Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
****UPDATE**** More pictures in post 79***UPDATE***

Hey Guys,

I figured I would share with you guys one of the projects im working on at my shop.

I actually own a 10,000sqft Corvette, Viper, Mustang performance products manufacturing comany, and full service performance shop in sunny LV, NV.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my customers asked if I could build him a one off, single turbo for his 2008 4.0L V6 Frontier. Being that we specialize in forced induction, AND i am always up for a challenge, I said sure, what the hell.. In all honesty, I have never in my life even sat in a Frontier before he dropped it off..

Its pretty simple really. We just went for ultra reliable, about 5-7psi, and it HAD to be gravity fed. Scavenge systems are junk, and they are nowhere near as reliable (gravity fed means the oil drains back into the pan, and uses the vehicles factory oil pressure to feed it.)

So this system consists of a single T3/T4 hybrid turbo, with a 57mm compressor. We went with 2 1/2" throughout. We also built him a custom exhaust that dumps right in front of the passenger side rear wheel, so it should sound like an F16 when it spools... We also ceramic coated everything, and wrapped the entire hot side with header wrap.

Hope you enjoy the pics. If you have questions, let me know. Its my understanding were among the first to ever do this to a frontier. I hope it doesnt disappoint you guys..

Were about 99% done, so when its all wrapped up this week, we will tune it, and post up the results.

Oh, one last important thing. With the exception of the exhaust, we did not have to cut, splice, or hack up ANYTHING. It is 100% reversible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont have before numbers. It got torn down before I thought about getting a baseline. But being that it is bone stock, its safe to assume were within 20rwhp of other baseline Frontiers.

We will have many "after" dyno runs and video though

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
what are you guys doing as far as computer wise? something thats on the market or something from scratch?
any trans upgrades to go with it?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I<3 it....btw is the truck a 6sp or automatic?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This is defiently interesting. I am also wondering about the tuning and any trans updated that have been done.

Is that the OEM manifold, just flipped with a new pipe welded on?

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is the out the door cost for this upgrade? I am interested in going this direction if the numbers are worth the cost.

·
Registered
660 Posts
ooooo i like it. very tempting indeed. well i know what i will want after i work on my suspension

·
Registered
314 Posts
OH MY GOD! you sir have answered my prayers! for some time i have always thought about how i would do a turbo swap. i cannot wait to see what the results come out to. are there any other mods(ie new crank, pistons,cams) that were previously and/or are going to be replaced?

overall man, i am impressed and like i said very excited to see the results!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sorry, I forgot to mention a few other things in the initial post.

The truck we started with, is a AWD Crew Cab. It has the 4.0L V6, with Auto..

For this kit, being that we were only going for 5-10psi max, we utilized the stock maniifold. We flipped it around, and merged it with the passenger manifold. With the overall flow of this motor, they will work just fine. We run 1 5/8" manifoolds on 1000-1200rwhp TT builds, so i'm sure these will be just fine. The good thing is, is we have a TON of room. We can easily increase the capacity of this design. If we had a built motor, and made a few design changes (ie: larger hot side piping), we could easily makke 600-700rwhp out of this design.

The customer has no desire to go larger, so it will stay a nice and reliable at low boost.

We aren't sure exactly what were doing for tuning. Honestly, im not entirely familiar with this trucks PCM, so before I tweak it, im going to do some investigating. I tune all of the vehicles we build, soo I have many thousands of runs (we have a Dynojet dyno), and hundreds of 600-1000rwhp cars under my belt, so im not tooo concerned. I just gotta get my readin on.. Hence the reason I signed up to this board.

·
Registered
660 Posts
uprev is really good on the tuning side. they allow the max possible. not sure if you want to work with them but it would help you figure out the inner workings. also what do u mean by AWD? It would be sick to make these truck hit 600-700hp i would love to achieve that. too bad i am not near by to lend my truck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very nice. Just what I am looking for. can't wait to see the numbers!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
hell yeah man, can't wait to see the finished product. I'm a fan of boosted sleepers, a buddy of mine has a 500 fwhp 96' neon that runs 11s @ the track. Its fun to roll around in and watch peoples faces when ya blow their doors off. Anyway this project will come out awesome.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hope you plan to put a heat shield around that turbo. Nissan engine bays get hotter than any other brand, and putting a turbo there will not help with that at all.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts