Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and only found some guys that had their seats re-skinned. That's not quite what I'm looking for.

I don't have a problem with my cloth seats until it's time to take a long trip....and after a few hours they become uncomfortable. My other gripe is that they have ZERO lateral support.

Anyone know of a good company that makes custom seats? A friend of mine had customs put in his Silverado, and they were WAY comfy. I want better comfort and lateral support - and getting rid of that mesh wouldn't hurt my feelings either. Not a big fan of leather, but it would depend on what's available.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i have recaros in the SHO...absolutely wonderful seats, there are a lot of good seat companies out there, but they cost $$$$$

·
Registered
23 Posts
have you thought of wet okole....... they make seat covers out of the same stuff wet suits are. i just got a set for my truck and they are very comfy...... they also have a option that you can add lateral supports....... plus they fit really good on the seat....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
sweet...thank you soooooo much, you have no idea what kinda help that is...

·
Registered
187 Posts
cappie said:
have you thought of wet okole....... they make seat covers out of the same stuff wet suits are. i just got a set for my truck and they are very comfy...... they also have a option that you can add lateral supports....... plus they fit really good on the seat....

Where'd u get them from?....and could you maybe post a pic?...thanks....

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I didn't even realize that Recaro still made seats. I had some in one of my British sportscars many moons ago. They were very nice.

I also put some seats out of a BMW in my 1977 Datsun KC
5 speed pick up. I am trying to remember the name of the racer who drove for BMW back in those days.We were having a big SCCA program and I was elected to pick him up at the airport.

He was only in my truck for a few minutes when he commented on the BMW seats. He was duely
impressed. Many of you would recognize his name if only I could remember it.

Look at seats out of other cars/trucks and you might be able to get a good seat much more cheaply.

It was David Hobbs. I can't believe I forgot it or that I could recall it once I forgot it. Will wonders never cease?

OkieScot

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
i know it sounds crazy, but i think the taco seat material and the fronty seat material are very very similar and they have a more pronounced bolsters. ofcourse some minor fab is required and you will be sitting atleast an inch closer to the floor......

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,145 Posts
I take it the non-Nismo's dont have the lumbar knob thing on the side of the seats then? Maybe you'd find the nismo seats more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Lumbar support came on the Nismo and LE models in '05.

OkieScot

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looked for the least-wild looking racing seats I could find that didn't cost a fortune and ordered last night. They look comfy and supportive, but will probably be a pain to mount.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'd question the quality of the APC brand. I've just never had luck with thier stuff. You could usually get Sparco seats at wholesale prices on eBay.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at every racing seat on Ebay (where I got these APCs) and couldn't find anything that didn't look like a rodeo clown designed them. Those designs would probably look fine is some autocross / show car, but trying to picture them in my truck was a different story. These were the most sedate looking seats I could find other than a $640 (plus shipping) set of Corbeaus, which was a budget blower for me. These only cost $200 brand new including shipping, so I struck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lumbar support is only on the driver side. I bought the Neopreme black/gray seat covers. They look awesome, fit like a glove, and are 100% beer-proof, But I am not sure they make the seat any more comfortable. Has anyone tried to change out only the passenger side seat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some disappointing news for anyone planning to put custom seats in the Frontier. I took out my driver's seat today in anticipation of using the bracket / slider on the new seat. Nothing doing. The slider, bracket...everything...is welded and riveted to the seat unit. You'd have to take a blow torch to the OEM seat to re-use the bracket on a new seat. Not an option.
The only other route to take is have custom brackets fabricated and riveted to the sliders that came with the new seats - or buy a set of Nismo Frontier seats and hope they're what I'm looking for in the way of comfort and support.

Having said that, the APC seats are up for sale after a week of sitting in my living room.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts