Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cruise Control (FIXED) gear positioning sensor

Hey guys. I own a 2005 frontier nismo with 180k miles. About a year ago my CC started acting up. Would cut off randomly and come back on. Then it started taking a couple minutes for the CC to work (I drive all highway). Then it would take about a half hour. Then it started almost never working except when it wanted. Now I don't think Ive been able to get it to to work the last couple months. CC light will come on but no set. Ive checked and all my plugs on my brake and clutch pedals are still on there. Any words of advice?

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
ALL taillight functions working properly?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I was unable to find it, but there is a post on forum about a gear select switch of some sort that can cause problems like yours on manual transmission cruise control frontiers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All tail lights work properly. Its like I said, it just gradually died over time. I drive roughly 1,000 miles a week all highway and it would be nice to have this back up and running.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
IIRC: when tail lights fail somehow, Nissan built in some kind of fail/safe that thwarts CC function to alert driver.
Good luck troubleshooting!

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
If there is a short to brake light ckt it will disable cruise control (it thinks you applied brakes) many times this happens only when lights are on shorting from running lights to brake lights via dual filament bulb or bad wiring. The post I was looking for talked about manual transmission cars when gear selector was not held fully in 6th gear it would not let cruise work properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to try CC in 5th this evening on the way home and see what it does. From trying it over the past couple months I don't think it has been but I will verify that this evening. The only thing I can think of is I have a license plate bulb out (I'm not sure how long it has been out) but I don't understand how it would cause it to gradually stop working. Its like I said, at first it would cut off once a week, then daily, then it work when it wanted and now it doesn't at all. Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it! Any other advice??

·
Registered
894 Posts
OP. It seems that you have a 6 speed manual transmission. (I have 2005 Nismo KC as well). There are two switches one above the brake pedal and one above the clutch pedal. The brake pedal switch has two functions. It activates the brake lights as well as disconnect the CC when you apply the brakes. Over time these either go bad or need adjustments. Also there is a rubberized plastic tab on both pedals that wear out and does not depress the brake switch or the clutch. I had mine replaced on the clutch because the truck would not start while the clutch pedal was depressed. Please check for these two switches and then report back to us to see if that solves the problems. My guess is its the brake switch on the pedal, because you are able to start the truck while the clutch is depressed.

Both these switches are bolted in and can be adjusted to move forward or backwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So coming home I has to slow down and drop it to fifth gear. The CC came on! It wasn't long before I started speeding back up and it would not come on after that. Sounds like that "gear select switch" issue. Does anyone have any more information about this issue??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So to keep everyone updated, I found the issue. It ended up being a gear positioning sensor. I would have the truck is 6th gear and pull thee shift knob towards my knee and boom, CC would work. For a while I had my shotgun propped up from the passenger side floorboard onto the shift to hold it in place until I had time to replace it. I ordered the part from rockauto for $22. Its on the passenger side of the transmission and you need a crow foot wrench to get it out. Pretty straight forward fix and didn't have anything to do with the tail lights or buttons on brake pedal! Hope someone else finds this useful.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Glad that you figured it out and the fix is reasonable. I like it when the problems are resolved in this manner. Thank You.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"for a while I had my shotgun propped up from the passenger side floorboard onto the shift to hold it in place until I had time to replace it"

Oh my what the hell lol. Okay that might also be my issue thanks for the update. Glad you didn't shoot yourself also!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts