Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

As some of you know, I just recently purchased a 2014 Pro4x from a Volvo used lot. I called Nissan and they told me that they the original owner had purchased an extended warranty that could be transferred over. Great! The only thing they had to do was inspect the truck. Fine, ok. I already had it inspected from my independent mechanic but they wanted their mechanics to look at it instead. $175 for an inspection but okay, fine, worth it if I get that extended warranty in my name. Anyway, the vehicle gets inspected and 'passes', the only thing is that the right rear wheel bearing has a little bit of play and needs to be replaced (under warranty). So I leave the dealership and hear a belt whine, weird, didn't do that before. Didn't think much of it until I stopped off at the bank and smelled a sweet smell. Almost like a flavoured coffee cream scent. Come back from the bank and there it is, white steam coming from under my hood. Instantly knew it was coolant. I open up the hood and there it is, coolant everywhere! Rad cap missing. Call the dealership and explain the situation and they tell me to tow it over. Well, it's 4:30, and the towing companies are booked until close. Call back the service manager and ask them to send someone with coolant and a rad cap. An hour later, they end up sending the technician who worked on it and he fills it up with coolant. He apologizes as he admits that he forgot to put the rad cap back on.

I wasn't able to speak to the service manager again since it was after closing time but the technician felt incredibly bad and told me they would 'make this better'. Any thoughts on what I need to get them to check out? I only drove about 30km and the engine temp was only slightly above normal. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Dealer made an honest mistake and is living up to it. It happens. Didn't hurt anything. Just made a mess and I am sure the dealer will clean it up. Ask them to leave the engine shine off the engine when they clean it. Makes tired engine compartments look pretty for the used car lot but attracts dirt later.

You are probably a little low on coolant. Which means you probably won't have heat at idle. DO NOT REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP. That makes air bubbles in the cooling system of these trucks. These trucks have a pressurized coolant bottle, otherwise known as a de-gas bottle. Top if off there. Might take a few tries to fully clear the bubble out. Top it to the full mark, drive, check. It will not clear the bubble at idle no matter how long you wait. Has to be driven to clear the bubble. The lazy who won't drive it have created crazy ways of using jackstands and pointing up the driveway that is a stupid amount of work to avoid a lap down to the corner store.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer made an honest mistake and is living up to it. It happens. Didn't hurt anything. Just made a mess and I am sure the dealer will clean it up. Ask them to leave the engine shine off the engine when they clean it. Makes tired engine compartments look pretty for the used car lot but attracts dirt later.

You are probably a little low on coolant. Which means you probably won't have heat at idle. DO NOT REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP. That makes air bubbles in the cooling system of these trucks. These trucks have a pressurized coolant bottle, otherwise known as a de-gas bottle. Top if off there. Might take a few tries to fully clear the bubble out. Top it to the full mark, drive, check. It will not clear the bubble at idle no matter how long you wait. Has to be driven to clear the bubble. The lazy who won't drive it have created crazy ways of using jackstands and pointing up the driveway that is a stupid amount of work to avoid a lap down to the corner store.
Yeah, I went on a bit of a rant there. The tech said he put about 2 litres of coolant in there. He topped it off in the radiator. I guess my concern is whether or not my engines requires the coolant lines to be bled or not. Im just glad that my engine didn't overheat and the engine didn't suffer any severe damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts