Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. So lately my cruise control is very intermittent in 6th gear. It comes on but will not set, or if it does it unsets almost immediately. I tried pulling up on the clutch to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. I tested 5th and 4th and it'll set no problem. I also discovered when it's in 6th and it won't set I can get it to set by holding the stick to the left or right but in natural 6th position it is very intermittent. I'm guessing there's some kind of neutral or gear position switch that's tied into the cruise control. Any help or advice on what to do ?

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
As far as I know any electronics are hooked to the pedals and the steering wheel, I don't know about the trans.
My last truck was a manual and the cruise quit for the last two of its seven years, I rarely use it but my son was driving and tried it.

Clint

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's exactly what it is. On the passenger side of the transmission there are two sensors. One is for your reverse lights and one is a neutral position switch. Mine was malfunctioning. I went and bought the part. I never actually put it in. Mine ended up being a loose connector. When the truck warmed up I would 'loose' cruise control. I removed the collar that Is around the sensor and disconnected it. Cleaned it up some and reconnected it. It works now. I kept the sensor just in case it was a temporary fix, but it's been a couple years. If I remember, the sensor is pretty inexpensive. Part #32006-CD10B. Marked as 32006M.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just took mine off on my M/T, I found it easiest to take the cup holders out then take the console over the shifter off (they all just pop up with spring clips holding then) as well and the rubber boots off and do it from above. 19mm (iirc) open end wrench and using my fingers to get it off worked. Turned and wiggled and jiggled and pushed the switch multiple times and reinstalled (harder to get it in the hole than removing but did it okay) and the cruise works again! FYI when in neutral the switch gets pushed in, can't remember if it makes or breaks contact but it's two bare wires under the rubber boot so you can snip one or solder a jumper and bypass it if you like. It basically shuts cruise off if you bump the shifter out of gear so the engine doesn't rev when the truck slows down.

FYI why couldn't we get autostart on these trucks as there's a built in neutral safety switch..??

·
Read Only
90 Posts
Cruise control doesn't hold set speed

I have a different problem with my cruise control that may be normal, but it's pi$$ing me off. I have a 2017 Pro4x crewcab 6 speed that I just purchased last Oct. I drive 100+ highway miles per day and use my cruise every single day. The problem occurs when there's a decline in the road that causes the truck to coast. When the road levels back out, there is a delay in the cruise kicking back in, causing the truck to lose speed. Then after it drops to 6 or 7 MPH BELOW where I had it set, it usually begins to climb back up to the set speed, although sometimes it doesn't recover and just stays at the lower speed, requiring that I reset it manually, sometimes having to turn it off/on then reset the speed. This is unacceptable to me because it has proven to be very dangerous a few times when I was in tight and heavy traffic. In those situation, you must stay with the flow of traffic or bad things can happen if someone behind you isn't paying attention (which is all the time these days). I haven't had it checked out by the dealer yet, but I definitely plan to because I believe it has to be defective. There is no way any cruise control is supposed to be this sloppy. I've owned a lot of cars and not a single one of them has had cruise control that behaved this way. Has anyone else noticed this issue on your Frontier?

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is unacceptable to me because it has proven to be very dangerous a few times when I was in tight and heavy traffic.
Wouldn't even cross my mind to use cruise in tight and heavy traffic.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Its not really sloppy, it's slow and antiquated. Just the way it is. Mine does the same. I usually just help it along when you get to the bottom of the valley, give it some throttle as it is going up the hill then let off the throttle and let it take over.

Gotta remember a few things:
-It can't see the hill ahead, so it doesn't know its coming
-Being a manual trans, it can't downshift itself
-Its a truck, speed changes come slow.

For reference i have a 2015 ford edge i drive for work, it acts pretty similar, but its an auto so it'll downshift to maintain speed. The manual trans can't, so once it gets so many MPH below set, it kicks out.

·
Read Only
90 Posts
Why not? If more people used cruise control on the highway as it should be used, traffic would flow a lot more smoothly. People who aren't paying attention and varying their speed erratically are the ones messing up the flow of traffic. This is exactly when it makes the most sense to use cruise control.

Its not really sloppy, it's slow and antiquated. Just the way it is. Mine does the same. I usually just help it along when you get to the bottom of the valley, give it some throttle as it is going up the hill then let off the throttle and let it take over.

For reference i have a 2015 ford edge i drive for work, it acts pretty similar, but its an auto so it'll downshift to maintain speed. The manual trans can't, so once it gets so many MPH below set, it kicks out.
I have NEVER experienced this kind of slop in any other vehicle's cruise control that I've owned, and I've owned many vehicles from different manufacturers over the years, mostly manuals. This is absolutely not a common cruise control behavior, so I completely reject that suggestion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, position switch needs replacing. Don't just bypass. You can, but you will get an ses light eventually. If computer doesn't "see" the switch switching, it throws a code.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My 2017 4 cyl manual trans has started doing the same. At the bottom of the hill the truck kept slowing another 5-6 mph under the set speed and then picked back up. This delay is awful. I just had the idle raised at the dealer a few days before and wonder if that has something to do with the crazy delay?

Tt

·
Registered
936 Posts
Why not? If more people used cruise control on the highway as it should be used, traffic would flow a lot more smoothly. People who aren't paying attention and varying their speed erratically are the ones messing up the flow of traffic. This is exactly when it makes the most sense to use cruise control.

I have NEVER experienced this kind of slop in any other vehicle's cruise control that I've owned, and I've owned many vehicles from different manufacturers over the years, mostly manuals. This is absolutely not a common cruise control behavior, so I completely reject that suggestion.
Seems odd. I haven't noticed that issue with my 2010 6spd Pro-4x and there's no shortage of hills here. I honestly wouldn't be using it if it sucked. I had a 2006 Tacoma previously with awful cruise control. I stopped using it when it dropped to 2nd gear and redlined on a hill my Frontier climbs in 6th. It would always downshift on hills then "forget" to upshift after the crest. Is part of why I went back to a manual truck, much nicer for highway driving here in the mountains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a different problem with my cruise control that may be normal, but it's pi$$ing me off. I have a 2017 Pro4x crewcab 6 speed that I just purchased last Oct. I drive 100+ highway miles per day and use my cruise every single day. The problem occurs when there's a decline in the road that causes the truck to coast. When the road levels back out, there is a delay in the cruise kicking back in, causing the truck to lose speed. Then after it drops to 6 or 7 MPH BELOW where I had it set, it usually begins to climb back up to the set speed, although sometimes it doesn't recover and just stays at the lower speed, requiring that I reset it manually, sometimes having to turn it off/on then reset the speed. This is unacceptable to me because it has proven to be very dangerous a few times when I was in tight and heavy traffic. In those situation, you must stay with the flow of traffic or bad things can happen if someone behind you isn't paying attention (which is all the time these days). I haven't had it checked out by the dealer yet, but I definitely plan to because I believe it has to be defective. There is no way any cruise control is supposed to be this sloppy. I've owned a lot of cars and not a single one of them has had cruise control that behaved this way. Has anyone else noticed this issue on your Frontier?
My 2018 4cyl AT does the same thing, brand new. I test drove more than one truck and they all did this. My son travels for work and rents cars on location. He says the Nissans he has rented do this. In more than 40 years of driving cars with cruise control, this is the first I've owned that doesn't smoothly apply throttle as soon as the vehicle speed drops back down to set point after speeding up during a downhill coast. I mentioned it to a service rep at the dealer and he basically gave me some malarkey about it being a safety feature to avoid surging.

My workaround for this bug is to tap cancel, then resume to wake up the cruise as the speed drops below set point. Hitting resume alone doesn't do anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts