the dealer and also from the manufacturer. I ended up with 2 free oil changes without even asking.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
If nothing else, threaten them with giving them a bad survey rating. Our local dealers constantly want you to give them nothing less than a 10 on all their survey answers. On my wife's car, they tried to sell me a new tire because they told me I had a screw in the sidewall and that they couldn't remove it. I looked at it when I went home, and it was just a small screw head in the middle of the tire in the thickest part of the tread. It was only about 1/8th of an inch long and did not even penetrate the rubber. I picked it out with my thumbnail. When I got the survey, I gave them really bad marks. I got a call from the dealer and also from the manufacturer. I ended up with 2 free oil changes without even asking.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So they're dishonest and lie about your tire damage, then offer up two oil changes when you complain.Why in the hell would anyone go back and let them do any work of any kind.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would think at the very least a free oil change and full wash including engine bay.
Same thing happened to me on a previous car. Dealer lube tech left the oil cap off. I found out after I drove across town. I called the dealer back. They towed the car back. The service manager and the general manager were there to greet me when I arrived in the tow truck. Surveyed the damage, and since it was close to closing time, they gave me a free rental from the local Enterprise.

The car lost about 1/4 of a quart of oil. They changed the oil and filter again and fully detailed the entire car (engine bay, exterior, and interior). They tried to pressure wash the under-hood insulation which was stained with oil, but that damaged it. So they ordered a new one and installed it at no cost. All in all, the invoice came to a little less than $400 for a $45 oil change. The bulk of that cost was the hood insulation.

I wasn't even mad. I'd be lying if I said I didn't make the same mistake. I would've been happy if they just topped off the oil and washed the engine off. The only thing I argued with them about was that they wanted me to shove a rag in the filler hole and drive the car back. The oil cap was MIA. The service manager later found it on the lube tech's bench.

I told 'em, you're either towing it for me, I'll get it towed and send you the bill, or you'll send me a notarized document requesting that I drive it back and accept full responsibility for anything that may happen, up to and including full engine replacement. They said they are sending a tow truck before I got off the phone.

So they're dishonest and lie about your tire damage, then offer up two oil changes when you complain.Why in the hell would anyone go back and let them do any work of any kind.
Never quite understood that either. Oil changes cost dealerships very little. It's an inexpensive "got something for free" mediation tool. When I bought a used truck, the sales person offered two free oil changes to "push me over" and agree to buy the truck.

I said, I live 250 miles away. I'm not coming back for an oil change. However, I noticed the gas gauge was on "E" during the test drive. I asked for a full tank of gas to get me home (long bed truck with a 38-gallon tank, and gas was close to $4.00 a gallon at the time).

Sales person walked to the tower, who told him no, presumably because they were likely selling me the truck for a loss after I pointed out that it probably was in an accident that wasn't reported. I was ready to walk, so the sales person paid for it out of his pocket.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts