Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I need a little help. I got a set of custom wheels on the way they are KMC XD222 desert beadlock wheels 17x8.5 with a 4.75" backspacing and they are 6 on 4.5 special order. Now my truck has a set of Icon Coilovers in the front maxed out is 3" lift and in the back I have a 2" deaver with a PRG adjustable shackle so it is set to match the front a 3" and I have Fox 2.0 resivour shocks in the rear. Now I have a shrock front bumper on the way and sliders. My truck is a 09 Pro4x in your opinion should I order a set of 33" tires or go for a 2" body lift and get 35" tires? How much more will i have to trim with a 35" cause that would only be 5" total lift. 4x4 sells the 2" body lift and I heard its easy to install but I am worried the truck would look wierd with the body lift.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The wheels look like this

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
FYI you'll need to keep your stock wheels for inspection in NY as bead locks are not street legal and you really don't want to run them on the street at speed anyway (cant balance them)

with out front gear options yet stay with 33s

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a way to balance them and a way around the inspection I am just worried about tire clearance. Gears I can take care of later I am gonna install a M205 front DIff but I would rather run a 35" tire but I am worried about destroying the fenders I was looking for a bushwacker cutout flare but they don't have them for my year yet

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I have those same wheels in my garage. There is a very good chance that you will be running wheel spacers, they don't' come anywhere near close to clearing the calipers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really what year is your truck and who did you get the wheels from?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I have test fit the wheels on everything from an 05'-09'; 2wd & 4wd...I needed a minimum of 1/4" of clearance after trimming my calipers. There may be some good news though if KMC has redesigned the back of their wheel; I know last year they broke their mold for this wheel and had to build a new one...There is a slight chance that the mold had been redesigned and you won't have any issues.

My wheels came directly off of a KMC sponsored truck and is the only set KMC has made in our lug pattern. The wheels were built originally for a 2005 4wd Nismo, specifically for the SEMA show. When I bought the wheels I was told that the truck was taken to KMC bone stock. After a very long drawn out process I determined that the truck ran 2" wheel spacers and KMC never fit the wheels on the stock hubs. They take a wheel designed for a 5x5.5 lug pattern and drill it out for a small 6x4.5. The large bulky caliper that our truck uses is the major problem; that paired with a small 6 lug pattern just compounds clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Let Us Know When You Get Them On Fit

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the guy again and he is swareing to me that they will fit so I hope you are correct about them striking a new mold. He also told me he would send me cut section drawing on the details of the wheel so I will post it up when he sends it to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you think of switching to the AP big brakes ? the caliper is shallower than our stock ones. You may be able to pick up enough clearance to fit your wheel but You would have to use there fitment cutout to make sure it will clear the diameter of the wheel

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you were right I had the guy double check about clearing the calipers cause the saleman said they would but it turns out they won't so he is refunding me my money but do you know of any other beed lock wheels or any othe wheel with like a 4.5 4.75" backspacing light those?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
you mean the $1700 brake kit? Seems to me it would be cheaper to get the wheels put on a lath and cut to clear the calipers. I have seen that done for an Xterra to get some Procomp wheels to fit before they recast them.

Well you were right I had the guy double check about clearing the calipers cause the saleman said they would but it turns out they won't so he is refunding me my money but do you know of any other beed lock wheels or any othe wheel with like a 4.5 4.75" backspacing light those?
I'm changing my bolt pattern to match the titans and I'm goign to try and get these to fit. They are blanks and will drill them to any bolt pattern
BTR Racing Wheels :: Off-Road Racing, Aluminum Beadlock Wheels

also there are frontiers with Walker Evens that will drill there blanks to fit. Walker Evans Racing

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I was really hoping I was wrong, they are definitely nice wheels. IT's just a matter of figuring our the right backspacing to work with the wheel design.

Do you have the rep's name and number you spoke with? I have a few contacts there and I can try to set up a time to stop by their shop and let them test fit some wheels on my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
you mean the $1700 brake kit? Seems to me it would be cheaper to get the wheels put on a lath and cut to clear the calipers. I have seen that done for an Xterra to get some Procomp wheels to fit before they recast them.
There is not enough material on the KMC's to have them turned down to fit. That is how my wheel snapped in half, remember this...

They did look good when I had them on though...

Here are the Walker Evans mustard was referring to. Unfortunately you will have to trim your front calipers a few mm for them to clear, but it's nothing 10 minutes with an angle grinder can't fix.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
well after much looking and measuring of wheels. and either not having what I like, or what will fit. I talked to Bones at OMF today and my Nismo wheels are being sent to them next week for modification. Ordered 5 BFG KM2's also. There went my money for a larger whipple blower :)

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
well after much looking and measuring of wheels. and either not having what I like, or what will fit. I talked to Bones at OMF today and my Nismo wheels are being sent to them next week for modification. Ordered 5 BFG KM2's also. There went my money for a larger whipple blower :)
How exactly are they modifying your OEM nismo's?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
They will convert any wheel to beadlock or street locks for a nominal fee. The OEM wheels will look really nice beadlock'd..what style and color rings are you going with Brutal?
I knew they could do steel wheels but I didn't know they could do that for aluminum ones.

I guess I will just have to wait for pics to see how it was all done.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
They will convert any wheel to beadlock or street locks for a nominal fee. The OEM wheels will look really nice beadlock'd..what style and color rings are you going with Brutal?
what Ive wanted to do ever since I painted the wheels black 3 yrs ago. black with red phase 5 rings and black rock domes. and ordered 305/70/16 KM2's theyre the same height as a 285/75/16 but .9" wider. If I have issues Ill section the frame, but I will only have issues off road, not on the street

1 - 20 of 31 Posts