Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 SV King Cab that came with the spray-in liner and bed extender set up. I purchased a Ranch Sierra Cap for it instead of a cover.

I've found out that a major problem that I'm having is that water is blowing into the bed from the drain slots on the end of the bed, as well as the large cracks on either side of the tailgate. The water blows/sloshes along the tracks almost all the way to the front of the bed.

Is there a way to close the gaps so that the interior stays dry? Right now, I've used some stick on rubber to try and act as a gasket along the bottom of the tailgate. Unfortunately, this isn't big enough to close the slots on the bed floor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2014 SV King Cab that came with the spray-in liner and bed extender set up. I purchased a Ranch Sierra Cap for it instead of a cover.

I've found out that a major problem that I'm having is that water is blowing into the bed from the drain slots on the end of the bed, as well as the large cracks on either side of the tailgate. The water blows/sloshes along the tracks almost all the way to the front of the bed.

Is there a way to close the gaps so that the interior stays dry? Right now, I've used some stick on rubber to try and act as a gasket along the bottom of the tailgate. Unfortunately, this isn't big enough to close the slots on the bed floor.

I ordered this last week. Going to install soon.
VERGILIUS 23ft Tailgate Weather...

yekrats

07 SE CC 4x4 Red Brawn purchased in 2019 and Loving it! ::laugh::

Mods: Leveling kit, 285 70R16's. Pretty plain jane but working on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks interesting, but 1.65" width? I'll have to back out and see if I can measure the gap.

Are you going to do one side, or are you going to place on both sides so that they overlap each other? I do like the other stuff listed in the ad, especially the bed to tailgate strip used to cover that gap.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looks interesting, but 1.65" width? I'll have to back out and see if I can measure the gap.

Are you going to do one side, or are you going to place on both sides so that they overlap each other? I do like the other stuff listed in the ad, especially the bed to tailgate strip used to cover that gap.

I’m using it to seal the tailgate. Both sides and across the bottom. That is the only place mine leaks with a ProZ bifold hardtop. There are some gaps at the front of the bed that I will probably shoot with flexseal black.

yekrats

07 SE CC 4x4 Red Brawn purchased in 2019 and Loving it! ::laugh::

Mods: Leveling kit, 285 70R16's. Pretty plain jane but working on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is this one working out for you? Did you need to trim the rubber up near the top of the tailgate by the rubber bumper?

I ordered this, and it seems too large in that area. I'm thinking of returning it, and getting some "P" rubber instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I was planning on putting it at the bottom and sides of the tailgate.

It just looks too wide at the top of the sides of the tailgate, and I may have to trim it. That's why I was thinking that I may return it for some of the smaller "P" rubber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh. Okay. That helps a ton. Pictures make a big difference.

I think that maybe I'll keep it, and do it the way that you did. That seems much better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ahh. Okay. That helps a ton. Pictures make a big difference.

I think that maybe I'll keep it, and do it the way that you did. That seems much better.
Keeps a ton of dust out. Mine only leaks at the very top ever so slightly during hard rains. I’m pretty happy with it as you can’t ever be completely watertight unless you have a bed cap that covers all of the sides and tailgate completely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
... you can’t ever be completely watertight unless you have a bed cap that covers all of the sides and tailgate completely.
I invested nearly $2k in a nice looking ARE cover for my ‘08. It had design flaw pertaining to the rear window (window didn’t close flush with the topper), and it leaked at both corners closest to the truck cab. Turned me completely off to canopies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I invested nearly $2k in a nice looking ARE cover for my ‘08. It had design flaw pertaining to the rear window (window didn’t close flush with the topper), and it leaked at both corners closest to the truck cab. Turned me completely off to canopies.
I’m talking about a cap tonneau. There are a few ABS ones that completely cover the bed and custom paint match options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, another thing that I did yesterday was to shoot expanding foam up under the forward corners of the bed.

I had found an open area under the lip of the front corners of the bed. I crawled underneath while my wife shined a flashlight in the hole. Sure as sh*t, there was lots of light visible. That probably explains why the front of the bed was damp even after I caulked the seams on the forward wall.

The expanding foam should take care of that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So, another thing that I did yesterday was to shoot expanding foam up under the forward corners of the bed.

I had found an open area under the lip of the front corners of the bed. I crawled underneath while my wife shined a flashlight in the hole. Sure as sh*t, there was lots of light visible. That probably explains why the front of the bed was damp even after I caulked the seams on the forward wall.

The expanding foam should take care of that.
I used spray black Flex Seal at first. Stuff stinks. Hard to tell when it was going to expand. Followed up with the caulk type version which was much easier to control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used black silicone caulk for the inside of the bed.

Just to be sure, I squeezed it along the seams, and then I used my finger to push it down into the cracks.

That made a big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
3 Participants
dz130
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing