Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My truck recently suffered the dreaded cross contamination. After $3000 dropped at the dealership, I got a brand new used tranny and a new radiator.

That was about 2-3 weeks ago. Today I open my hood to top of my washer fluid and I notice there is no cap on the resevoir for the coolant.

Question is, besides debris possibly now being in my coolant, should I have any other concerns? Should I tell the dealership to flush and replace my coolant, then put a new cap on?

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
It took you 2 to 3 weeks to inspect under the hood since a 3K repair?

Replace the AWOL cap ASAP and contact the dealer about the same. Not likely to have caused any harm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my line of work, when a client pays $3000 the job is always done right. I didn't think I should be looking for a cap to be missing when this much money is invested in a repair that I shouldn't ever have been doing at such a low mileage.

So yes, I didn't notice until now. I'm not really a mechanical person but doing my best to learn how my truck works and figure out how to do repairs myself.

Thanks for info Teecro!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I doubt debris will be an issue. But air will certainly be in there. Make damn sure you get the correct cap! The pressure cap goes on the reservoir, not the radiator!! Take the cap off of the radiator and make sure it doesn't have a spring (that's the pressure cap). Get both caps correctly installed. Top off the radiator and reservoir, if needed. Then, find a steep hill or ramp the truck without going all the way up. Gotta get the radiator higher than the heater core to remove any air in the system. Don't know if this is needed, but I do it, set the temp control to hot when burping the system. Run the truck in this position for 2-3 minutes at 2500 rpm. Drive home or get off of the ramps, let the truck cool and top off the coolant, if needed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my line of work, when a client pays $3000 the job is always done right. I didn't think I should be looking for a cap to be missing when this much money is invested in a repair that I shouldn't ever have been doing at such a low mileage.

So yes, I didn't notice until now. I'm not really a mechanical person but doing my best to learn how my truck works and figure out how to do repairs myself.

Thanks for info Teecro!
Sorry but as a Ship Engineer I trust no one's work anymore, QC is all but gone in the Service Industry anymore. Just got this ship off drydock a couple months ago and have had to call out divers on not 1 but 3 occasions due to oil leaking from our propeller hubs, all because of pipe plugs not fully tightened down...

If I were you I'd swing by the dealership first thing in the morning and confront the Service Manager about this and ask him to confirm the correct cap placement as commented by yesterdaysradio and replace the missing cap...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it if it was just the resevoir cap. just replace it.

You can't trust service people any unless you've established a relationship with them.
You just have to assume they need to be checked behind to be sure they did their job.
There's just too many motivations for them to cut corners.

I rarely let other people work on my truck. but since I got a two year free maintenance
agreement with my truck, I took it in to be serviced by them. I used a marker to mark
the location of the oil drain plug, oil filter, wheels, and various caps and plugs. They
did change the oil and filter, as far as I could tell they did nothing else, they
certainly didn't rotate the tires which was part of the 30 point check supposedly
included with the maintenance agreement (I won't be using the rest of my maintenance
agreement). lol

Teeco... I wish you'd change your icon, I keep drooling on my keyboard.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Since they missed a cap, make sure they put correct one on radiator and get correct one for plastic tank - they are not interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
This I just do not understand. It is clearly Nissan fault about this defect. Why they don't admit this is beyond me. To charge 3 grand and to replace it with a used transmision is adding insult to injury.
Yes, not all trucks are perfect. Some even caused death and injury but this is bad enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.