Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering where members with component speakers in the front are hiding their crossovers?

Also, do I need to use the same gauge wire to connect from the crossover to the speaker as I'm using to connect from my amp to the crossover? I was just going to use regular speaker wire to go from the crossover to the speaker if I could get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
X-over on driver's side is in the kick panel.
X-over on the passenger side is up behind the glove box (kick panel was full on that side).

Same gauge speaker wire for everything should be fine.

You amping or going off the headunit for the speakers?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am amping. I've already got everything ran for the amp. Tonight I just have to get the Speaker wire ran bolt my new speakers in.

Also, How did you go about running you wire through the rubber grommet between the doors and the body?

Same gauge speaker wire for everything should be fine.
Sorry, I wasn't clear with my question on the size wire. What I meant was:

Is it okay if the Wires from the crossover to the speaker are smaller gauge then the wire from my amp to the crossover?

I was wondering if it would affect the performance of the speaker with smaller gauge wire.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I am amping. I've already got everything ran for the amp. Tonight I just have to get the Speaker wire ran bolt my new speakers in.

Also, How did you go about running you wire through the rubber grommet between the doors and the body?

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my question on the size wire. What I meant was:

Is it okay if the Wires from the crossover to the speaker are smaller gauge then the wire from my amp to the crossover?

I was wondering if it would affect the performance of the speaker with smaller gauge wire.
The reason I asked about amping was because of your speaker wire.
If you stay under 100 watts to each speaker/door (or set of speakers in a component situation) you should be fine with the factory wiring.
If you go over that (100 watts) then you should probably run heavier gauge wire.

I don't see using a smaller wire as a problem as long as you aren't running high wattage.

What gauge wire are we talking about here?

Factory wiring is probably like 14, not sure didn't measure, but it's pretty wimpy and it handles my 75watts to each door with no issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought the speakers I bought 12 gauge street wire. That's what I'm going to run from my amp to my speakers. I should be fine I'm thinking. I got a Focal Solid 4 amp. It's a 75 watt 4 channel. So, with 12 gauge wire it should work.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
When I bought the speakers I bought 12 gauge street wire. That's what I'm going to run from my amp to my speakers. I should be fine I'm thinking. I got a Focal Solid 4 amp. It's a 75 watt 4 channel. So, with 12 gauge wire it should work.
12 gauge should work just fine for the speakers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As stated above,,my driver side x-over is in the kick and pass. x-over is up, behind the glove box. I just a coat hanger, electrical tape and a little lotion and was able to slide the speaker wire through the rubber grommet into the doors. There are several ways to do this. I just taped the speakerwire to the end of the coat hanger, applied a little lotion and pushed it through the grommet into the door. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As stated above,,my driver side x-over is in the kick and pass. x-over is up, behind the glove box. I just a coat hanger, electrical tape and a little lotion and was able to slide the speaker wire through the rubber grommet into the doors. There are several ways to do this. I just taped the speakerwire to the end of the coat hanger, applied a little lotion and pushed it through the grommet into the door. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck..
Thanks, I got it all installed last night and it went in with no problems. Lotion is the key to getting those wire through that rubber sleve. I used soap but they both have the same effect. The drivers door I didn't use soap and it was a royal pain. After that though, it was nothin. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Just wonderin' how big were these x-overs... just seems like super double sided tape to the door skin woulda been fine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts