Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does it look? About 4 hours total work. :( I went slow.
The middle piece might look a little lighter because, my retarded self, I mixed up the left and right pieces so the mesh on the left and right pieces is upside down. I don't really mind it because it's symmetrical and goes with the lines on the hood.

Black Grille Mesh from here (I chose the mini-mesh so it's not see-through, but you'd be fine with the normal mesh, too.):
Universal Aluminum Diamond Mini Mesh Grille
Plenty enough for the whole upper grille.

Have any questions? Just let me know.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks cool, have any close ups?
Not at the moment, I'll take some next time its outside, probably tomorrow, right now its sitting in the garage nice and clean :D haha

It looks good, i like the darker shade on the outside, how is it secured?
Thanks, glad you like it, I was afraid it looked dumb, but I liked it too.
I cut the sheet of mesh to pieces that outline the 3 sections of the grille - leaving about 1/2" around the entire edge of opening to bend it to the back of the grille (in between the chrome and the back plastic). So, it's secured by the edges being bent to fit around the opening and also I cut peices the mesh so it fits and slides over the tabs that are already part of the chrome piece to hold it in place. It doesn't move at all.
The thing that took me the longest was cutting the stock honeycomb out - just because I'm not very experienced with a jigsaw.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Look good. Now paint the chrome part the same color as the truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
dude i love it especially at the price. think i might try this but i kinda wanna keep the nissan emblem. i imagine it would take forever but it would work. thanks for the find i love how the holes are so small

·
Registered
160 Posts
that's nice and clean.. makes me want to take the time out and do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
nice man, glad it worked out for ya. looks good, im diggin the black, im still torn on weather to paint mine black or not lol. did you have enough mesh to do the bottom too? wish i would have looked online for my mesh, i payed $47 at pepboys and they only had the silver.

heres mine if anybody wants to see how its done, you can see a more with the silver. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/diy-mesh-grill-super-easy-58805/

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
dude i love it especially at the price. think i might try this but i kinda wanna keep the nissan emblem. i imagine it would take forever but it would work. thanks for the find i love how the holes are so small
Thanks man, yeah I got lucky to find that site haha, all went well with them. Shipping took a few days longer than expected, but thats USPS's fault.
With mesh with small holes like mine, you'd probably have to find a way to superglue or tape the emblem there somehow.

that's nice and clean.. makes me want to take the time out and do it.
Thanks 4x4, yeah it's definitely worth it, makes the truck look meaner and just better overall. Probably could be a 2 hour job, I went slow because that's just how I work, I have to make sure things will work out right.

nice man, glad it worked out for ya. looks good, im diggin the black, im still torn on weather to paint mine black or not lol. did you have enough mesh to do the bottom too? wish i would have looked online for my mesh, i payed $47 at pepboys and they only had the silver.
Yeah man thanks for the help! I'm not sure which would look better on your truck, because the silver goes good with the white, therefore making it so it's not too much chrome. Black does make it look mean, though. And nope, only enough for the top :( it was 48" x 12"

·
Registered
250 Posts
glad to help

With mesh with small holes like mine, you'd probably have to find a way to superglue or tape the emblem there somehow.
there are tabs on the emblem, you could just drill small holes in the tabs, and cut slits in the mesh and push the tabs through, then use the holes to tie tabs together with some safety wire or something that wont rust. if you glue it, it will fall off sooner or later.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are tabs on the emblem, you could just drill small holes in the tabs, and cut slits in the mesh and push the tabs through, then use the holes to tie tabs together with some safety wire or something that wont rust. if you glue it, it will fall off sooner or later.
hmm true, i didnt think of this, good idea

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good on the blue. I might have to do this down the road.
thanks man, only takes a day to do and would look sick with your setup, definitely with your charcoal rims, I want to do mine like that too haha.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Damit i just ordered mine off carid, but looks like that one fits much nicer. How easy/hard is the install? what did you use to hold the mesh in place?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts