Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question
Im in the uk and over here all navaras (thats what we call them) have rear brake drums as standard, discs aren't an option
Im sure that somewere i read that you guys do have an option for discs all round on your frontiers?
If this is true could someone please upload a high quality pic of these rear brakes as im thinking of retro fitting discs onto my navara
The reason im looking into it is i regularly tow heavy trailers and in yorkshire theres a lot of hills! and i meen a lot! and when coming to the bottom of a steep hill with a tonne in the back and another 3 on the trailer i often feel the brakes are only just keeping up with the weight
so figured discs would be a obvious upgrade

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Just a quick question
Im in the uk and over here all navaras (thats what we call them) have rear brake drums as standard, discs aren't an option
Im sure that somewere i read that you guys do have an option for discs all round on your frontiers?
If this is true could someone please upload a high quality pic of these rear brakes as im thinking of retro fitting discs onto my navara
The reason im looking into it is i regularly tow heavy trailers and in yorkshire theres a lot of hills! and i meen a lot! and when coming to the bottom of a steep hill with a tonne in the back and another 3 on the trailer i often feel the brakes are only just keeping up with the weight
so figured discs would be a obvious upgrade
Disks are good in light-med duty uses where high heat is generated and then needs to cool quickly. Drums are used in heavy applications. The biggest downside to drums is when they heat up and then take longer to lose that heat. They have a larger thermal mass too. Have you looked into heavy duty drum pads, if they're available? Even with disks, the best first option is to try new -aftermarket pads. drums also give better fuel economy as they're not constantly dragging on the brake surface like disks do...

Try replacing the front pads with some EBC pads for improved stopping also...

food for thought...
drum brakes

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Four wheel disks are standard on all models in the US. Off the top of my head you'll probably need all the obvious stuff but also the parking brake components. They use a mini drum brake on the inside of the rotor for the parking brake.

- Obvious Stuff (rotors, pads, calipers)
- Parking brake shoes, mech, cables
- Backing plates
- ABS rotors/sensors?

Source:

REAR BRAKES for 2007 Nissan Frontier
PARKING BRAKE for 2007 Nissan Frontier

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cheers I was thinking more on the line of getting a complete rear axle shiped over from a breaker!that way i know I'll have everything i'd need, provided all the suspension marrys up

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Apparently the newer Frontiers in USA have rear discs (my 2004 has rear drums).

I would like to ask if there are electric trailer brakes on that trailer? Mrs. Cusser tows a horse trailer (with 1 or 2 horses) with a 2005 Yukon, and the Yukon is fitted with an accessory brake controller which operates the electric brakes of the trailer. I think that might be a better option for better braking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Would 2004 be the D22?
The trailer has got a brake built into the hitch but its not very effective and i tow a caravan too that hasn't got a brake

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Would 2004 be the D22?
yes, D22 is 98-04 and D40 is 05-16 here in the US.

As for getting a whole axle assembly, that may be easier but I doubt the cost will be worthwhile once you factor shipping. Shipping an axle would need to be done freight and even just across the US can be a couple hundred. I can't imagine what it would be to ship to you in the UK. If cost is an issue you may be best off just getting more aggressive drum shoes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You might need to swap over the master cylinder and or booster/servo as well. Calipers need more fluid than wheel cylinders.

I might be able to get you some photos. I have 2 spare axles.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That's a C200k

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cheers looking at them it looks like the hub will bolt straight up to our axle casing
Looking at the handbrake cable and how it meets the hub is there a spacer there that lets the cable into the drum or does it pass through a hole somewere ?

One of the pic theres a rubber hose opposite the caliper
Where does that go? Is it a breather?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Cheers looking at them it looks like the hub will bolt straight up to our axle casing
Looking at the handbrake cable and how it meets the hub is there a spacer there that lets the cable into the drum or does it pass through a hole somewere ?

One of the pic theres a rubber hose opposite the caliper
Where does that go? Is it a breather?
I believe you're referring to the ABS sensor wire.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have never had the parking brake apart so I cannot tell you exactly how it goes together. It does look like a big piece of cast iron is bolted on where the cable meets the backing plate. Maybe reading though the factory service manual could help you out. Nissan Factory Service Manuals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts