Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went wheelin and lost the dash lights and tail lights. I searched the interwebs and found the fuse for this. But when i replace it it keeps blowing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you got a hot wire touching metal.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Or a bulb that has shorted... Pull as many of the bulbs as you can and see if the fuse holds. Replace the bullbs one at a time until it blows the fuse.

If it still blows with all the bulbs removed, you have a wiring issue....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Or a bulb that has shorted... Pull as many of the bulbs as you can and see if the fuse holds. Replace the bullbs one at a time until it blows the fuse.

If it still blows with all the bulbs removed, you have a wiring issue....

All bulbs pulled all ok. Is there a process to find the short? Elumination one by one?

Sounds like you got a hot wire touching metal.

Hmm. I havent wired anything on that circuit recently. Could another hot thats touchin the frame affect another circuit? And why this cricuit of them all? I did notice when i remove positive battery terminal nut there was a significant spark much more powerful than ever before.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Just put them back in one at a time until the fuse blows. A bulb reads almost a short on a meter, so not a real easy way to test off the truck.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
All bulbs pulled all ok.
I can't understand from your response whether you pulled all the bulbs and then the fuse did not blow, or if you pulled bulbs and checked each bulb for a short.

Likely your issue will be a bad socket, bad wire, or bad light switch; be systematic. The taillights and dash lights are on the same circuit intentionally so one has the indication that the taillights are not working (as most people never check those).

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
I did notice when i remove positive battery terminal nut there was a significant spark much more powerful than ever before.
When disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, I was taught to first remove &/or lastly connect the negative terminal so as to avoid the spark/sparks and possible surge of current into the electrical system. Perhaps choosing the positive terminal is more appropriate in your scenario? IDK

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Also, not a bad idea to check each light socket for corrosion and moisture. You can clean the corrosion with a battery terminal brush inside the light sockets. I've had cars in the past have strange light issues that were caused by corrosion buildup in the socket.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I've been responding through my phone so have been keeping things brief...

I assumed that after pulling the bulbs, the fuse does not blow.

At this point, I would reinsert each bulb (one at a time) until the fuse blows. Inspect each bulb. Many of them use a folded wire as a contact on the base. If that wire bends or breaks, it can short out a socket. Also inspect the socket for those pieces of wire, corrosion, or anything else that might be bridging the contacts...

I have had bulbs that have been shorted and blow fuses. It is rare, but may be more likely with some of the newer LED bulbs.

If you get them back in and everything works, you may have cleared the short simply by removing the offending bulb and reinserting it. In this case, I would be inclined to inspect the wiring for any frays, pinches, or other opportunities for a short just to make sure.

If you end up cleaning bulb sockets, do not do it wire a wire brush. Bristles detach and create more shorts. Use a non conductive brush.

Sometimes finding these, when they are intermittent, can be very frustrating. Just take your time, be systematic, and you will find it.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, I was taught to first remove &/or lastly connect the negative terminal so as to avoid the spark/sparks and possible surge of current into the electrical system. Perhaps choosing the positive terminal is more appropriate in your scenario? IDK

Possibly will try

Also, not a bad idea to check each light socket for corrosion and moisture. You can clean the corrosion with a battery terminal brush inside the light sockets. I've had cars in the past have strange light issues that were caused by corrosion buildup in the socket.

All clean and in tact

I've been responding through my phone so have been keeping things brief...

I assumed that after pulling the bulbs, the fuse does not blow.

At this point, I would reinsert each bulb (one at a time) until the fuse blows. Inspect each bulb. Many of them use a folded wire as a contact on the base. If that wire bends or breaks, it can short out a socket. Also inspect the socket for those pieces of wire, corrosion, or anything else that might be bridging the contacts...

I have had bulbs that have been shorted and blow fuses. It is rare, but may be more likely with some of the newer LED bulbs.

If you get them back in and everything works, you may have cleared the short simply by removing the offending bulb and reinserting it. In this case, I would be inclined to inspect the wiring for any frays, pinches, or other opportunities for a short just to make sure.

If you end up cleaning bulb sockets, do not do it wire a wire brush. Bristles detach and create more shorts. Use a non conductive brush.

Sometimes finding these, when they are intermittent, can be very frustrating. Just take your time, be systematic, and you will find it.

Happy hunting!

Haha thx all ive learned in my years workin on my rig is patience and every curse word in the book lol. Appreciate the assistance

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so after another 4 hrs of tedious work it has come to the conclusion that the issue was coming from the trailer hitch wiring, license plate light harness, and aftermarket radio. I was able to come to this conclusion by removing all bulbs, and radio. Then turning on lights. If dash was on then i would add a bulb and check dash. If dash was out i know theres a prob. Had all lights out, still blowin fuse, so i started stripping all aftermarket harnesses from rear. Tow harness, and bed cap harness. Fuse was still blowing. So i rémoved the license plate bulb harness and viola. Tried to re-install my aftermarket radio, but it shorted out again and i said f it and just installed the factory one. Thank all of you for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts