Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I have to thank ja0540 for this excellent write-up on how he achieved his similar mod. This is my "over-the-bed-roof-rack" that I put together with some unistrut, bolts, and a few channel nuts.

I considered a roof rack for a while but the cost seemed too great and I considered ways of using a Thule or Yakima "base" rack mounted to the bed rails or possibly the utilitrack, but this route seemed the most cost effective and versatile.

As you can see, I decided to use the tie-down cleats as anchor points as opposed to mounting the l-brackets directly to the utilitrack. This way it's a little more adjustable and can be moved out of the way in case I want to carry something large in the bed.

All said and done the parts cost me about $40, not counting the actual snowboard holders, which I got used from craigslist. As you can see I have two of my fork mounts on one of the rails and I hope to be able to carry at least 4 bikes above the bed come summer (with the snowboard holders removed, of course).

-Al

·
Registered
35 Posts
ive been racking my brain tryin to come up with a solution like this. i need a shelf but this setup will work well. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the compliment nau56din, I'm glad I could help. Your set up looks good and if you are anything like me you will get plenty of good use out of it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Investment

Nice. I did something akin to that back here:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/crossbars-bed-9085/index2.html#post147462

Figured I could mount board holders or a basket sometime...
Ended up taking it off, mainly because my parking garage at work kept me from employing it for the bikes. Sold it for more than I put into it.
I definitely saw myself being able to sell it for more than it actually cost me to make, taking into consideration the time, energy, measuring, etc. the buyer would be saving. So far I've gotten plenty of use out of it and don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

-Al

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Looks really good man, nice job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts