Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 frontier se 4.0 rwd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit ambitious about my ideas for my 4.0, I have done a bit of research and found that vq35 cams will work on our vq40's and Jim wolf has come out with adjustable intake and exhaust cam gears, and they have some different valve springs for our motors. And maybe after I do some more research maybe we can use aftermarket vq35 intake and exhaust valves.

But now I'm wondering if it's possible for use to use a stroker kit from a Z or at least forged pistons to help give some strength to the internals?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sounds like some cool ideas...but there's only so much power to be had from a VQ40. If I were going to consider doing anything like that I would probably opt for a VK56 swap instead. It's cooler, more powerful and probably just as cheap and easy to do. Let us know what you eventually do... (y)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have researched the same things you have, not saying I know it all but I know this, you're going to spend WAY more to get WAY less compared to swapping in a bone stock VK.

There is a reason no one bothers with anything past intake, headers, exhaust and uprev with the VQ40.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My experience with all these type performance mods is it creates more power only in the high rpm range, and moves your torque band up that range also. Works great in a 3000 lb z car with a stick. Not so great in a 5000lb pickup.

But if you want to do it - its your rig - go for it.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Take a look at that thread. I love this kinda outside the box stuff, just the cool factor loses out to power output for me.

350z intake manifold conversion with a plenum spacer, weld an LS throttle body flange to it, 3.5" or 4" intake, the smaller BC cams, springs, DT headers and a dual 2.25 exhaust with an X pipe as close to the headers as fitment allows. For shits and giggles, 370z injectors, AEM 340lph fuel pump and run E85

If you want to open it up but stay on a reasonable budget, you could compare the VQ35 or VQ37 pistons since they share the same 95.5mm bore and see if they would give you any rise in compression. I have a set of VQ37 OEM pistons I can attempt to measure the dish/dome on this weekend.

·
Registered
2006 frontier se 4.0 rwd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Take a look at that thread. I love this kinda outside the box stuff, just the cool factor loses out to power output for me.

350z intake manifold conversion with a plenum spacer, weld an LS throttle body flange to it, 3.5" or 4" intake, the smaller BC cams, springs, DT headers and a dual 2.25 exhaust with an X pipe as close to the headers as fitment allows. For shits and giggles, 370z injectors, AEM 340lph fuel pump and run E85

If you want to open it up but stay on a reasonable budget, you could compare the VQ35 or VQ37 pistons since they share the same 95.5mm bore and see if they would give you any rise in compression. I have a set of VQ37 OEM pistons I can attempt to measure the dish/dome on this weekend.
Yea I saw that post by rdrfronty and he's actually the one that inspired me to look into having a crazy N/A 4.0, im looking at beating him in power gains and 0-60. He even gave me the idea to look into making a custom intake manifold for our trucks eventually.

·
Registered
2006 frontier se 4.0 rwd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like some cool ideas...but there's only so much power to be had from a VQ40. If I were going to consider doing anything like that I would probably opt for a VK56 swap instead. It's cooler, more powerful and probably just as cheap and easy to do. Let us know what you eventually do... (y)
I know and I'd like to do a vk swap eventually but I have no where near the money to do so, so instead I'm looking at building up my vq till it can't go any further, and I'm kinda looking for ways to make things and bring a little hype back like maybe a custom intake manifold. But also I set a goal to beat rdrfronty's truck in "fastest n/a 4.0" he was pushing about 325hp 340ftlbs with a 0-60 of 5.6sec

·
Registered
2006 frontier se 4.0 rwd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you can't afford a salvaged vk56, I don't think it's any cheaper to do what your dreamin of.
1-2k for an engine trans and ecu, plus an extra 4k for it to be installed and wired properly just for an extra 5-17hp and 2 more cylinders compared to what I already make

I still plan to vk swap when I can but not till I run this motor to the ground or come across a bunch of cash

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress
[/QUOTE
if you can't afford a salvaged vk56, I don't think it's any cheaper to do what your dreamin of.
Help me out guys. What type of engine is vk56 and what kind of car are they in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts