Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to change them myself ....but wimped out when I realized you have to take the upper section of the intake manifold off in order to get at the passenger side plugs.

How much should I expect to pay at the dealer?

-Mike
05 Nismo king cab

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll answer my own question. Blew a rear axel seal so I had to take my truck to the dealer for repair asked them about the plugs while I was their.

Spark plug change = $430. $60 for plugs 370 labor.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Whats your mileage? It's not really that hard once you do it. It does take a little while but it's not too bad. Moving the plenum out of the way is the hardest part.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats your mileage? It's not really that hard once you do it. It does take a little while but it's not too bad. Moving the plenum out of the way is the hardest part.
80k and change. I never have a problem getting something apart....:) It's putting it back to together that scares me...especially those intake gaskets. I just know how I am....when thing don't go exactly as planned I get pissed and end up screwing something up.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Our shop charges 2 hrs. for 4.0 V-6 tuneup. It seems 2-2.5hrs is/should be the going rate. It also depends on the labor rate, $ per hr. of the shop.
Dear god please tell me your shop doesn't still use the term "tuneup"

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Dear god please tell me your shop doesn't still use the term "tuneup"
OMG, this reminds me of when I used to work at a Nissan dealer. A guy came in for a "tune up." He wigged out when said tune up was only slapping in a new set of spark plugs. We had to placate him with a new air filter for free.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
lol @ tune ups:laugh:

i would imagine pulling the upper intake is probably a 2-2.5 hr labor op as stated above which is why they are charging so much. it's pretty easy to do by one's self if you have the right tools. also, our plugs are rated for 105k miles. i honestly was planning on doing mine at 80k too but i recently changed the plugs on a truck with similar plugs to ours at 103k miles (recommended interval was 100k) and they looked brand new. probably would have lasted a lot longer. i'd say going to at least 100k miles on the plugs is conservative. you other mechanics agree?

·
Registered
131 Posts
dealer was trying to charge me nearly $400, but the "real problem" turned out to be the IPDM, the IPDM was covered by warranty so i got new spark plugs for free!!
:noworries:

·
Registered
19 Posts
don't remove intake

You don't have to remove the intake to get to the passenger side spark plugs and ignition coils. It takes the right tools (wobble extension, pictured), but you can do it without removing any other engine parts, intake included.

Check out the pictures...

Shame on the dealers for charging $400 for a job that won't take over 1 hr.

BTW, yes I have a 2010, but I couldn't accept the fact that Nissan would make you remove major engine parts to do simple maintenance, so I had to try it 97K miles early. It's tight, but you can do it for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have 100K on mine and I think it need new plugs. I have looked into this and the right side is not too difficult the leftside (passenger side) would be fun. I guess time will tell how good I am ;-)

Where did you purchase that wobbly extension. I did not see it at Sears. We have Sears and Harbor Freights in town.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This is a great discussion guys. I'll probably try to tackle this within the coming year. Thanks get2steve for the photos! I've forever been a bit puzzled at what kind of whacky assemblage is needed to make it all happen.

Newbies, be especially sure to respect the torque values on things as you reassemble. No need to lean into it with a breaker bar. <g> 18 FT/LB Torque on Plug, Coil Pack Bolts @ 62 INCH/LB (that's INCH/Pounds, not FOOT/Pounds on the coil packs!) Your VQ-40 will also appreciate a dab of anti-seize on the new spark plug threads.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
This is a great discussion guys. I'll probably try to tackle this within the coming year. Thanks get2steve for the photos! I've forever been a bit puzzled at what kind of whacky assemblage is needed to make it all happen.

Newbies, be especially sure to respect the torque values on things as you reassemble. No need to lean into it with a breaker bar. <g> 18 FT/LB Torque on Plug, Coil Pack Bolts @ 62 INCH/LB (that's INCH/Pounds, not FOOT/Pounds on the coil packs!) Your VQ-40 will also appreciate a dab of anti-seize on the new spark plug threads.
let me know when Dan, maybe i can make my way down to Cola to help, it's been a long time since we've hung out! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did mine when I installed the IMS. Had the entire job done in like an hour... There really isn't anything to be scared of. Just dont drop anything into you intake!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
let me know when Dan, maybe i can make my way down to Cola to help, it's been a long time since we've hung out! :thumbsup:
Hey, I like that idea! Maybe we'll just set up in the Sears parking lot so that we'll have an unlimited selection of 3/8" wobbles, u-joints and extensions within a three minute walk. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Although the plugs can go 100k miles, I've found that for a DIY'er, they can be tough to get out if left in that long. I did them myself at 75k on our Pathfinder and didn't have to remove anything major. Yes, a selection of extensions and u-joints is a must.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This is somewhat reminiscent of changing plugs on a Subaru. Those boxer engines don't leave much room to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts