Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my truck doesn't have an aux. plug and I got an Ipod for my B-day, so the first thing I did was hook up an FM Modulator for my Ipod. One of the guys on the forum hooked me up with one, and the thing suprisingly sounds great! I even ran the wire where the factory aux plug goes for a stock look.

Next I picked up and Bully Dog GT Tuner from Scott over at Fontana Nissan. Little birthday gift to myself :)

Let me tell you, dont let the size fool you, this little thing rocks! I'm running the 87 octane tune for now, took off the throttle restrictions and everything, and the trucks runs 10x better. When you mash your foot into it you can feel the difference in power from 0-50mph. The Driving Coach feature is also really cool. I can tell already that I'm getting better MPG's. It also has a "Perfomance Test" that gives you 1/4 mile times, HP, torque and all kinds of readings that can then be put onto your computer. I played with that a bit up and down my block today hahaha

According to the unit...my truck is now pushing 298 HP at the wheel with about 325 TQ. Not sure how accurate that is becasue it is an estimate, but it's not bad if I do say so myself.

Up next, I'm finally gonna put that lift on I've had since October, and I think and intake is in order as well as a new Y-pipe out back! Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Not to bust your bubble but I think the HP and Torque measurements are off quite a bit (to the high side).
If you notice on the graph next to HP and TQ that is says "Est." (estimated).

I couldn't tell from your sig, so correct me if I'm wrong, the only performance add on you have is the Bully Dog tuner correct?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know its on the high side hahah. And yes, you're right it is estimated. I actually called Bully Dog and asked about it, becasue I thought it seemed too high for just a tune and a timing advance, but they said the performance test should be correct within 10-15 HP so idk. Only real way to find out is with a real dyno which I'm probably going to be doing after the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
be sure to post your dyno results cuz i may have to pick up the bully dog tuner. those numbers do seem quite high

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will, it won't be for a while, still have some other things to do before that. I have a feeling it won't be that high either, but there def is more power than there was before, you can feel it.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
For Those Of Us That Have Sunk Lots Of $$$$ Into Performance. You Would Be High To Have 298 At The Crank Up From The 265 Stock. Much less at the wheels

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Yeah, 265HP stock (at the crank) plus . . . .

1) Free flowing exhaust (I have a Flowmaster custom set-up, "Y" pipe eliminated)
2) Sealed cold air intake (I have a Volant)
3) Tuner (I have the Cortex)

You'd be lucky to be 265 at the wheels after those additions is my guess, which really only gives you back what the drivetrain absorbs.

I think somebody said mid 220s for manual transmissions stock (at the wheels) and automatics are a bit lower than that because of gearing.

I really don't think I gained 30+ more HP from my add-ons, but it's nice to think I have. :)

Maybe that graph is depicting what it (the Bully Dog) thinks you have at the crank?
Either way, that's not what's at the wheels, I'd bet my left nut on that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's the FM Modulator brand? I need to do something similar to my truck soon, not sure what I should go with.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice job on the modulator, looks custom! I got the Bullydog GT tuner as well and just used it to remove the WOT restrictions and speed limiter. My truck will smoke the tires from dead stop now and it pulls really strong!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job on the modulator, looks custom! I got the Bullydog GT tuner as well and just used it to remove the WOT restrictions and speed limiter. My truck will smoke the tires from dead stop now and it pulls really strong!
Thanks man!

As for the modulator, its a Farenhiet something or other...they don't make them anymore I think lol.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Will the Bully Dog tuner let you stop the truck from downshifting so soon? The max speed limit where I live is 50mph and the truck really bogs down quite a bit.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will the Bully Dog tuner let you stop the truck from downshifting so soon? The max speed limit where I live is 50mph and the truck really bogs down quite a bit.
You know, I'm not sure. This thing has a ton of features on it that I haven't even begun to play with. You're best bet would be to call Bully Dog and ask them. Their customer service is excelent.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yeah, 265HP stock (at the crank) plus . . . .

1) Free flowing exhaust (I have a Flowmaster custom set-up, "Y" pipe eliminated)
2) Sealed cold air intake (I have a Volant)
3) Tuner (I have the Cortex)

You'd be lucky to be 265 at the wheels after those additions is my guess, which really only gives you back what the drivetrain absorbs.

I think somebody said mid 220s for manual transmissions stock (at the wheels) and automatics are a bit lower than that because of gearing.

I really don't think I gained 30+ more HP from my add-ons, but it's nice to think I have. :)

Maybe that graph is depicting what it (the Bully Dog) thinks you have at the crank?
Either way, that's not what's at the wheels, I'd bet my left nut on that.
i'd really hate to see you be wrong about this :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
i'd really hate to see you be wrong about this :laugh:
Hey, I've been wrong before. :laugh:
I'd love to get my truck on a dyno and see what it's got as it sits now.

Slight threadjack warning:
What where the Uprev guys putting down after their tune, specifically the ones with aftermarket intakes and exhausts?
Anybody know?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hey, I've been wrong before. :laugh:
I'd love to get my truck on a dyno and see what it's got as it sits now.

Slight threadjack warning:
What where the Uprev guys putting down after their tune, specifically the ones with aftermarket intakes and exhausts?
Anybody know?

i hope that wasnt in conenction with a similar bet made here :nana:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad your happy with the Modulator. The Bully dog Gt looks nice to. What plans do you have for your next mod?
Yea thanks again man! In the mail right now I got an AEM intake, should be here next week. Just put the lift on today. I'm prob gonna delete the secondary cats and put in a new y pipe soon too. Otherwise thats about it for now. O yea and I also got the 18" Nismo's in the garage still!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts