Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I'm have in another problem! Truck still runs great since I replaced the starter. Now when I accelerate ( a hard acceleration like when you have to get on it) all my dash lights flicker. Any suggestions? Husband thinks bad ground. I have no clue cause it only does it when you get on it. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Did you remove any ground straps while replacing the starter (or doing any other engine work recently)?

With a strap missing, ground current will take any other available path back to the battery - and this path can change as the engine and transmission change position (or "torque") slightly during hard acceleration.

You can also get blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers if the drivetrain rubs against a wire harness as it torques or untorques.

Bad motor mounts can aggravate the problem, by allowing the drivetrain to move around more than it should.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It is also possible that the flicker is caused by a wonky alternator. Does the flicker occur if the truck is in parked in neutral or Park and then race the engine a bit?

Years ago I owned an old Plymouth Volare cop car. The lights flickered on that one too, but only at higher RPMs. It turned out to be the alternator. New alternator solved the problem. Wouldn't hurt to take the truck to the local auto parts and have them check the charging system.

Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I would first check the battery cable terminals and their connection at the battery. Battery cable terminals on these vehicles are notorious for getting loose and creating a poor contact. When the starter was replaced, they likely disconnected at least one of the battery cables from the battery. So, see if the cables can be turned on either of the battery posts before you try anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts