Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot how low the truck was when i drove it a while ago so i jumped in to head to the hardware store and realized at the store that i was bouncing off the E and the light was trying to get my attention.

Than it dawned on me how long the light had been on... Since the last time i had driven it and forgotten to stop for gas.

I made it to the gas station and it took 16.1 gallons.

But i got 14.6mpg in town

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
There's only one way to see how low the gauge will go.
Just don't be on the highway when you try that experiment.
I do wish there was a little chirp when it gets real low. My Lincoln has a chime at 50 miles-to-go and also 10 miles. Then no more. Seems like a no brainer to have audible alarms in every vehicle... because who looks at the fuel gauge ??

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha ha ha, I bet it does.

I don't like to get that low in the tank because I don't know what kind of sediment has built up in the tanks on older vehicles over the years and I hate changing fuel pumps, ha ha ha

but, I guess I had a ways to go because it never skipped a beat or misfired, luckily.

the wife is driving her to work now so the gas mileage will probably go down. two miles back and forth is going to start wearing on that little engine so I will have to make sure and drive it on the highway each weekend

·
Registered
240 Posts
You guys are hilarious. My typical fill-up is 19-19.5gal, it's a 21 gallon tank with about 20 usable. I've run all the way to work, back to my house, and then to the gas station with the fuel light on the whole time (my drive to work is 30-min each way).

I've run out of gas one time in the 105,000mi I owned the truck. I was towing a trailer with some furniture, I really was pushing it because I wanted to get to a specific gas station up the road from my house. I was watching that light glowing, and I knew I was going to cut it close because of the trailer. I made it one block from the gas station.

For future reference, the fuel light indicates about 50mi of usable travel remaining. This is standard on almost every car. My 2015 can reach the 'E', pass it, and go about 2mm below the line before I know I'm really in trouble.

I now have a secondary tank in the bed, that is just FANTASTIC, totaling 35gal. I made it from New Orleans to St. Pete without ever stopping for gas, and I still had 1/4 tank left.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and mine is a first gen so I don't know if the tanks are the same size. I know you get way better mileage with that 4.0 then I do with my little 3.3 though. that's the one thing that I wish was different about the first gens, I wish the engines had a bit more power

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that tank is not legal in some states, too. like here in texas I am pretty sure you cannot have a fuel tank bolted in to the bed of your truck unless you have farm plates or are in a business that requires you to fuel construction or some type of equipment. then the dps guys check those tanks every once in a while to make sure the diesel for some color. if its one color instead of whatever is supposed to be in it, the driver gets big ticket. something about yellow or red color.

but for gasoline, I am really really sure you cannot just have an extra tank bolted into the bed of the truck but, I am going to google to get a definite answer.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dude, I am glad you commented. googling shows that what I had always been told and for some reason believed seems to be incorrect. it looks like auxiliary tanks are legal but have ot meet very specific criteria.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I've had my '98 regular cab since 2004, and my 2004 King Cab since 2011; I believe those have fuel tanks of 15.8 or so gallons. I've never put more than 12 gallons in, but have never run out of gas either. I've never had a "low fuel" light come on, not even sure if these models have them (both XE, 4-cylinder, 5-speed). I do get a P0462 Low fuel sensor code on the 2004 though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmm, good points made. Here's what I can tell you about the law and my Titan Sidekick:
  • Florida statute 206.20 covers transporting fuel, particularly for tax purposes and carrying a bill-of-sale. It is exempt to tanks under 200-gal that are used to propel the vehicle and tanks under 5-gal which are used for emergency purposes. There is some gray area for my 15-gal tank, because it fits somewhere between being a primary tank and an emergency tank to propel my own vehicle. I also use it to fill my lawnmower. It's doubtful a cop or judge would charge me for illegally "smuggling" fuel.
  • Florida statute 316.80 covers container requirements during transport. Requiring containers over 8-gal to conform to CFR.49 regulations or DOT standards, it also requires that I didn't fraudulently purchase or steal the fuel.
  • I can't find the Florida statute, but I know it's best practice, if not lawful to ONLY fill a portable container on the ground....that is, unless the portable container is grounded to prevent static buildup. I would need more info.
Here's what I got:
  • Most truck-mounted containers are approved for non-flammable liquids, such as Diesel, Kerosene, and DEF (Diesel and Kerosene are combustible, not flammable).
  • My tank is 'designed' and sold to store flammable liquids, like gasoline, The website does claim it to meet CFR.49 regulations, but I should request and carry paperwork with me.
  • My tank is technically not bolted to the truck. The brackets simply hold the container in place, and the tank can be lifted out. It's possible this could be considered a portable container.
  • Portable containers must be filled on the ground due to possible static buildup when filling. This tank does have a grounding strap that prevents static buildup.
  • This is a 15-gal tank. Some DOT safety laws kick in at 25-gal and 100gal in regards to special containers or tanks.
Bottom line, I'm PROBABLY legally in the clear:
  • So long as I could prove that the container can be lifted out without any tools, it makes it a portable container.
  • So long as I could prove that the 8+ gallon container is CFR.49 approved to hold gasoline, it makes the container legal. (I will need to get that paperwork).
  • So long as I'm not transporting excess amounts of gas for purposes other than propelling my own vehicle, it doesn't make me a fraudster, thief, or tax-dodger.
  • So long as the container has a grounding strap, I should be able to fill it in-bed, but I would need a law to cite.
  • It is certainly not best practice because it is right on the tailgate and if I was rear-ended, it would probably dump 15-gal of fuel onto the highway. If I had a long-bed I would definitely put it on the other side of the wheel-well.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Not sure I see a grounding issue with that setup Ninety-9. Keep the pump hose in contact with the tank and you'll be fine. The pump hoses at gas stations are grounded.
I see a ground issue when Billy-Bob is holding a 5-gal can in mid air, and pumping it full, usually with a butt hanging out of his mouth, and the pump hose not always touching the can.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the only thing I could find is 49 cfr 939.67 where I would possibly have trouble here in texas. texas is very lax on auxiliary tanks on personal vehicles and most rules apply to commercial vehicles

(10) Air vent. Each fuel tank must be equipped with a nonspill air vent (such as a ball check). The air vent may be combined with the fill-pipe cap or safety vent, or it may be a separate unit installed on the fuel tank.

(11) Markings. If the body of a fuel tank is readily visible when the tank is installed on the vehicle, the tank must be plainly marked with its liquid capacity. The tank must also be plainly marked with a warning against filling it to more than 95 percent of its liquid capacity

and even these apply to side mounted or non-side mounted liquid tanks. there is really nothing specific to bed mounted tanks in non-commercial vehicles. I am going to keep searching because this has become a very interesting subject with the short range the first gen frontiers have on a tank of gas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not in a frontier, but once I was in my work vehicle at the time, a 2015 Chevy Equinox.... I was on E, had been on E and should of filled up miles ago... but where I was heading had a Krispy Kreme and a gas station next door to one another. I figured I would get donuts and coffee than get gas.... ran out of gas in the drive through, fortunately just after they handed me the donuts and coffee 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
58 Posts
For the first time ever I just saw my odometer roll 400km on a single tank.

I was (only) one needles width below E and racked up (an adjusted) 429km. I pumped in 62.3L. That's about 14.5L/100km.

For my neighbours/neighbors who are forced to live with the orange skinned comb over haired lunatic... that's 268 miles, 16.4 gallons, and about 16.5 mpg.

Definitely a record for me. Also, my speedo/odo run 6% low due to my 33in tires so I added 6% to make these calculations happen. I'm running a freshly rebuilt engine, a new to me tranny, and a few other new things like sensors, spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor, etc...... and I ride the old girl kind of gingerly these days because i'm scared that she will break down again 😅

Annnnnd as for that offside comment about you know who: for some reason I just couldn't resist. The news is definitely more interesting since he came on the scene... but how did we go from such a seemingly genuine person like Obama, to him?! It was strange when California had a celebrity Governor, but Arnold also seemed like a genuinely good guy to me so I thought it was OK. Anyway..... sorry for stirring the political pot. I have always wanted to live in the US but I would be hesitant about moving there with you know who running the show. I have much respect for all other American people, just not him. Please don't hate me for what I have said.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't believe you think obama was such a genuine person.

That's good mileage though

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was one cool dude. My brother met him at a baseball card convention and said he was super nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always enjoy the thrill of getting a new vehicle and running low for the first time. I generally refuel at just below 1/4 tank, but some times it happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts