Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which way to go, doing it myself or just take it to the dealer. Called them today for my first maintenance at 25k miles. Only oil changes has been done so far but I would like to have the radiator/cooling system flush, transmission service/flush and synthetic oil change. They quoted $290 plus tax. How much will I save If I do this myself? I'm not very mechanical, should I just have them do it so I don't screw it up? thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Las vegas. I'll just let them do it. They want nearly $800 for the 30k service. I'm just breaking it down little at a time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Las vegas. I'll just let them do it. They want nearly $800 for the 30k service. I'm just breaking it down little at a time.

At my dealership where my wife and I have purchased several vehicles during the past few years.The service persons knows our driving habits. We are on schedule 2 these people know what will be needed, they have never treated us wrong. In other words they never have taken advantage of needless repair or service work.

I asked the other day what will my 30K cost me when we get there. He advised me a little less than $200. It depends on if I need a oil change during that visit.

BTW... the dealership is Streater Smith Nissan in Conroe, Texas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Others actually care about their customers. I do little maintenance every now and then just to cut down the cost, I'm trying. I just thougt these services I want done are really important.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what they want. So, I will just pick the major one's like the one's mentioned above, get those done and hopefully they will do the free general check up. I can do the cabin filters myself which alone they want $100. After that I'll have the rest done little at a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These is really no need to flush

In my view, all you need to do is change the coolent and trans fluid. Unless
the owner's manual says you need to do more. That flushing has caused problems for people, when done by one of these quick oil change places.

Synthetic oil is a choice you have, I don't think it is worth the extra cost,
for most people. If you live in Alaska, that would be a different story.

Most of the time, coolent & trans fluid, is a two year or 30K miles, intererval.
Also, many of these dealers, have young and flaky workers who don't do real great work...do it yourself, if it's just a oil change, thenyou know it will be
done right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had the transmission service at the dealer and they replaced 4 quarts of ATF synthetic. I had the oil changed which is synthetic also, cost $210. I changed the cabin filters myself, cost $20 and ten minutes labor. I have two vehicles to maintain and I'm doing whatever I can to save a little. In time I'll learn enough to do these routine maintenance. You're right about doing these things yourself, you know what has been done and if it's done right. I felt that way when I had a bike and I learned how to fix it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would recommend paying to get the tires balanced if they haven't been done yet. That is something you can't do yourself and can make a noticeable difference in ride and mpg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will ask at the dealer how much they charge for that and compare it to local tire shop, thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts