Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just for kicks I was curious to see what timing I had on cold start up.

I got somewhere around 20+ degrees and then as the engine warmed it settled back down. Where the engine stays around 10 degrees.

The FSM doesn't say what the timing is at cold startup. However, it does say that when you check it the engine should be warm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like an answer to this question as well. I just replaced the t belt on my 01 vg33e and am planning to do my distributor. Checked ignition timing with old one in and it looks to be about 50 degrees btdc, way off. This was with throttle position sensor disconnected but before engine warmed up, I turned it off as soon as I saw the ignition timing so far off. I did rev it to 2000 rpms like you are supposed to and it was still running very advanced, I figured it would be bad to run it like that until it warmed up. I was sure it was the new t belt being slipped due to some mistake of mine. I removed my distributor cap and put the motor at tdc expecting to see the rotor way off of #1 terminal, it looked to be right at 15 degrees btdc. This shows that my belt is still oriented properly, so why is my motor running such a major ignition timing advance?(plug #1 is firing about 1.5 inches ahead of the notches on crank pulley). Thanks for any help anyone can provide, I am confused and don't want to take my truck all the way apart again to find that the t belt is still installed properly. Is it normal to run such a massive Ignition timing advance? What could cause this other than t belt being off?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts