Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to leave work on July 3rd and started car. Had most, if not all lights on dash come on and it idled weird and cut off. Jumped several times and it wouldn’t stay on after I removed cables. Everything was closed on the 4th so I left it there and went back on the 5th. Got battery and alternator tested and my cold cranks were way down on batt but it was still under warranty so I got lucky. Alternator was bad as well and I bought the only one they had in store which was rebuilt. Replaced and everything has been working fine for exactly one month. Went out tonight and truck started right up but after 100ft of driving my ABS, VDC, Slip, and Brake dash lights all come on. I can’t sense anything wrong with the truck other than the lights but I turned around and went home since it was a precursor to it dying last month. One other weird thing that I don’t believe is related is the blower fan being stuck on high. AC and Heat work fine and the nob isn’t stripped it just blows full tilt all the time for last year.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Start with the fan because you have an obvious electrical problem there. Check the wiring and connectors starting at the fan switch and ending at the motor. Getting behind the dash might be a pita. You wouldn't be the first to have a melted connector shorting out somewhere. Could also be a defective blower relay. Switch that relay with another before running out to buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Forget the fan. Start with the battery cables, both ends and every and all ground points you can find underhood. The positive battery cable is a veritable mini-substation of 12v connections, 6 or 7 fuses if I recall right, and excess corrosion on any of those will make the truck go haywire. Most modern vehicles are very susceptible to interrupted power flow, my wife's 2012 RAV4 that we just purchased w/ only 53k miles flicked a PCM underperformance code about 6 weeks ago, and the SES, Trac and ABS warnings came on. Hooked up the scan tool, pulled the codes and went to look at the wiring. All the grounds were good but I cleaned 'em anyway, got to the positive batt terminal hiding under a red plastic cover, yup, there it is. Cleaned it and both batt posts, tightened them back down and sprayed them with battery post protectant spray, no lights since.

Several other folk on here have had various wild n crazy electrical Gremlins as well and I know of at least two personally that I gave the same recommendation as I'm repeating here and it excised their Gremlins. Best thing is its free. Do this first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply this is at least something I can try without getting too into the electrical side of things which is by FAR the aspect of DIY that I am least comfortable/knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Start with the fan issue, which is caused by a short, to eliminate the chance of a fire.
Don't be intimidated by 'electrical' issues. You're looking for a visibly burned wire or melted connector. You don't need to know anything about watts, ohms, amps, etc.

That combination of dash lights will likely lead to a bad wheel speed sensor. But the urgency is with the fan, certainly before you take any long trips, notwithstanding it's been on for a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Start with the fan issue, which is caused by a short, to eliminate the chance of a fire.
Don't be intimidated by 'electrical' issues. You're looking for a visibly burned wire or melted connector. You don't need to know anything about watts, ohms, amps, etc.

That combination of dash lights will likely lead to a bad wheel speed sensor. But the urgency is with the fan, certainly before you take any long trips, notwithstanding it's been on for a year.
Let the car sit for a few days bc I’ve been too busy with work. Went out today and same thing. Started right up and feels fine but before I get to the end of my street all the lights come on. ABS-VDCoff-Brake-SLIP. No check engine though. Also my speedometer works fine. I did hit a nasty bump in the morning of the day it started so from what I’ve read the speed sensor seems like a possibility. Didn’t see any burnt wires and checked the fuses that seemed relevant. Will my speedometer still work with a jacked up speed sensor?

I’ve had such good luck with this truck for 9years i haven’t had to do ANYTHING with it before the alternator last month. So I’m not familiar with her at all really. I’ve tried searching speed sensor replacement guide and it’s always a different year or a different Nissan and some places say there’s more than one. I’m not even sure where the damn thing is to be honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts