Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching for some way of covering the clevis mounts commonly installed on aftermarket front bumpers, when the mounts aren't actually being used for anything.

(image courtesy of Shrockworks)

Ideally, the covers would be made of thick rubber or urethane to provide some protection when tapped by another vehicle, and would be secured with pins for quick installation or removal.

Anyone seen or used anything similar?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd search boat, or even loading dock bumpers for something you modify a little to fit over them.
Funny you should mention that - I had been considering buying a laminated dock bumper, disassembling it to remove all but a few laminations, and re-drilling the remaining laminations and end plates to fit through the clevis pin holes. It would probably look a little rough, but it would definitely take a few dings in stride!

They're not expensive, either - One of them would provide enough laminations to do 4 clevis mounts (without the metal end plates), easy.

What are you willing to pay? You could get a 4" x 4" x 24" block of black UHMW (plastic) from www.mcmaster.com and have a machine shop very easy plunge cut some pockets so that it fits over the tabs, they could also trim the square edges to a rounded profile...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene/=179m3kb
Machining plastic is an interesting suggestion.

Delrin is pretty easy to cut, drill or route...Might even be able to do that myself.

ETA: Hockey pucks are just a couple bucks a piece, and somewhat machineable...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I prefer mine out there an exposed just like the trailer hitch. They're excellent deterrents to those that want to park too close or tailgate.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Could also 3D print some covers if you have access to a printer. They would probably only be good for one hit but the material cost would be very low.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I prefer mine out there an exposed just like the trailer hitch. They're excellent deterrents to those that want to park too close or tailgate.
Amen to that since I put the bumper on people stay further away

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great, until you're the one who rolls into someone else.

If I wanted weapons mounted on the outside of my truck, I'd go with a pair of .50 BMGs.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Unless you add a 3 inch strip to the entire front of the bumper the shackle mounts, winch attachment be it hook or other device and license plate will also tear up the other car. You will likely be above their bumper and push the trunk lid in, so not sure what you are attempting is worth the extra trouble.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
On my particular bumper, the clevis mounts extend around 2.5 inches beyond anything else on the front of the bumper. They would be the first thing to come in contact with another vehicle, by far.

ETA: Think I've found something that will work -

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 12 of 12 Posts