Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 3.3 I replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. This seemed to fix the problem. Several months later it started again. I replaced the fuel filter to no avail. Next I determined the injector was not firing. I replaced the injector. This didnt fix the problem, at first. Shortly after the new injector it ran fine for a few weeks. After that the misfire would start and stop for no apparent reason. Now it has been misfiring for several days with no change. The injector is getting power. I was assuming it was a short in my wiring. I don't think that is the case. I am out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Original distributor? Best to replace with a Nissan part if determined you need to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the original distributer as far as I know. I have spark on the number two plug. The distributer must control the firing of the injector as well? Also a bad distributer can cause a single cylinder to misfire and not just a random misfire? How do I determine that my distributer is bad? Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Not sure how to test it...just seeing this as a logical possibility in this equation/scenario.
Hopefully CF Member 'smj999smj' will chime in on this one.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
It can be bench tested, now to see if you can find a local place to do so. If it sends power to a specific cylinder on every revolution, sure it can happpen consistently to just one location.
Do a search here or a google search, you’ll see more than a few owners have had to replace theirs.

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
First off, how do you know that it is #2 that is missing. Codes or balance test.

Next what does your spark plug look like.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
It could also be an intake gasket leak. It occurs on the 3.3L once in a blue moon. If you are getting consistent spark to the misfiring cylinder, I would doubt that it's the distributor. Usually a bad distributor will fail with misfires to all cylinders or fail completely and there will be no spark to any. The new injector could have failed. Could always be a mechanical issue as well, so compression test/cylinder leakdown test wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Code reader says cylinder 2 missfire. I also have a stethoscope and can hear when the injector is not firing. The plug was I little black but not more than the others.
The intake leak idea makes sense to me. I replaced the knock sensor a few years back. I got parts from the dealer and followed the torque specifications, I even went almost a quarter turn over, it didn't seem like enough. I also have a small coolant leak I can't find. That could explain that too. I know the injector isn't firing, could a gasket or compression problem cause that?
$285 for the distributer minus $75 core. I'm going to wait on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts