is this a common problem with the 02 3.3 sc
i guess i have to get headers now i have no choice

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
right hand side?
Yea, its a known problem.
My daughters 01 X has a cracked manifold.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yup very common problem.

You could get aftermarket headers are 03+ stock headers that are re designed.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both sides are cracked lol what junk
i put some **** that should seal it for now but with the engine knocking the way it is i think it is time for a trade in or rebuild

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
both sides are cracked lol what junk
i put some **** that should seal it for now but with the engine knocking the way it is i think it is time for a trade in or rebuild
cracked manifolds sometimes sound a lot like an engine knock. that could be it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well if thats the case then i should try and put a little more effort into sealing the then.....
and i get black smoke on the way up revs and blue at idle when it comes back down then goes away

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
well if thats the case then i should try and put a little more effort into sealing the then.....
and i get black smoke on the way up revs and blue at idle when it comes back down then goes away
IMO...putting a bandaid on a laceration is not going to work, you will need to put a new manifold on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That all depends on the available facilities and the level of DIY. You can access most of the hardware for both manifolds through the wheel wells behind the debris skirts. Removing the bolts is usually the toughest part as they tend to be well corroded onto the studs. Heavy dose of PB Blaster for a few days before the job will help.
Once you have the truck on jack stands, wheels removed and debris covers out the way. You have 3 nuts (14mm) on the catalytic converter side and 7 nuts (14mm) on the cylinder head side. You will need to remove the studs on the catalytic converter side in order to slide the manifold out easily. However if you have enough free movement in your exhaust you could just pry it back over the studs.
If you break a stud you can purchase replacements from a dealer, pricey but at least they carry them. Be prepared to have some moments of unpleasant cussing trying to get the heat shields off. The bolts on these are usually trashed, you will break at least 1 of them.

Good luck, if I missed anything feel free to post I am recalling from memory.

As a side note, smoking especially blue smoke out the rear tail pipe is usually an indicator of worn piston rings. It might be time for an engine rebuild sooner than later.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Black is fuel which can be from the cracked manifolds throwing off your o2 sensors.

Blue is from oil. Either from a ton of oil seeping into the cylinders or from your piston rings failing.

I would figure out the cost on a rebuild and see if it is worth it to you. Then add in the price of headers and if it is still doable, then do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts