Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
QUICK BIO: So Cal kid who grew up in the desert. The wife and I just bought a house in the Mountains (after living in Palm Springs!) and are quickly adapting to the revised lifestyle. I had my 3rd Nissan (2012 Pathy SV 4x4) which I've recently given my wife and bought an '05 Frontier SE 4x4 King Cab. I promptly named him Daniel Boone and ordered a leveling kit! During the process, through no fault of my own...::grin:: the project went South. I made it through only to realize that my 265/65/17 tires were no longer welcome. I WANT A RIG. This will be my attempt to pursue that goal, I will not be shy on admitting mistakes and small catastrophes along the way. Feel free to comment or point out anything I miss along the way, as I am a salesman with limited experience in mechanics and high hopes! Thanks for reading along this long if you have done so!

Username: 4thNissan'05
Year: 2005
Make: NISSAN
Model: FRONTIER
Trim: SE 4x4
Color: Pinstriped Black
Mods: So far just enough suspension to clear the new shoes (If tires are shoes, does that make the brake pads socks?)

Interior: Stock other than the 12V seat heater!

Exterior: I scratched the front fender with a flathead screwdriver because my friend wouldn't take his new Willy's offroading (scratches).

Drivetrain: STOCK :crying:

Suspension & Tires: Bilstein 5100s ([email protected]") all around, 3" coil spacer and 2.5" drop bracket in back. (Installed 2 weeks ago)
-Falken Wildpead AT3w's @ 285/70/17 (Just put those on yesterday)

Armor: STOCK :crying:

Performance: K&N drop in?

Gear and Other: 1 Jerry Can and a CB yet to be fitted

In Progress: SO MUCH!

FUTURE PLANS: First I need to heat/grind my front wheel wells to stop the rubbing that scares my wife.
-Off road ready/organized bed full of supplies
-Offroad bumpers front/rear (Imma try and build 'em myself)
-Temporary brake replacement, soon to be upgrade
-Alternator/Battery upgrade
-Definitely some front/rear lighting upgrades!
-Eventual Lockers & Titan swap... because go big or go home, right?
-ARMOR!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. -My wife wanted me to tell you all that her truck's name is Sgt. Gregory and he is named that due to the .22 rounds that were in the truck when we "adopted" him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you're off to a good start. I'd suggest replacing your step rails with rock sliders.

Have you taken your truck out to Big Bear?
Not yet, still figuring out the lay of the land. Any tips/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Looking forward to watching the build.
Words of warning. There are many great folks around here, knowledgeable folks that will give you advice and tempt you to spend lots and lots of money on Daniel Boone :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking forward to watching the build.
Words of warning. There are many great folks around here, knowledgeable folks that will give you advice and tempt you to spend lots and lots of money on Daniel Boone :)
GREAT advice bhowdy! I think the bug has already bitten me... I've read through yours and JeniorNV's builds twice now... I've even revised my monthly budget to allow more parts/camping!

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Not yet, still figuring out the lay of the land. Any tips/suggestions?
I've only been out to Big Bear once and it was almost 5 years ago: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/pics-big-bear-8-18-8-19-12-a-82570/

I enjoyed every trail that I did, with the exception of the first one (too much traffic). 2N02/3N03 and the Wild Horse Meadow Trail are good ones for an unarmored rig. Jacoby Canyon is possible too, but there is one section where you'd definitely want a good spotter if you attempt it without sliders.

Rattlesnake Canyon was on the agenda for my trip but because of flash flooding danger we decided to skip it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definitely be running these trails as soon as I can, thanks again Jenn!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You guys should arrange another Big Bear trip. That looks like fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That man makes a great point.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice looking truck! I have a real soft spot for the KC trucks. Can't wait to see Mr. Boone transform.

I dig the new Falken tires. They're a pretty new tread. I saw them on a work truck at an exhaust shop a few weeks ago. Looked rather nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you sir! I hope to build an overlander type similar to yours when I grow up (I'm thirty hahaha).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay everyone, this weekend I have hopes to do some hammer/heat gun work on the wheel weells. I might even get my inverter and maybe even my CB radio.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks like a great start.
I Love the title of this thread , I cant help but click on it when I see it. (Daniel Boone)
Hope all your weekend plans go smoothly.
Just a friendly reminder......JeniorNV kind of mentioned it in post #3 on this thread about the step rails / nerf bars.
If you are going to medium to medium hardcore offroad you will want to remove the step rails / nerf bars , as if you slide/bash your truck into the side of a rock or stump the step rails will break and push into the side of your truck causing more damage than if they where removed.
See JeniorNV's thread here:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/step-rails-nerf-bars-off-road-use-76583/

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a great start.
I Love the title of this thread , I cant help but click on it when I see it. (Daniel Boone)
Hope all your weekend plans go smoothly.
Just a friendly reminder......JeniorNV kind of mentioned it in post #3 on this thread about the step rails / nerf bars.
If you are going to medium to medium hardcore offroad you will want to remove the step rails / nerf bars , as if you slide/bash your truck into the side of a rock or stump the step rails will break and push into the side of your truck causing more damage than if they where removed.
See JeniorNV's thread here:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/step-rails-nerf-bars-off-road-use-76583/
Thank you! And yes, I have the sliders in the plans. I have a Joshua Tree trip this May so I am going to get it done before that. I (along with a buddy) will be building these out of a garage. We've never done this type of build before (since we made a go cart out of 2x4s 20 years ago) so it should be interesting! I also might take the nerf bars off this weekend and build them into my bar at home... I'm still deciding.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HAHAHA, I am building a bar in the bottom floor (basement type area) of my house next to the woodshop. The stools I am designing are kind of high, so I figured an old nerf bar or two could help in this situation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts