Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to map out where i want to place switches for some off-road lights i will be adding to my 2019 Crew cab Pro-4x. While looking around, i noticed a couple of odd things. First, there is a removable gray panel that appears to serve no purpose under the ignition. Second, there is a panel on the roof that is clearly meant for a truck with a sunroof, but there are 2 sets of 3 holes in this which makes me think there is something missing there. Anyone have any insight on these? Pictures below.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nothing stock goes under the keys. It's just a semi soft pad for your keys to hit.

The top panel has you Bluetooth mic in it. People have swapped the panel out for switches/cut holes for switches in the stock panel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing stock goes under the keys. It's just a semi soft pad for your keys to hit.

The top panel has you Bluetooth mic in it. People have swapped the panel out for switches/cut holes for switches in the stock panel.
Thanks for the info! I dont think that spot under the ignition is a good option anyway but i like the idea of the overhead switches if i can remove the paneling easy enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nothing yet will post some pics when i get truck back from dealer had obd digitial smart installed. trailer brake controller and phone mount. will post. waiting on master tech to return tomorrow will be done. his day off.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I cant imagine needing more than 3 switches so as long as there is room for that, i am good.
Always give yourself the option of more. What specifically are you planning to add?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always give yourself the option of more. What specifically are you planning to add?
Im looking to add 2 small LED spot lights, and a single bar, or 2 shorter bars. That would be 2 switches and then i would have a 3rd for whatever else.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
All full. Hill descent and cargo lights.
You can ditch the HDC. It sounds great in theory, but rarely is practical. Only time its useful is if you have a long steep grade with consistent surface.
So if you find yourself headed down a steel slope of basketball size rocks, nope. A slope that changes its angle several times, nope. Loose gravel, maybe...
You have to be in 4x4 for it to work at all. And if you have a short or easy slope that you have to pick your way down, it will let the truck get way too much speed.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Do you know the easiest way to remove that panel?
Yes - pull hard down and rearward on the whole upper console to pop it out of the roof. Then you can poke the panel out from the inside.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This. Six switches, five already in use, one more for the rear project lamps / overlanding camp illumination LED bar, yet to be installed. Three front and two side already installed, two small in front of grille ( 2 x 16"), individually controlled, 1 x 42" curved roof bar and 2 x 22" sidebars for offroading in Maine.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
This. Six switches, five already in use, one more for the rear project lamps / overlanding camp illumination LED bar, yet to be installed. Three front and two side already installed, two small in front of grille ( 2 x 16"), individually controlled, 1 x 42" curved roof bar and 2 x 22" sidebars for offroading in Maine.

View attachment 313721

View attachment 313722
do you have a build thread? I'm curious how you mounted the switches in teh overhead console (ie are they in there solid or just sitting in there, how do you keep the grey trim panel from falling down)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
MTyler, my build thread is Silver Surfer.
I didnt have a garage when I built this, just a 1 bedroom apt ( I now have 4 bedrooms & a two-bay garage ), so I actually was Dremeling the plastic panel in my bathtub to catch all the castoff bits from the cutting wheel. I put three layers of painters tape on the plastic panel, carefully measured the completed switch bezel pack ( each switch has its own bezel, they snap together, again, just like a big-boy's Lego set LOL ) and transferred the markings to the tape and cut it out. The bezels have little ears and if you're real careful with your measurements, they slide in like velvet and are locked for life.
Then the hard part begins. Wiring. Each switch has 4 connections. Very labour intensive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts