Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Costco Tire Repair Caused Codes C1704,C1705,C1706, C1707, C1711 ?

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bajasam 
#1 ·
Hello on Sept 10, 2022 I went to Costco to repair a nail puncture in my front right tire after dropping of my vehicle I was told I had to pay $3.25 for a TPMS Sensor Pack Generic Qty 1 so I did thinking that would fix the issue. Next day while driving my check engine light turned on and the following day after I scanned the check engine light below is what I found. My question is how do I approach Costco Tire Center regarding this check engine light without sounding like a clueless customer who doesn't know what he is talking about. Secondly I understand the evap system is not related to TPMS but is there an unknown chance that Raw code: 0448 is a direct result of the TPMS Sensor that was swapped due to the fact that my vehicle had no prior mechanical issues or check engine lights since I purchased it or is it just a coincidence.

Vehicle Type : 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 2WD 4.0L V6
Milage : 74,000
No previous maintenance issues or check engine lights

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Nissan

============1==============
P0448
Raw code: 0448
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Evaporative emission (EVAP) system, vent control - short circuit
Nissan: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
============2==============
P0448
Raw code: 0448
ECU: Engine control unit
Status: Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Evaporative emission (EVAP) system, vent control - short circuit
Nissan: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
============3==============
C1704
Raw code: 5704
ECU: BCM
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated fault present at time of request
Nissan: Right Rear Sensor Circuit Fault
============4==============
C1705
Raw code: 5705
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated fault present at time of request
Nissan: Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Short to Vbat
============5==============
C1706
Raw code: 5706
Nissan: Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Failure
============6==============
C1707
Raw code: 5707
Nissan: Left Rear Center Sensor Circuit Fault
============7==============
C1711
Raw code: 5711
Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test conditions are met, Validated fault present at time of request
Nissan: Left Front Sensor Circuit Short to Vbat

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
When I went to Costco the very first invoice they gave me I didn't keep I threw it away after they returned my vehicle I did however keep the final invoice which they gave me when they handed me my keys I uploaded it below. After I parked my vehicle I walked towards the Tire Center explained to the guy in the front that my tire kept on going flat and how I believed that my tire probably had a nail in it. He then came back and said I would have to pay for a TPMS sensor I just said okay and payed the $3.25 he didn't explain why I needed it nor did I ask smh that was my fault I should've asked why. Issue was my tire kept losing air in one week I had to fill air in my tire twice nothing else was wrong besides that.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Diagram
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Paper
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

#5 ·
last time I checked my battery is was around 11

I Checked am getting 12.4 volts dc after running the headlights for 2 minutes roughly however I do remember the last time I did a voltage test on my battery I got 11.2 volts dc and I was told by the dealership 2 months later that my battery failed the load test when I went in to do a routine a oil change. It could probably be my battery I shall pick up a new interstate battery soon.

#9 ·
Service Pack is a seal or two and probably new schrader valve etc. Basically they rebuild the body of the sensor and this would be the equiv of replacing a valve stem.

Doubt there is any linkage to CEL. They probably couldn't trip the CEL even if they wanted to via anything related to tires.
Would a TPMS reset fix this issue or should I just go back to Costco this weekend to have it inspected ? and can I know what is CEL referring to ?

#10 ·
Welcome to Club Frontier....Sorry to hear about your tire / evap issues.

I doubt your Evap issue, (P0448), is related to your tire issue. Looking at your Costco receipt, your vehicle is about 5 years old & only has about 75K miles on it. Looks like Costco personnel only worked on the FRONT passenger tire UNLESS they did a tire balance & rotation and serviced your tires....did they?? Also, seeing that it's a Southern California truck, you are not, (or shouldn't be - that is unless you go offroading / river crossing - I doubt it though..you're 2 wheel drive), plagued with the snow / rust / salt issues most Midwest & East Coast Frontiers see - Apologies if I left out our North America Canadian brethren - you guys are a whole different story - you guys get snow in FEET...not inches. Unfortunately our 2nd Generation Frontiers were plagued with the PO448 DTC code - Nissan is aware of it since they issued a Technical Service Manual on it, (it's also been updated a few times too - Up to Version "E" now....see attached link below).

You can attempt the repair yourself if you like, but you MIGHT need a "specialty" tool to unclip the fuel hose - you'll see when you watch the attached YouTube video...

Anyhow, as for Costco causing your tire issues, (C17xx codes), the only thing I can think of is the mechanic performing the repair did not reset the sensors on your tire(s) correctly. Usually they have a hand held tool that can link with your car's Tire Pressure Monitor System & performs that function, but if the mechanic was in a rush to get the job done, he could have forgotten to reset the sensor(s), or did not reset the sensor properly. Since Costco only sells tires & batteries, the only way they could trigger your C17xx codes was if they removed all your tires from your vehicle and performed a wheel balance & rotation on all your tires.

If you want to learn more about your Tire Pressure Monitoring System, you can download a copy of the Nissan Factory Service Manual from the attached web link:

Hope this helps.... Good Luck!!

#12 ·
You have a strange set of codes. Most of the codes - C1704, C1705 etc are all related to the TPMS Looks like all your TPMS's need to be properly re-integrated in the BCM?. Why they touched it to begin with is beyond me, from the WO it sounds like they simply replaced the seals around the TPMS, so it shouldn't have needed reprogramming.

I doubt also the evap code is something they caused, but its showing short circuit so maybe the whole thing - both the TPMS codes and the evap code is a wiring issue, so I wonder if they caught a wire or something while replacing the tire - which I don't know how they would based on how far up in the frame they are?

I would start by asking Costco to reprogram your TPMS sensors and see where it goes from there.

#18 · (Edited)
You were correct I purchased a new interstate battery on Monday the CEL hasn't returned I just wished I had it all figured out prior to taking my car in to Costco. When they inspected my Tpms sensors the rear left and right sensors weren't messaging back to the BCM from what I was told and how the sensors batteries could be dead. I payed $44 per sensor and $14 per installation for a grand total w/ tax of $123.68 the same price of buying a new battery smh. That same day I knew it was my battery my little experience in electrical told me it had to do with the load since the EVAP and TPMS sensors where all located in the rear of the vehicle and the short circuit codes must of been in regards to voltage drop since my battery was nearly dying. Anyways thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it !!!!

#14 ·
OK ....... I might be the goofy one here but I'm kind wondering WHY the Costco tech would automatically tell someone they need a new TPMS sensor just because they have a tire that's continually going soft/flat. Did the tire/air experts at Costco ever make any attempt to determine the cause of the air leakage? Also, $3.25 for a TPMS sensor? Really? You can't buy a cheap Chinese knock-off of a cheap Chinese knock-off one online for that price and a low dollar one online is gonna cost ya $15.00 - $18.00 and good ones are gonna cost ya upwards $25.00 - $35.00 a pop or more. So that brings us to just what exactly did the tire/air experts at Costco do or not do or screw up when they did or did not scan or attempted to scan or scrambled their "new generic" TPMS sensor code into the trucks computer system?

Sorry folks this whole scenario reeks!
*Moral of the story ........ Do not let the nursery school dropouts at the big box store auto center screw with your vehicle.

#15 ·
OK ....... I might be the goofy one here but I'm kind wondering WHY the Costco tech would automatically tell someone they need a new TPMS sensor just because they have a tire that's continually going soft/flat. Did the tire/air experts at Costco ever make any attempt to determine the cause of the air leakage? Also, $3.25 for a TPMS sensor? Really? You can't buy a cheap Chinese knock-off of a cheap Chinese knock-off one online for that price and a low dollar one online is gonna cost ya $15.00 - $18.00 and good ones are gonna cost ya upwards $25.00 - $35.00 a pop or more. So that brings us to just what exactly did the tire/air experts at Costco do or not do or screw up when they did or did not scan or attempted to scan or scrambled their "new generic" TPMS sensor code into the trucks computer system?

Sorry folks this whole scenario reeks!
*Moral of the story ........ Do not let the nursery school dropouts at the big box store auto center screw with your vehicle.
They didn’t replace a generic TPMS sensor for $3.25. They charged him $3.25 for a TPMS generic service kit. Seals, maybe a valve stem. For all we know that’s where it was leaking.

#17 ·
I believe there is an error in that video. There is a hose from the canister to the Purge Valve, but that hose should come directly from the canister and not from the vent valve. It appeared to me that twice, he identified the hose from the vent valve as going to the purge valve. That hose should actually go to a filter that keep debris from getting into the canister and is usually found on top of the gas tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.