Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched and found many threads here on CF about this same issue, but not many resolutions so I am asking again with a little more info.

About a month ago my cruise control started cancelling itself very rarely. Over time it got more and more frequent. Now it won't let me SET the speed at all. The CRUISE light will come on like normal when I activate it. The truck is an 2007 V6 Automatic CC Long Bed 4X4.

So far (based on other topics about this on CF) I have done the following:
- Checked that the switches on the brake pedal are being engaged when the brake pedal returns. They both seem to be fine, and the brake pedal is returning to the full position every time. Even when driving, if I pull up on the brake pedal it does not let me set the cruise control.
- I check all of the fuses inside the cab and they are all fine.
- All of my brake lights are working, as well as my reverse lights. I haven't checked the license plate lights yet, but I doubt that could be it as they are brand new LED bulbs.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I drive a lot of highway everyday and cruise control is a valuable asset to both drive comfort, and fuel economy.

HELP!

It's worth mentioning that I had to install a new shift cable linkage collet in the cab because the shifting cable broke off of the gear selector.

HOWEVER, the Cruise Control was cancelling itself before the replacement. I don't know if there could be some other sensor down there that's not letting me set the cruise control.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would check the pedal switch with an ohm meter just to be sure.

Isn't there also a switch on the shifter arm?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I don't know

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is the cancellation logic from the workshop manual. My opinion is you have a hard fail of something here that will in turn affect the set function.

CANCEL OPERATION
When any of following conditions exist, cruise operation will be canceled.

• CANCEL switch is pressed
• More than 2 switches on ASCD steering switch are pressed at the same time (Set speed will be cleared)
• Brake pedal is depressed
• Clutch pedal is depressed or gear position is changed to the neutral position (M/T models)
• Selector lever position is changed to N, P or R (A/T models)
• Vehicle speed decreased to 13 km/h (8 MPH) lower than the set speed
• VDC system is operated

When the ECM detects any of the following conditions, the ECM will cancel the cruise operation and inform
the driver by blinking indicator lamp.

• Engine coolant temperature is slightly higher than the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp may
blink slowly.

When the engine coolant temperature decreases to the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp will
stop blinking and the cruise operation will be able to work by depressing SET/COAST switch or RESUME/
ACCELERATE switch.

• Malfunction for some self-diagnoses regarding ASCD control: SET lamp will blink quickly

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the cancellation logic from the workshop manual. My opinion is you have a hard fail of something here that will in turn affect the set function.
I've seen that. None of which apply to my current situation.

This is killing me!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Does your 2007 use the famous little plastic/rubber "stop pad" that actuate the brake switches ??? Because those can get brittle and break and fall off, then the "pin" on the switch never gets pressed in when the brake pedal is "up". Yours should have two separate switches for your brake pedal, one for brake lights and one for the cruise control (they look similar but operate in opposite way). So look at those first; I found easiest fix was to JB Weld a dime over the hole to press in the switch "pin" (you could use a penny to save 9 cents though).

Within the last year the plastic/rubber clutch "stop pad" on both my '98 Frontier brake pedal broke off (lights always stayed on) and both brake "stop pads" on my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder both broke (so she also had no cruise control, as well as the brake lights staying on from the second switch not actuating).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your 2007 use the famous little plastic/rubber "stop pad" that actuate the brake switches ??? Because those can get brittle and break and fall off, then the "pin" on the switch never gets pressed in when the brake pedal is "up". Yours should have two separate switches for your brake pedal, one for brake lights and one for the cruise control (they look similar but operate in opposite way). So look at those first; I found easiest fix was to JB Weld a dime over the hole to press in the switch "pin" (you could use a penny to save 9 cents though).

Within the last year the plastic/rubber clutch "stop pad" on both my '98 Frontier brake pedal broke off (lights always stayed on) and both brake "stop pads" on my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder both broke (so she also had no cruise control, as well as the brake lights staying on from the second switch not actuating).
I will double check those. They seemed to be getting depressed when the pedal was fully returned, but then again idk how MUCH they are supposed to be depressed. It's definitely worth a shot. I'll take something to the pedal and see if that solves it, then I'll go the permanent route.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar occurrence with a '04 Sorento years ago. It turns out I had stamped on the brake pedal so hard that I bent the pins on the switch that they were permanently "shorted" and didn't allow the cruise control to engage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I put some magnets I had laying around on the brake pedal to ensure the switch was being depressed all the way and the cruise still did not engage. I might see if the 2 switches use the same plug and swap them temporarily. At leas then if my brake lights function then I know the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting development. This morning I decided to try and set the cruise control while pressing the brake pedal slightly. IT WORKED. Even after I dropped off my daughter, and had to turn the truck on again it let me set the cruise. However this only lasted about 5 minutes before it wouldn't let me set it again, even when trying to set it while pressing the brake pedal again.

Not sure what this could mean though :|

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Shot in the dark: might any of your LED bulbs be a/the monkey wrench?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shot in the dark: might any of your LED bulbs be a/the monkey wrench?
The only LED bulbs I have are the map lights in the cab, license plate lights, and reverse lights. All of which work fine when they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Stuck in my craw that even a small rear lighting malfunction will trip the cruise control.
Every so often I'll find myself near a reflective glass storefront and will then go through all my lights checking for function. Will then back in and do the same.
~ A wise practice for those who imbibe/drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stuck in my craw that even a small rear lighting malfunction will trip the cruise control.
Every so often I'll find myself near a reflective glass storefront and will then go through all my lights checking for function. Will then back in and do the same.
~ A wise practice for those who imbibe/drive.
I back into my parking spot at work every morning at work in front of a window. They all work fine, the only question I had was do the cargo lights illuminate when in reverse? They turn on when I flip the switch, but not when I put the truck into reverse (although I don't think they are supposed to)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Could be an intermittent/bad switch, since you say it worked for a few seconds.

No, you cannot swap the switches (would guess their harness/socket is different) as the two switches work in opposite way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could be an intermittent/bad switch, since you say it worked for a few seconds.

No, you cannot swap the switches (would guess their harness/socket is different) as the two switches work in opposite way.
Ah, I guess it's time to find and order a new switch!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: It seems to be working more now that it is colder out, but once the truck warms up and I have been driving for a while it won't set again. I wonder if has something to do with my transmission temperature...I did the SMOD bypass a few months ago in the Texas summer, and it worked fine though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At this point, your troubleshooting methodology is just waiting for blind luck to reveal itself the cause. Until you get somebody with skills looking at your truck directly, this hunt and peck and internet guessing game is just going to go in circles for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Likely culprit is the Park/Neutral position switch (PNP). I believe it is sometimes called the Neutral Safety Switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts