Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was reading my owner's manual for my 05 Frontier I noticed the Canadian model is equiped with daytime running lights.. This option would save my on my auto insurance. Can this be activated on the trucks sold in the US? If so, what does it take? My insurance Agent said sometimes all it takes is adding a fuse to the right place on the fuse box, or maybe the dealership can activate the feature. Has anyone done this? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Im alittle late on this thread lol, but that link no longer works.... Is there a way to get foglights always on, or DTRL?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never did get a good answer to my question about the Day Time Running Lights, but I think there was a recent thread where someone had their fogs wired to their parking lights...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think one of the guys wired up a relay to turn his fogs on when the ignition was on.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There are two relays in the fuse box under the hood. I think those are the only components that are required, maybe the light stalk with the auto on headlamps. I tried to attach the 3 pages from the FSM describing the system but its too big and format is unsupported.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think there has to be some form of light sensor to go with the realys to run the Auto lights

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
Aussie Frontier said:
I think there has to be some form of light sensor to go with the realys to run the Auto lights
I have auto headlights on my 02 Maxima and the photocell is mounted on the driver's side of the dashboard right next to the defroster vent. I don't use my auto headlights though. I turn on my headlights manually every time I drive the car. I have been doing this as my own type of DRL since 1984.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
As I was reading my owner's manual for my 05 Frontier I noticed the Canadian model is equiped with daytime running lights.. This option would save my on my auto insurance. Can this be activated on the trucks sold in the US? If so, what does it take? My insurance Agent said sometimes all it takes is adding a fuse to the right place on the fuse box, or maybe the dealership can activate the feature. Has anyone done this? Thanks...
I have modded my factory driving lights to use as daytime running lights. They come on anytime the ignition is on. I have also changed out the H11 clear lamps for amber fog lamps which I think are more noticeable. Check out this http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4616 for my mod.

·
Registered
985 Posts
There are significant differences in the wiring harness and relay panel for day time running lights and regular ones. Would be a tough act to pull off, unless you had a Canadian donor.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Try and find one the Canadian members that recently bought trucks from the US and imported them to Canada. Once we bring a truck up here we have to add DTRL in order to get insurance and plates for it. It can be done

I know there was some threads about it when our dollar was on par to yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts