Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of things with my cruise. First, the SET light flashes when I first start the truck, but only very occasionally. I've put several thousand miles on the truck, and I think it's happened 3 times. I know that's a cruise fault of some kind, but each time, I've turned the truck off, started it back up, and it works fine again. Once it was several days apart. Other than that, it's been weeks or months between occurrences. Was just wondering if anybody else has had this issue or knows what might be a possible cause/solution.

Second, the way the cruise behaves when it is working normally seems a little off to me. I've driven lots of cars with cruise over the years, from a '93 up to a '16, of different makes (Mazda, Honda, Chevy, Toyota, Ram, and now Nissan, obv.), and I've never noticed any of them behaving like this. It seems to work perfectly on flat ground, but if you come to an incline (sometimes even a fairly gentle incline) it will kick down into the next lowest gear.--And this part is key: when it levels back out, it continues to run in that lower gear unnecessarily. But if I tap the res/accel or the coast/set button, it will upshift and run as expected. Coast/set makes sense to me. You're saying "hey, back off a little." But accel? Call for a slight increase in speed, and it upshifts? This doesn't make sense to me, and I was wondering if they all do it, or if mine is uniquely jeffed up in some way, or if there is a way to adjust/correct this behavior. I appreciate any input you've got.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine will downshift on incline if needed but will shift back as soon as it can. I dont have any other solution than check any connections for humidity and/or corrosion. It may not even be there. It is just the first thing I do with electrical gremlins

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think that's it because it happens very consistently. It never behaves in any other way. Freezing cold 20° days, extremely humid 90° days, arid 100° days, always the same. It seems like it almost has to be an adjustment that can be made somewhere, but I can't find really any information on if/how you can adjust the cruise system once it's installed. Anybody have any knowledge of these systems?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wouldn't think that's it because it happens very consistently. It never behaves in any other way. Freezing cold 20° days, extremely humid 90° days, arid 100° days, always the same. It seems like it almost has to be an adjustment that can be made somewhere, but I can't find really any information on if/how you can adjust the cruise system once it's installed. Anybody have any knowledge of these systems?
Have you check the factory service manuals on NicoClub?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wassa nico club?
Google "Nico Club Manuals". You can get the Factory Service Manual "FSM" for just about any Nissan. It's an invaluable tool. That manual has saved my behind a few times. Especially when it comes to wiring schematics. Haynes and Chilton compared to the FSM is ???

Not To Mention They're FREE and Downloadable

·
Registered
333 Posts
Google "Nico Club Manuals". You can get the Factory Service Manual "FSM" for just about any Nissan. It's an invaluable tool. That manual has saved my behind a few times. Especially when it comes to wiring schematics. Haynes and Chilton compared to the FSM is ???

Not To Mention They're FREE and Downloadable
And that they updated their site and it is now easier to search

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good above. Thanks. Got the cruise system manual, 24 pages. Don't know when I'll have time to go through it. Still got a harmonic balancer on its way to me, and that's the priority when it delivers. But I will update when I have... an update.

In the mean time, anybody with any experience with this issue, please feel free to share it.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Reactions: GrandPirateDave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?You've unlocked an achievement!

Thread Hijacker
Hijack a help thread and post lame, played-out Facebook jokes.

? You did it! ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I'd update this. Noticed both throttle cables had a little slack. Tightened the both up just enough to take out the slack, and the cruise works much better than before. No longer has the issue of gearing down to speed up and just staying in the lower gear once acceleration is no longer needed. Works like it should now. Just a minor annoyance, but it's nice to get it figured out.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,021 Posts
i noticed on my truck that the throttle cable has a bunch of play in it. I took it out to what seems normal but I never had a cruise issue like you do. mine was the normal cruise control issue where the stop has fallen out so the switch had nothing to push against at the pedal arm. its been taken care of but luckily, mine never had shift issues on cruise.

glad you got yours fixed. I know I have to have cruise control on vehicles. if its not on the vehicle when I purchase it, I add it very quickly afterwards.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other (very occasional) issue where the cruise light flashes on startup and won't allow you to set it (but goes back to normal after a quick restart)... hasn't happened for months. Not since it was cold out. I'm just going to deal with it until it craps out, then replace whatever I need to, I guess.--Assuming it ever does. Not too big a problem. Was just curious initially if there was a fix. Really just the smallest annoyance, and only very seldom does it even happen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The other (very occasional) issue where the cruise light flashes on startup and won't allow you to set it (but goes back to normal after a quick restart)... hasn't happened for months. Not since it was cold out. I'm just going to deal with it until it craps out, then replace whatever I need to, I guess.--Assuming it ever does. Not too big a problem. Was just curious initially if there was a fix. Really just the smallest annoyance, and only very seldom does it even happen.

When I turn on my headlights "set" flashes on the dash whether cruise control is on or off. If my headlights are off, set no longer flashes and I can turn cruise control on and set it.

My airbag light also flashes. If I recall correctly my spiral cable / clock spring is busted. I was looking for one a couple years ago but gave up because they're hard to find for cheap and kind of hard to find in general.

(I recall my clock spring ribbon being separated from one end or ripped somewhere in the middle... But if the ribbon got ripped then I would expect cruise would never work...so I don't know what condition it's in)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it could be that my clock spring is starting to fail, and this is an early indicator of that, maybe? Not a problem till it's a problem though, I guess.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,565 Posts
I was looking for one a couple years ago but gave up because they're hard to find for cheap and kind of hard to find in general.
Have you checked any JY Xterras for the clock spring / spiral cable?

My 04 doesn't have cruise control but I pulled a clock spring from a JY Xterra that has cruise and I wired it up to use the cruise switch to mute my radar detector.

JY Xterras are plentiful here in San Antonio.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't even know if it is the clock spring for sure, and it's not causing any issues at present. Hasn't for several months now. If it acts up down the road, I'll look into it, but for now, as they say, if it ain't broke...

I might just look into pricing and availability in case it ever becomes necessary to get one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts